Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: One Sci-Fi Franchise to Rule Them All
Star Trek 57 54.29%
Star Wars 52 49.52%
Stargate 8 7.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Exclamation Star Trek or Star Wars

The classic battle. What is your favourite? Fight!

And maybe we can get a poll mods..
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a thread somewhere out there that you're trying to draw CC out of, is that it? This is some kind of CC honeypot?

Anyway, for me it will be Trek. No wall of text extemporary explanation for it, just discovered it at the right time, and it resonated more.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Trek. Ewoks killed Star Wars for me when I was a kid.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Star Trek for me

Old 07-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #5
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love Star Wars, even the new stuff (including Solo). But easily Trek, it was a champion of science and tried to make their technobabble at least seem scientific and want to inspire you.

Our society would not be where it is at without what Star Trek did for our imaginations, and what it inspired people to create.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They both have their highs and their lows. Growing up as a kid in the 80s, Star Wars was it. As I grew older and got into high school, I started loving Trek more. The exploration and science side of things was more interesting to me.

I still love both but I go back to Trek more.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its Star Wars.

Lets look at them both.

Star Trek

Star Trek 1 - Technically stunning, but the most boring movie ever made
Star Trek 2 - Fundamentally a perfect combination of classic literature (Moby Dick) and Science Fiction. Great acting perfect villain
Star Trek 3 - Strong but not quite as good as 2, Christopher Lloyd was awesome
Star Trek 4 - Pretty good, this was a cast movie and the cast was awesome, strange premise but it worked
Star Trek 5 - Terrible
Star Trek 6 - Strong movie written around the fall of Russia. The cast was great and allowed to age gracefully.

Star Trek Generations - I just didn't think much of this movie, this was the start of it being the Picard and Data Show. They wasted a strong performance by Malcolm McDowell
Star Trek First Contact - I hated this movie because it murdered the Borg, the stupid data emotion story, the crew for the most part acting like they were there for the paycheck. The Data and Picard show continues
Star Trek Insurrection - Horrible movie right from the wedding scene on. They then topped it off with joystick controlled enterprise
Star Trek Nemesis - Just when you didn't think it could get worse, this horrific piece of garbage gets released.

Star Trek - Not bad with the rebooted crew, The villains motivations were suspect, they did a good job of casting, but this was a safe movie
Star Trek into darkness - a terrible movie, bringing back Kahn and completely changing him was a massive mistake. The character logic was stupid and they basically bought back the Nemesis super ship concept
Star Trek Beyond - Not bad, it was ok, but again it was safe but the villain was bland.

Star Trek original series - Started it all, none of the other series had the same chemistry, the first year had some strong episodes. After that as the budget faded we got space hippies and intergalactic gamblers.

Star Trek TNG - The first few years weren't good, but it picked up steam. I didn't like it much because not only was it too clean. But the heroic human characters tended to be preachy, too perfect and at times unlikable.

Star Trek DS9 - I don't care, this was the best series of all of them, mainly because you felt like humanity was in jeapordy and they were capable of incredible levels of corruption.

Star Trek Voyager - Crap, mega Crap

Star Trek Enterprise - Had potential but the casting was flat. Did pick up steam in the later years

Star Trek Discovery - Absolutely awful.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both. If you put a gun to my head, Trek. But both.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its Star Wars.

Lets look at them both.

Did I miss the part about Star Wars?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the past I would have said Star Wars but after the prequels and sequels there just isn't a lot of really good Star Wars. Trek has some real dogs as well but I think the old content gives it the edge here...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a big treky but it has to be Star Wars, hands down.

Battle of Hoth
Attack on the Death Star, both times.

Any of these three NUKE the best battle Star Trek battle ever put together.

The only one that comes close in Star Trek for me is the final battle in Undiscovered Country.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Star Wars

1Star Wars - The Phantom Menace, I get the story, but it fell flat and they tried to make it too kid friendly. Anakin as a tousle headed 10 year old, Jar Jar., at the same time the performances by McDarmid, McGregor, and LN were off the charts, the action was solid, and the secondary story of the Sith was excellent.
Star War 2 - The Clone Wars - I liked certain things in this, especially the machinations of the Sith, and finally we got an explanation of the Clone Wars. But there was no chemistry between Portman and HC, they also over CGI'd things. In one of the great moments, Jar Jar Binks gives birth to the Empire.
Star Wars 3 - ROTS - I really liked this movie and its story of the fall to darkness. Could it have been better? Hell yeah, but at the end of the day I thought it was a good way to end a flawed trilogy

Star Wars 4 - ANH - Awesome because we'd never seen it before, the villains, awesome, the heros awesome and a laser sword
Star Wars 5 ESB - A almost perfect piece of science fiction to me and historical because of the twist. Better dialogue and a more natural feel then the first
Star Wars 6 ROTJ - Not bad, but the Ewoks were just a bad choice. Great villains and heroes and a good ending.

Star Wars 7 - TFA - I wasn't a huge fan, it was in a sense a unnecessary reboot of ANH. The villains were flawed and weak. The hero's didn't have much to work with, the practical effects were nice.
Star Wars 8 - TLJ - This is the Star Trek Nemesis of the Star Wars galaxy. IT didn't help when you had a group of villains that weren't very good at their jobs.

TCW (TV) - Really great TV Series, that started as a kids show with a lot of optimism and the series gradually got really dark. The stories were good and the Clones became human
Rebels (TV) started slow but really ramped up in the end, you cared about the characters and your heart broke when Kanaan died. The Ashoka vs Vader moment was emotional and amazing.

To me, I just think overall, that Star Wars has been technically better, and as weird as it is with star Trek written with science in mind, Star Wars better captured human nature until DS9 came along.

If you like Science you'll like Star Trek, if you like magic you'll like Star Wars.

I like both, but I tend to like the Star Wars concept a lot more. Also when Star Trek had a bad movie, it just seems like everything about it is bad, with Star Wars there's still bits or things that you can pull out that are amazing.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both for me.

Of the two franchises, the only ones I didn't like were:

ST Into Darkness
ST V
ST Nemesis
ST Voyager

All 3 SW prequels
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #14
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Star Wars

1Star Wars - The Phantom Menace, I get the story, but it fell flat and they tried to make it too kid friendly. Anakin as a tousle headed 10 year old, Jar Jar., at the same time the performances by McDarmid, McGregor, and LN were off the charts, the action was solid, and the secondary story of the Sith was excellent.
Star War 2 - The Clone Wars - I liked certain things in this, especially the machinations of the Sith, and finally we got an explanation of the Clone Wars. But there was no chemistry between Portman and HC, they also over CGI'd things. In one of the great moments, Jar Jar Binks gives birth to the Empire.
Star Wars 3 - ROTS - I really liked this movie and its story of the fall to darkness. Could it have been better? Hell yeah, but at the end of the day I thought it was a good way to end a flawed trilogy

Star Wars 4 - ANH - Awesome because we'd never seen it before, the villains, awesome, the heros awesome and a laser sword
Star Wars 5 ESB - A almost perfect piece of science fiction to me and historical because of the twist. Better dialogue and a more natural feel then the first
Star Wars 6 ROTJ - Not bad, but the Ewoks were just a bad choice. Great villains and heroes and a good ending.

Star Wars 7 - TFA - I wasn't a huge fan, it was in a sense a unnecessary reboot of ANH. The villains were flawed and weak. The hero's didn't have much to work with, the practical effects were nice.
Star Wars 8 - TLJ - This is the Star Trek Nemesis of the Star Wars galaxy. IT didn't help when you had a group of villains that weren't very good at their jobs.

TCW (TV) - Really great TV Series, that started as a kids show with a lot of optimism and the series gradually got really dark. The stories were good and the Clones became human
Rebels (TV) started slow but really ramped up in the end, you cared about the characters and your heart broke when Kanaan died. The Ashoka vs Vader moment was emotional and amazing.

To me, I just think overall, that Star Wars has been technically better, and as weird as it is with star Trek written with science in mind, Star Wars better captured human nature until DS9 came along.

If you like Science you'll like Star Trek, if you like magic you'll like Star Wars.

I like both, but I tend to like the Star Wars concept a lot more. Also when Star Trek had a bad movie, it just seems like everything about it is bad, with Star Wars there's still bits or things that you can pull out that are amazing.

What about Solo? It's the same universe or does it not count?

Personally, I don't like magic or science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I could have put Solo in, I liked it, but in a way I just kind of forgot about putting it in.

I also didn't put in Rogue one on reflection, though I really loved that movie.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #16
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I could have put Solo in, I liked it, but in a way I just kind of forgot about putting it in.

I also didn't put in Rogue one on reflection, though I really loved that movie.
Doesn't Star Wars have a lot of other shows/mini-movie type things and books than Star Trek?

It seems like Star Wars has a bigger overall universe and more to draw from than Star Trek, which kind of makes it unfair in a way.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #17
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

They used to be both enjoyable in their own ways. Star wars was great for the adventure with magical soft sci-fi setting, and struggle of good vs. evil in a appealing character driven stories. Star Trek was great for the science, social commentaries and questions of human nature and morality.

Star Wars has become a tired caricature of it's former self, especially with the new Last Jedi movie and Star Trek is has abandoned the science and morality themes for more cheap action and nonsensical stories. I feel both Star Trek and Star Wars abandoned their roots and are experiencing identity crisis.

I also do not understand uber-nerds who cannot see the merits that both shows had on their own. They were both very different and complimentary sci-fi experiences.

Tops for me were
Star Wars:
The Empire Strikes Back - Almost flawless, dark and brooding
Return of the Jedi - Although I really hated the Ewoks with a passion
Rogue One - Highlights the struggle of the rebels, a bit drawn out though
A New Hope - Groundbreaking sci-fi experience

Star Trek:
ST DS9 - Absolutely fantastic the third season on
ST TNG - Great after Riker got his beard, though the show overall hasn't aged very well
ST VI - Cold war setting was fantastic
ST IV - Great Star Trek adventure
ST II - Khan!!!
ST TOS

I enjoy Trek more in general. Star Trek seems to have more well written "canon" material overall, but that is just a byproduct of it's TV format. Star Wars fatigue has really set in for me since I've been disappointed by so many consecutive movies all the way from Jar Jar to TLJ with only Rogue One being decent original material.

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-03-2018 at 01:32 PM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Doesn't Star Wars have a lot of other shows/mini-movie type things and books than Star Trek?

It seems like Star Wars has a bigger overall universe and more to draw from than Star Trek, which kind of makes it unfair in a way.

Yeah, they have a lot more books and comics in their Expanded Universe. Unfortunately the now legends EU was a mixed bag, they had some tremendously good books and cartoons, and then they had tremendously bad misfires that included a freighter captain who looked like a Rabbit and a villain that was a hunk of meat covered in gold.

Unfortunately to me the new EU has been fairly poor, the really good Star Wars writers have kind of moved on.

I didn't get much into the Star Trek books, though I read some of the Shatner fiction which was decent.

the one thing that's really noticeable is the fan film projects because Star Wars has really encouraged the Fan Film, while Trek squashed it.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #19
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I prefer Star Trek but I think if there was a big poll SW would be more popular.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #20
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always be Star Trek for me. Grew up watching reruns of TOS and still quote lines of dialogue with my Dad. All my friends were into it at the time too.

Just a great show with great memories for me.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote