Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #321
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
This is what I think as well. However, if Czarnik were to step up and grab the top line spot, then the top 9 really rocks!:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Czarnik
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Frolik - Ryan - whoever

and you could easily swap Bennett and Tkachuk there
I'm sure Neal decided to sign in Calgary to play on the 3rd line. C'mon.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #322
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I'm sure Neal decided to sign in Calgary to play on the 3rd line. C'mon.
Kessel did in Pittsburgh.

I think he plays higher but I really like the depth options we have now.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #323
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
It's all of the above and I would hope that the Flames management group does the same thing considering how many failed trades/acquisitions we've had in the last few years. I hope the team has hired some more critical thinkers.

Anybody can find a way to spin a trade or a player to make it sound like it sounds great, but for me, I'm looking at it from all angles here and my initial instinct upon reading that Lindholm wanted $5M+ was not a positive one.

I'm not even out right saying that he'll regress, I'm just saying, the possibility exists from what I'm seeing. I'm not just going to assume that because he's 23 and a 1st round pick that he's automatically just going to continue to improve. That isn't exactly valid either and with the limited amount of knowledge we all have of this particular player, I don't know how one could even back up anything with "good reasoning." It's all just opinion and conjecture at this point.
Dammit man, weren't you the guy that was ridiculously optimistic for the last half of the year when the team went in the crapper and Gulutzan looked like a deer in headlights? You were challenged repeatedly on your optimism, and you didn't back down. What's with the sudden turn towards the dark side? Someone run over your dog?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #324
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's all of the above and I would hope that the Flames management group does the same thing considering how many failed trades/acquisitions we've had in the last few years. I hope the team has hired some more critical thinkers.

Anybody can find a way to spin a trade or a player to make it sound like it sounds great, but for me, I'm looking at it from all angles here and my initial instinct upon reading that Lindholm wanted $5M+ was not a positive one.

I'm not even out right saying that he'll regress, I'm just saying, the possibility exists from what I'm seeing. I'm not just going to assume that because he's 23 and a 1st round pick that he's automatically just going to continue to improve. That isn't exactly valid either and with the limited amount of knowledge we all have of this particular player, I don't know how one could even back up anything with "good reasoning." It's all just opinion and conjecture at this point.
EVERY player might regress. It is a non-zero possibility across the board. However, unless a team wants to try and sign every player to one-year contracts (which would obviously be a disastrous and short-sighted strategy), they have to accept the risk that players might regress. It is part of the deal with player contracts.

However, you tried to make the case that Lindholm was a concern with respect to regression. In order to bring this up for a particular player, it implies that said player is riskier than the base amount that must be accepted for all players.

And to support your assertion, you brought up Raymond and Brouwer.

Lindholm is not a risk for regression, relative to (moreso than) other players. He isn't. Period.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #325
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry do you mean that Lindholm is more at risk to regress than any other player? If not, is your argument simply that any player could potentially regress any year? If so, I don't think you'll find anyone on this board who would disagree with that.

If not, what is your argument that Lindholm is more likely to regress than another player.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #326
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving is amazing at negotiating these RFA deals. He knows the leverage he has and he uses it. See Oilers, this is how you sign RFA’s
Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 06:19 PM   #327
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought this was a good report on Lindholm from a Canes fan on HF. Really excited to see how he fits in with the flames. I think he may be the perfect Frolik replacement and can be used in a variety of situations and positions.

“Other than Canes fans most people are obviously going to judge his performance so far on points. It’s true they aren’twhere we hoped yet but Lindy had developed into an impact player everywhere else. He’s developed into a great draw guy, while playing wing the majority of the time. He’s become a legit pk’er, plays in all situation in all times of the game. Peters is very fond of what he calls Lindy’s “beast mode”, and was doing a good job of getting it out of him.

Lindy should’ve produced more but he’s a legit playmaker with pretty sublime Swedish passing. He’s great at stickhandling his way to space in tight areas and finding the open guy. He’ll drive you nuts when he does it and backs off a net play instead of shooting but I guarantee Flames fans won’t be complaining as much as we did when he’s dishing those passes to Monahan and JG - who will definitely finish a lot more than Jstaal. He should’ve had 30 goals a year with some of those passes Lindy gave him.

He’s pretty deadly right beside the off wing post rolling off cycles and on the pp, where Peters will likely place him. He’s got a muffin of a shot but if he’s only shooting from two feet away at half empty nets he’ll score his fair share. If he’s really used on the top line he’ll be worth every penny. He’s a legit two way player and he impacted many games this year positively whether he put up points or not.

I viewed him as the Canes best young two way forward overall (aside from Aho, tho he brings some things Aho doesn’t) and a core guy. Very disappointed he was moved. He’s someone I wanted to see long term at center though, if we left him in the wing with the Canes level of skill I think he would’ve been wasted.”
Beninho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #328
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah I saw that earlier in the day, of course the rest of HF is throwing around the bust tag because that board has no idea what a bust really is.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #329
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: I’m tired lol

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 07-16-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:22 PM   #330
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post this from Jamaica Wow what a great contract and term this is. Treliving did outstanding work on this deal. The Average is one hell of a decent number for both parties.
Lindholm is going to be such a nice addition up front.
FYI Jamacians love Canadians down here such incredible people. Canadian Flags on several homes etc. American not so much
Old 07-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #331
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah I saw that earlier in the day, of course the rest of HF is throwing around the bust tag because that board has no idea what a bust really is.
Oilers fans really quick to compare him to Gagner. lol.
Just no clue.

Last edited by JurassicTunga12; 07-16-2018 at 09:05 PM.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #332
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well, they bloody well should!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #333
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

As others have mentioned, it is probably a fair deal today, and very likely to be a bargain in the seasons to come (as soon as this season, depending on how great the chemistry is with whomever he ends up playing with this season).

This team seems very deep now, and they should be a fun team to watch.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #334
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think this is a good deal and all in all is relatively low risk for the dollars committed to.

Lindholm has shown consistent improvement over time so if he continues to improve next season this is a great contract and if he remains the same, it's an average contract. I mean, it could've been a lot worse.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #335
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

The alternative would have been re-signing Ferland at a significant raise, or letting him walk next summer. This certainly is good asset management.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #336
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Kessel did in Pittsburgh.

I think he plays higher but I really like the depth options we have now.
No he got traded to Pittsburgh.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:00 PM   #337
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
No he got traded to Pittsburgh.
You’re absolutely correct. I didn’t explain my point enough, which is he played 3rd line, and I’m sure gleefully, all the way to 2 cups. The depth options are key. Can’t wait to see who plays best with who.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #338
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Treliving on 960 says they plan to have Lindholm to start on the wing at camp, but will leave where he ends up to the coaches.
In that interview, while he played it coy, he let slip that their planned centres were Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski and Ryan. He said Bennett and Lindholm were assets because they could take draws, especially, Lindholm on RH.

That means that Lindholm and Neal are RW on the top two lines (pick one). That pushes Frolik down a line to third line RW, which was disclosed elsewhere. Then the fourth line is something like Lazar, Ryan, Czarnik/Brouwer.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 PM   #339
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
In that interview, while he played it coy, he let slip that their planned centres were Monahan, Backlund, Jankowski and Ryan. He said Bennett and Lindholm were assets because they could take draws, especially, Lindholm on RH.

That means that Lindholm and Neal are RW on the top two lines (pick one). That pushes Frolik down a line to third line RW, which was disclosed elsewhere. Then the fourth line is something like Lazar, Ryan, Czarnik/Brouwer.

The 3rd line might have Czarnik on it. Treliving has been saying that this kid might be 'ready to pop', and that he just needs some offensive deployments. I am betting Frolik and Czarnik bounce back and forth a while.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 PM   #340
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm very relieved to have legitimate established NHL forwards occupying the top 3 lines and at least one (Ryan) on the 4th, and in my opinion two (Brouwer, depending on how you feel and how the contracts shake out).. No more Hathaway on the 3rd line. And despite his progression to an NHL player, no more rookies like Janko learning on the job.

The 4th line competition will be stiff this year. I expect plenty of movement between call-ups for those last spots. Between Ryan and Brouwer, it will be tough to get into that lineup as a prospect.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote