Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #321
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
This is a pretty funny thread. Can't believe what I'm reading most of the time...

I forgot about how bad CP can get in the offseason.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 10:32 PM   #322
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
there was a pile of rumour mongering at the end of last season that there was quite a bit of locker room drama going on in Colorado, and that there were kinda factions of players that didn't like each other.

I have a feeling there was some truth to it, and that's one of the reasons why Duchene was getting shopped.

I don't think the Flames have a locker room problem though, so the concept of addition by subtraction doesn't seem to make sense to me in terms of some of the Flames better players.
Hard to say exactly. Sometimes when people start to pout there's no turning back.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:39 PM   #323
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

The players who need to be moved are stone and ferland. Obviously Brouwer and Stajan are done but even if you recoup a pair of 2nd rounders for those two I think you are ahead. I honestly am not really that worried about making a big swing. I think changing the coach will have a greater impact than anything else, but we need to meet some smaller moves. If you get a couple picks back you can replenish a little but honestly this roster isn’t terrible, it just needs direction and a more stern voice because it is so young.

Only other guy I’d consider trading is Gio, and that’s only because of age, but I would be hesitant unless it included a methot level d man, a top 6 rw and a puck or prospect
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:24 AM   #324
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
The players who need to be moved are stone and ferland. Obviously Brouwer and Stajan are done but even if you recoup a pair of 2nd rounders for those two I think you are ahead. I honestly am not really that worried about making a big swing. I think changing the coach will have a greater impact than anything else, but we need to meet some smaller moves. If you get a couple picks back you can replenish a little but honestly this roster isn’t terrible, it just needs direction and a more stern voice because it is so young.

Only other guy I’d consider trading is Gio, and that’s only because of age, but I would be hesitant unless it included a methot level d man, a top 6 rw and a puck or prospect
Two years ago the Flames picked up Stone for a 3rd. Other than being two years older, what has Stone done to elevate his value? Doubtful you're getting a second for him leading up to, or at, the draft. You might get a Second for him at the deadline when the value for players is high.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #325
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I disagree. I think Ferland is a must-trade in the offseason. I am almost 100% confident that his value will never be higher.
That may be true but he is not going to bring back a 1st.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #326
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it interesting that a lot of folks have identified the lack of compete as a major problem with the Flames and then quickly add that they would not consider moving Hamilton who is the non-compete poster boy.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #327
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I find it interesting that a lot of folks have identified the lack of compete as a major problem with the Flames and then quickly add that they would not consider moving Hamilton who is the non-compete poster boy.
Hamilton might be player that could bring you the most in return.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #328
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m interested to see what a late first round pick goes for this year. Remember last year Ryan Frickin Reaves was traded for the 31st overall pick. I sincerely hope BT doesn’t overpay to redeem a pick.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #329
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

Ricardodw is right. Broken clocks and all that.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:56 AM   #330
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the team struggles to score even when all of the top guys are having career years, moving a guy like Gaudreau is never going to happen. They need more offensively talented players, not less.

Brodie seems like the obvious choise, since there is some depth on defense. His value is at its lowest though, not sure what he could fetch. Maybe a late first?

Hamilton would fetch the biggest return obviously.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #331
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
If the team struggles to score even when all of the top guys are having career years, moving a guy like Gaudreau is never going to happen. They need more offensively talented players, not less.

Brodie seems like the obvious choise, since there is some depth on defense. His value is at its lowest though, not sure what he could fetch. Maybe a late first?

Hamilton would fetch the biggest return obviously.

I think Brodie could return more than that. Yes he is having a bad year but even in a bad year he almost got 40 points. Top 4 dmen are in demand .
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #332
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Ricardodw is right. Broken clocks and all that.
Nope, you're just both wrong.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #333
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Nope, you're just both wrong.
Do tell me about Hamilton's compete level as he quits on plays and takes holding calls on guys he could easily catch up to with his deerlike skating.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #334
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving pursuing a first is an odd move to me.

He just spent last season trading all his picks to improve the roster. Now he will turn around and trade a roster player to recoup one of his lost picks?

Actively weakening the roster to gain picks is a reversal of his previous direction.

Maybe if he packages the 2019 first rounder with something to land a 2018 first that fits in with his prior moves. Not sure how often a move like that happens though.

A lot of teams likely want to make the pick if they aren't going to use it to trade for a roster player.

A team like Vegas perhaps that is rich in picks might want to stagger their ELCs.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #335
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading Dougie Hamilton would be one of the stupidest things this team could do. I highly doubt he will be traded because Treliving isn’t an idiot.

Quite frankly if Hamilton was traded I don’t know if I could be a fan of this team anymore. The Flames need more guys like Hamilton, not less.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #336
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Two years ago the Flames picked up Stone for a 3rd. Other than being two years older, what has Stone done to elevate his value? Doubtful you're getting a second for him leading up to, or at, the draft. You might get a Second for him at the deadline when the value for players is high.
When the Flames acquired Stone, it was a deadline deal to get a player on an expiring contract (not actually at the deadline, but close enough). It was a third round pick for a month and a half of service.

Now, he is a player locked in for another two seasons.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #337
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Ya he scores goals but causes more from his bone head plays. Keep thinking Dougie is Norris Calibre. You're on here all day , get a life.
FTFY
Old 03-24-2018, 02:01 PM   #338
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
When the Flames acquired Stone, it was a deadline deal to get a player on an expiring contract (not actually at the deadline, but close enough). It was a third round pick for a month and a half of service.

Now, he is a player locked in for another two seasons.
True, that's a good point.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #339
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
And we won a ton of playoff series and games with Regehr
Not a lot of PO series actually. Just 2004.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #340
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Trading Dougie Hamilton would be one of the stupidest things this team could do. I highly doubt he will be traded because Treliving isn’t an idiot.

Quite frankly if Hamilton was traded I don’t know if I could be a fan of this team anymore. The Flames need more guys like Hamilton, not less.
Might want to consider what the return would be before coming across so strongly.

On one hand you have fans saying you can't trade Btodie now because it would be selling low. If that holds true, would the Flames not be selling high on dougie right now?

What's interesting about Dougie is, the bruins moved him in part because Julien didn't trust him. Then Hartley didn't trust him, & Gulutzan obviously had his questions as well.