Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2021, 04:59 PM   #1961
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are video cards ever going to be available again? I have enough money saved up to do my build, but can't find a video card anywhere...
Old 03-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #1962
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Are video cards ever going to be available again? I have enough money saved up to do my build, but can't find a video card anywhere...
SO many pre-orders I doubt you’ll find local.
I’ve seen them come in stock online but are gone within minutes.

Of course does t help that crypto miners covet these newer cards.
Dreaming for one myself
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #1963
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I've mentioned before, the only way to get a card right now to commit to following a Twitch tracker and jumping on stock when they show up.

https://www.twitch.tv/war10ck3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #1964
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been following warlock. Just don't have the patience right now.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #1965
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Had a bit of a scare earlier today when GPU fans started revving and framerates were noticeably below normal. Turns out my case intake filters were stuffed with dust. CPU fins were starting get bad but the 1070 looked nearly brand-new clean ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Might need to redo the thermal compound but the temperature is only a few degrees off now and I don't want to risk accidently bricking my GPU since I do not have a backup and would be a hell of a job to find a replacement.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:44 AM   #1966
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
Had a bit of a scare earlier today when GPU fans started revving and framerates were noticeably below normal. Turns out my case intake filters were stuffed with dust. CPU fins were starting get bad but the 1070 looked nearly brand-new clean ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Might need to redo the thermal compound but the temperature is only a few degrees off now and I don't want to risk accidently bricking my GPU since I do not have a backup and would be a hell of a job to find a replacement.
Yeah it's usually a good idea to reapply thermal paste every ~2-3 years on a well-used GPU. They get much hotter than CPUs on the average and it dries them out very fast.

Quote:
Old 03-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #1967
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Two questions:

1. I'm looking to get a Synology DS1621+ sometime this year (https://www.newegg.ca/synology-ds1621/p/N82E16822108752), is there some site that I could signup with to get price alerts for good sales? I'm hoping that it drops below $1k in the near future

2. Is there a better hard drive in dollar/TB than the Seagate Exos 16TB right now? https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-256MB-...s%2C228&sr=8-1
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:06 PM   #1968
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Two questions:

1. I'm looking to get a Synology DS1621+ sometime this year (https://www.newegg.ca/synology-ds1621/p/N82E16822108752), is there some site that I could signup with to get price alerts for good sales? I'm hoping that it drops below $1k in the near future

2. Is there a better hard drive in dollar/TB than the Seagate Exos 16TB right now? https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-256MB-...s%2C228&sr=8-1
What are using the NAS for and are you really looking high levels of redundancy? Or are you just storing files, running media servers/VMs? If its just files, VMs, and webservers and you don't need more than 2 drive redundancy, you could consider using Unraid on PC hardware. I moved off of one of these Synology NAS awhile back and put together a Ryzen 7 3700 Unraid NAS with 72TB storage in a Fractal Design Node 304. Performance is far superior for my Plex/VM/PiHole/VPN use case. Yes I know video cards are impossible to get atm. You could probably find a used 3400G or an Intel CPU+board combo and it'd come out to cheaper than the Synology with way more processing power.

If you aren't afraid to shuck drives for your NAS, the sweet spot $20/TB. I have 6 of these and they all ended up being Seagate Iron Wolf Pro drives inside.
https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Expans...88S5HDTV&psc=1

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-26-2021 at 10:31 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:29 PM   #1969
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
What are using the NAS for and are you really looking high levels of redundancy? Or are you just storing files, running media servers/VMs? If its just files, VMs, and webservers and you don't need more than 2 drive redundancy, you could consider using Unraid on PC hardware. I moved off of one of these Synology NAS awhile back and put together a Ryzen 7 3700 Unraid NAS with 72TB storage in a Fractal Design Node 304. Performance is far superior for my Plex/VM/PiHole use case

If you aren't afraid to shuck drives for your NAS, the sweet spot $20/TB. I have 6 of these and they all ended up being Seagate Iron Wolf Pro drives inside.
https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Expans...88S5HDTV&psc=1
We just did a hardware refresh at work moving most users from desktops to laptops (yay pandemic), so as a result I had my pick of Optiplex 7070 workstations to take home. Ended up an I7-9700 with 16GB of RAM, but it's a micro form factor so I can't put any drives inside of it. For storage I just want one drive of redundancy that I can start out with 2 drives and expand as I go without losing existing data, so Synology's hybrid RAID setup would be perfect. And I'd rather not shuck drives, that's a lot of work and e-waste just to save a few bucks
Old 03-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #1970
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We just did a hardware refresh at work moving most users from desktops to laptops (yay pandemic), so as a result I had my pick of Optiplex 7070 workstations to take home. Ended up an I7-9700 with 16GB of RAM, but it's a micro form factor so I can't put any drives inside of it. For storage I just want one drive of redundancy that I can start out with 2 drives and expand as I go without losing existing data, so Synology's hybrid RAID setup would be perfect. And I'd rather not shuck drives, that's a lot of work and e-waste just to save a few bucks
Unraid is designed specifically for flexible drive additions and is a software raid setup. I started out with only 10TB of storage and expanded slowly over a few months as prices on the drives came down in sales. You could repurpose the mobo/cpu/ram from those work stations and put them in server cases as well. By default Unraid uses XFS JBOD with parity and you can get to better parity/read-write performance striping if you go the ZFS route. Another similar solution is FreeNAS.

Just some alternatives for you.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #1971
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

For price alerts camelcamelcamel works for Amazon, not sure about other sites.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #1972
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use the Distill.io for other sites that shopbot and camelcamelcamel don't work for
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 08:49 PM   #1973
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Unraid is designed specifically for flexible drive additions and is a software raid setup. I started out with only 10TB of storage and expanded slowly over a few months as prices on the drives came down in sales. You could repurpose the mobo/cpu/ram from those work stations and put them in server cases as well. By default Unraid uses XFS JBOD with parity and you can get to better parity/read-write performance striping if you go the ZFS route. Another similar solution is FreeNAS.

Just some alternatives for you.
I've played around a bit with unraid, but as someone who works with VM and storage stuff everyday for work I don't really have a desire to have a complex environment at home. I want Synology for the simplicity even if it costs a bit more
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #1974
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

WTF is going on with hard drives? The 16TB Seagate Exos was $450 at Amazon for months, but now it's out of stock and the places that do have it (newegg) it's now $650. I bought one last month and was planning on buying another two later in the year along with my NAS, but now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy them now while I still can

Godamn crypto miners ruining PC hardware for everyone else
Old 04-25-2021, 03:41 PM   #1975
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

lol yeah. I've been trying to score a new GPU the past month or two by following the Twitch/youtube streams and trying to get on top of drops, like AMD's site and Best Buy, but have been unsuccessful so far. Had a card in my cart a from a prior attempt at BB that I failed to get so I figured the next time I'd have a better chance considering I wouldn't have to go through the carting process which is obviously just one click of a button but in these trying times every second wasted matters a lot lol. Failed again and I have basically just given up at this point. Haven't bothered at all in the last couple weeks.

As for HDD's I've been seeing on tech news channels there is some new crypto mining thingy...called Chia? Think it utilizes empty space on HDD's for mining or something like that. Probably why stock is plummeting and prices going up on everything 4TB's and higher.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #1976
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
As I've mentioned before, the only way to get a card right now to commit to following a Twitch tracker and jumping on stock when they show up.

https://www.twitch.tv/war10ck3d
I happened to have Discord up while playing poker on Friday/Saturday night at 1am. There 1660s dropped at Newegg while I was watching the feed. I clicked the third one and it showed that I could add it to my cart. By the time I moused over to the button it switched to out of stock. This was like 0.5s.

Are bots snatching these up?
Old 04-25-2021, 10:14 PM   #1977
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WTF is going on with hard drives? The 16TB Seagate Exos was $450 at Amazon for months, but now it's out of stock and the places that do have it (newegg) it's now $650. I bought one last month and was planning on buying another two later in the year along with my NAS, but now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy them now while I still can

Godamn crypto miners ruining PC hardware for everyone else
All HDDs went up because of a PoS (lol) coin launching soon called Chia

Quote:
Old 04-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #1978
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Nice to see crypto continuing to ruin every single thing it touches.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #1979
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I need a good high refresh rate monitor maybe some crypto coder could engineer a way to mine crypto with one. Then when the crash happens I could score a good cheap used one along with a good video card, hard drive, CPU, and power supply.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:43 PM   #1980
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok - so I was able to land a 3070 but pure luck at Memory Express - super happy so I snatched it and ran.

Do I need to upgrade everything else?

CPU: Intel i5 8400
Mobo: MSI z370-A Pro
RAM: DDR4 2 x 8GB

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote