Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2024, 12:34 AM   #8821
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Just watched Saltburn.

Nope. Not for me. Didn’t hate it. Definitely didn’t enjoy it.
Shut up and drink your bathwater.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:42 AM   #8822
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Continuing with the Alien films, I watched Alien 3, the special edition that's 2 and a half hours. I didn't outright hate the film, I actually really dug the vibe Fincher was going for. The prison he created looked really cool and looked like something out of Seven. I also like how they went back to one Xenomorph, and it also had a feeling of isolation similar to the first one. And I thought the story worked for the most part, they just jammed too much into it. If they split it into 2 films it could have really been something special and up to par with the first 2, but the film we got is a few notches below the first 2. I also hated that they killed a certain someone in the opening credits and the CGI in this was rough. When the Xenomorph was still it looked good but any movement looked really bad. It's crazy that the film from 92 had worse special effects than one from the 70s and one from the 80s. And I thought the death at the end worked, it was impactful and handled well.
It's not a better movie, but I find Alien 3 more interesting than Aliens.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 12:37 PM   #8823
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most people formed their distaste for 3 from the original version, and that's fair, it was a mess of a movie. The special edition is much better, and really worth watching.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 12:44 PM   #8824
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, was Infinity Pool a weird experience. Basically a Cronenbergized version of Hostel.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 01:18 PM   #8825
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Man, was Infinity Pool a weird experience. Basically a Cronenbergized version of Hostel.
so many fluids
Old 04-09-2024, 02:50 PM   #8826
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
It's not a better movie, but I find Alien 3 more interesting than Aliens.
3 is notorious for being plagued by production and script problems, and constant fights between Fincher and the studio. But I really like the “assembly cut” that was included in the Alien Anthology box set. It’s a better film than the theatrical version IMO.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 02:59 PM   #8827
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
so many fluids

I can’t look at Alex Skarsgard again the same way. Why did he look like he was in so much pain getting a handjob? Was it because he was trying to pee at the same time?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:53 PM   #8828
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alien Resurrection was terrible IMO, did not like it at all. So many terrible ideas. I've always thought Joss Wheadon was overrated, and his writing in this one is awful. The hybrid human/Xenomorph at the end was laughable in the design and execution. By far the worst Alien movie
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 03:31 AM   #8829
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Alien Resurrection was terrible IMO, did not like it at all. So many terrible ideas. I've always thought Joss Wheadon was overrated, and his writing in this one is awful. The hybrid human/Xenomorph at the end was laughable in the design and execution. By far the worst Alien movie
After the one-two punch of Alien and Aliens it was all downhill, I didn't like Covenant either.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 04:45 AM   #8830
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah this is definitely a movie that's destroyed by the terrible script. The cast is great, the director is good, the budget was there...
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 07:23 AM   #8831
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Finished off Alien 3 last night, Aliens was last week and rewatched the original Alien last month. Yeah, the special effects are really bad in 3. Overall I'm just not a huge fan of these movies, just not in my wheelhouse. I'll still check out Resurrection, I might have never seen that one, I have no memory of Wynona Ryder.

I stand by my opinion that Prometheus is a far more interesting film, just better overall. Although I understand how the original 1979 film would be #1 on everyone's list, especially for the time and with Ridley Scott in charge.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:13 AM   #8832
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

My issue with Covenant, which I like mostly, was that it tried to serve two masters. It is trying to be a sequel to the different tone and scope of Prometheus and be even more of an a classic Alien movie.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:24 AM   #8833
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Josh Whedon is totally terrible. Buffy was super overrated. Like it was a CBC show. Firefly was meh and didn't even finish it. Avengers was garbage and Justice League was the worst superhero movie ever made.
Old 04-10-2024, 09:56 AM   #8834
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Josh Whedon is totally terrible. Buffy was super overrated. Like it was a CBC show. Firefly was meh and didn't even finish it. Avengers was garbage and Justice League was the worst superhero movie ever made.
I dont know about his long lost brother Josh, but Joss Whedon was hit or miss.

Other than Firefly.

#browncoats

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:10 AM   #8835
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Firefly was meh
Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:16 AM   #8836
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Yeah, Firefly and Serenity were awesome.

Avengers is good too. In my opinion, if it didn't work and the franchise would have struggled to get to Infinity War/Endgame.

He also wrote Toy Story and The Cabin in the Woods which are great.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 12:33 PM   #8837
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Yeah this is definitely a movie that's destroyed by the terrible script. The cast is great, the director is good, the budget was there...
I would say the CGI in the underwater scenes did not age well but there's some good gross out moments. There was potential with the cast and some of the story but it just wasn't cohesive enough. Like most of the sequels after Aliens, it's just not as good as it could and should have been. I have faint hope that Romulus can buck the trend but not holding my breath.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 01:13 PM   #8838
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
It had great potential, especially with the themes of human intervention, playing god and the Ripley clone but holy crap they ruined it with that terrible 3rd act.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 11:11 AM   #8839
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got to see Civil War last night, quite enjoyed it although one of those movies where it takes a lot out of you at the end. I had not seen any of the trailers or heard a lot about it going in, I wasn't really interested in seeing it, but very glad I went. Focuses on the photo journalists covering the war, and the war itself is almost secondary. I liked that it didn't hold your hand through it and have a ton of exposition between the characters to build the background.

Would recommend.
cheevers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 11:29 AM   #8840
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
Got to see Civil War last night, quite enjoyed it although one of those movies where it takes a lot out of you at the end. I had not seen any of the trailers or heard a lot about it going in, I wasn't really interested in seeing it, but very glad I went. Focuses on the photo journalists covering the war, and the war itself is almost secondary. I liked that it didn't hold your hand through it and have a ton of exposition between the characters to build the background.

Would recommend.
Wait, sorry, what? Civil War?

I assume you're not talking about Captain America: Civil War, the Marvel movie, so this was presumably a documentary about the American Civil war?

In which case, which one? I've seen the Ken Burns PBS one which, its Ken Burns, so it was fantastic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote