Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2024, 07:51 PM   #3201
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I forgot about this place which is a few blocks from a house that my brother owns.

1615 20 Ave NW
https://maps.app.goo.gl/o4xNbm4XEDmQZtQz6

It is no bigger than the house across the street, just has more doors.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 09:55 PM   #3202
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those all look perfectly fine.

Quote:
I forgot about this place which is a few blocks from a house that my brother owns.

1615 20 Ave NW
Okay, that one's a weirdo, but mostly because of the lack of windows on the second floor and completely windowless third floor. I want to know WTF is going on in there.

That one isn't a mess because it's a multi-family. It's a mess because of how it's designed. That can happen just as badly with SFHs as with multi-families. There's no accounting for taste.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:48 PM   #3203
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Those all look perfectly fine.

Okay, that one's a weirdo, but mostly because of the lack of windows on the second floor and completely windowless third floor. I want to know WTF is going on in there.

That one isn't a mess because it's a multi-family. It's a mess because of how it's designed. That can happen just as badly with SFHs as with multi-families. There's no accounting for taste.
I find the house to the left intriguing. If you zoom in on the lower part of the big window on the house on the left, I’m pretty sure that’s a demon.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:36 PM   #3204
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

If there is one thing I expect when buying a house, it's that absolutely nothing around me will ever change for the next 60 years I live there.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 11:46 PM   #3205
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Too bad he defected to Vancouver.
Still stuck with me until the end of the month :-)
Old 04-20-2024, 06:07 AM   #3206
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
If there is one thing I expect when buying a house, it's that absolutely nothing around me will ever change for the next 60 years I live there.
That’s what I tell folks. Want to decide what goes up across the street? Buy across the street.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 06:23 AM   #3207
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also a couple high rises on that little island in Mahogany wouldn’t hurt for optics.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9JussXQCYwAjs7PeA?g_st=ic
Old 04-20-2024, 07:04 AM   #3208
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
That’s what I tell folks. Want to decide what goes up across the street? Buy across the street.
There’s a limit to this though. A few years ago a guy in our neighbourhood wanted to run his electrical business from his house (all the vans and employees coming and going kind of thing, not just him running his business). I don’t think that we should allow that kind of thing without the community having some input.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:08 AM   #3209
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
There’s a limit to this though. A few years ago a guy in our neighbourhood wanted to run his electrical business from his house (all the vans and employees coming and going kind of thing, not just him running his business). I don’t think that we should allow that kind of thing without the community having some input.
I agree it should be that way but nothing in life is as it should be.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 08:11 AM   #3210
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

It is a weird development and I'm a bit surprised the city allowed it. It is actually 8 units on a single lot. 4 accessible from the front with two upper units and two basement units. Another separate building in the rear has the same two upper and two lower units.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 09:05 AM   #3211
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
I agree it should be that way but nothing in life is as it should be.
And there’s a conflict between “I own this property and I should be able to do what I want with it” and “the rest of the surrounding community should have some say and enjoy their property as well”.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:20 AM   #3212
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And there’s a conflict between “I own this property and I should be able to do what I want with it” and “the rest of the surrounding community should have some say and enjoy their property as well”.
In the residential zoning being discussed this conflict is mostly imaginary. It comes down to classism.

Essentially if you boil down these zoning objections to their core they are I don’t want anyone parking in front of my house and I don’t want to live near people poorer than me.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 11:02 AM   #3213
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
The community should have zero input. We should have clear laws that state what you can do with certain land uses, no matter if you live in a community full of retired lawyers that can spend all their time and money advocating for their self interests or not.

Luckily, we already have this. And permitting takes into account noise and fumes generated, as well as parking demand: https://www.calgary.ca/for-business/...nningapproval?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 11:20 AM   #3214
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
The community should have zero input. We should have clear laws that state what you can do with certain land uses, no matter if you live in a community full of retired lawyers that can spend all their time and money advocating for their self interests or not.

Luckily, we already have this. And permitting takes into account noise and fumes generated, as well as parking demand: https://www.calgary.ca/for-business/...nningapproval?
Exactly. If everything came down to a discussion with the community, then the Slavas of the world would shut down literally everything.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:40 AM   #3215
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can understand the concern with a business like that with multiple vehicles due to parking and theft concerns. But years ago I had a friend who was starting up a home business and even though there would be no impact on street parking(he was literally going to pour a parking pad to ensure that his business wouldn’t create issues) what seemed like the entire community of retired original owners came out to the hearing to successfully stop him from getting his permit.

Less than 20 years later and that entire block of bungalows from the 50s has been replaced by infills and townhouses.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 11:40 AM   #3216
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Exactly. If everything came down to a discussion with the community, then the Slavas of the world would shut down literally everything.
Haha, “the Slavas of the world”. This is hilarious because my position on this is much more middle of the road than a lot of people. I’m not even opposing the citywide rezoning or anything like that at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 11:58 AM   #3217
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, “the Slavas of the world”. This is hilarious because my position on this is much more middle of the road than a lot of people. I’m not even opposing the citywide rezoning or anything like that at this point.
Too late, the Slava Archetype has now entered our lexicon. I look forward to using/abusing it in future posts.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 12:21 PM   #3218
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Too late, the Slava Archetype has now entered our lexicon. I look forward to using/abusing it in future posts.
I look forward to using it myself, I’ve really arrived!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 01:39 PM   #3219
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

1615 20 Ave NW
Oof...that one is butt ugly.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 01:44 PM   #3220
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You could almost say we are now "slaves" to it.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote