Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #841
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It really is disappointing that no federal parties are willing to spend the political capital to get these projects going sooner rather than later. We can't expect projects like Keystone XL to get approval south of the border when we can't get things approved here though.
I agree with you completely. I do however have more fear of a Trudeau government with Gerald Butts as his chief advisor.

Last year Kenny came out and said that Trudeau had very little interest in pushing our Oil to markets because it would go against his environmental beliefs, it looks like he's vindicated with today's announcement. Butts was very anti-oilsands and kept bleating about Canada being able to have alternative economy by 2050 and not pushing for pipelines. He later backed off on those statements because it would hurt Justin's campaign. But Butts is no friend of this province.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #842
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It really is disappointing that no federal parties are willing to spend the political capital to get these projects going sooner rather than later. We can't expect projects like Keystone XL to get approval south of the border when we can't get things approved here though.
There's no way to overcome the opposition from a political perspective though, between the environment, native rights and provincial rights there is no upside politically at all.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #843
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the CAD has done nothing but increase in value for the past week and 2 days. I am personally not pleased with that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:23 PM   #844
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Funny how some people criticized me when I said there was no chance I would consider voting for Trudeau until he demonstrated, via action, that he cared one whit about Albertans. Right there, you see why. Like his father, his political allegiance lies with central Canada, and everyone else can get bent.
To be fair, his stance on this issue also reflects him pandering to BC, so he is paying attention to one part of Western Canada.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #845
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Well the CAD has done nothing but increase in value for the past week and 2 days. I am personally not pleased with that.
I'm going to Vegas next weekend, so I'm pretty jazzed about it. I'm wondering if I should buy USD now or wait a bit longer.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #846
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty depressing economic and political environment for the majority of Albertans right now. Or at least that's how I'm feeling.

If I wasn't married with kids I'd consider packing up and going West (or East? Maybe? I don't know). With the NDP just getting going and JT for another 4 years approximately I don't see this getting any better.

It's like having cancer and going into the hospital only to be told "we've got a great treatment plan for you, just come back in 3 years and we'll be ready to get started".

Sorry, by then I'll be dead. But hey, that likely solves your real problem which is that you really don't want a plan for me anyway.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #847
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'm going to Vegas next weekend, so I'm pretty jazzed about it. I'm wondering if I should buy USD now or wait a bit longer.
I've been told the CAD will tumble further. Yet the opposite has happened. So now I'm kicking myself, and you might be kicking yourself later.

I need a crystal ball.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:33 PM   #848
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not convinced we're doomed because of this, but if things get much worse my wife and I are strongly considering moving south. The brain drain to the US has already began within my circle of friends.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #849
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

But the NDP told us to go to BC!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #850
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Looks like his policy is to beat on us until we agree with him.
Can anybody who is actually fluent in french translate this? Because I was under the impression that it was heavily skewed in translation in a negative manner.

I can pick out some of it but mon francais est tres mauvais! I went to j'explore in Montreal to learn French for a month with students from all over Canada and got put into Niveau Zero (level 0). I asked everybody else in my class where the were from and they were all from Alberta!!!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #851
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I'm not convinced we're doomed because of this, but if things get much worse my wife and I are strongly considering moving south. The brain drain to the US has already began within my circle of friends.
Things aren't exactly rosy here. At least now youv could take advantage of low real estate prices in CGY.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #852
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Can anybody who is actually fluent in french translate this? Because I was under the impression that it was heavily skewed in translation in a negative manner.

I can pick out some of it but mon francais est tres mauvais! I went to j'explore in Montreal to learn French for a month with students from all over Canada and got put into Niveau Zero (level 0). I asked everybody else in my class where the were from and they were all from Alberta!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trud...erta-1.1241750

"Canada isn't doing well right now because it's Albertans who control our community and socio-democratic agenda. It doesn't work," Trudeau told interviewer Patrick Lagacé.

When asked whether he thought Canada was "better served when there are more Quebecers in charge than Albertans," Trudeau replied, "I'm a Liberal, so of course I think so, yes. Certainly when we look at the great prime ministers of the 20th century, those that really stood the test of time, they were MPs from Quebec. There was Trudeau, there was Mulroney, there was Chrétien, there was Paul Martin. We have a role. This country, Canada, it belongs to us."
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #853
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
FWIW my neighbour has been sitting on a giant pile of USD and his view is that the CAD/oil bounce is heavy short buying and he fully expects it to slide to 60. He sustains his lavish lifestyle strictly through trading, so I respect his opinion.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:31 PM   #854
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Ignoring what was said in this video, what was he thinking with that facial hair?
Never mind that. What the hell were the Albertans that voted for this guy thinking? Really? It's like a Hispanic American voting for Trump.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #855
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Funny how some people criticized me when I said there was no chance I would consider voting for Trudeau until he demonstrated, via action, that he cared one whit about Albertans. Right there, you see why. Like his father, his political allegiance lies with central Canada, and everyone else can get bent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I agree with you completely. I do however have more fear of a Trudeau government with Gerald Butts as his chief advisor.

Last year Kenny came out and said that Trudeau had very little interest in pushing our Oil to markets because it would go against his environmental beliefs, it looks like he's vindicated with today's announcement. Butts was very anti-oilsands and kept bleating about Canada being able to have alternative economy by 2050 and not pushing for pipelines. He later backed off on those statements because it would hurt Justin's campaign. But Butts is no friend of this province.
The problem is of course that the Harper Conservatives didn't press anything through either. So we were really left high and dry because no one wants to do anything that might cost them vote rich Ontario and Quebec. It has less to do with liking a particular part of the country or disliking them, and more to do with trying to keep votes.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #856
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well the important thing is Ceci says the equilization payments will continue. Even if Alberta is getting no support from the provinve or feds at least we can still contribute our oil sands money to other provinces.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/12/2...ation-payments

Is there any way we could join the u.s. or become an independent state till the next provincial and federal elections?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 PM   #857
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Alberta doesn't actually make the equalization payments. We just receive smaller transfers from the federal government.

I agree with using a moving average. If this province didn't have such a massive problem with the concept of saving money, we wouldn't have to worry about the moving average.

I do agree that cost of living should be a factor, but that it's a negligible one and a poor excuse for avoiding equalization.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #858
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

^The money get's put in a big pot and redistributed. It wouldn't be there if a couple provinces including ours didn't contribute to it.

I'm kind of surprised the mayor of Montreal has never said you keep your dirty $10 billion equilization payment Alberta. We don't want your dirty oil money.

Last edited by stampsx2; 01-27-2016 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Corrected mayor of quebec to mayor of montreal. Oops.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #859
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Right.

The Premier of Quebec acknowledged that they receive substantial equalization largely because of the oil sector.

Only the Mayor of Montreal has been bad as I find it insulting and insidious for him to suggest that they receive no benefit, when the opportunity cost of equalization for Alberta is significant. I don't have any problem with the equalization program, but don't pretend that we aren't doing anything for you, especially when your argument is entirely selfish to begin with.

I don't even mind what the Quebec City Mayor said today.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #860
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Man that explore problem was totally awesome. I went twice when it wasn't popular at the time in Alberta. Living on your own, on campus for the first time, hot French chicks. Glorious times.
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote