Wotherspoon

Smith
Rittich
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:31 AM   #22
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Given the amount of cap space we have, I think you pull a different version of a “buy-out” where Brouwer is the extra forward all year. We don’t want the buy-out penalty, but you are welcome to show up and eat popcorn all year.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:49 AM   #23
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
Given the amount of cap space we have, I think you pull a different version of a “buy-out” where Brouwer is the extra forward all year. We don’t want the buy-out penalty, but you are welcome to show up and eat popcorn all year.
Let’s try a good coach

AHL is an option if that doesn’t work
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #24
Armchair Flames Fan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Gaudreau Monahan Bennett
Tkachuk Jankowski Foo
Dube Backlund Frolik
Lazar Shore Hathaway
Brouwer

Giordano Hamilton
Hamonic Andersson
Kulak Valimaki
Kylington

Smith
Rittich
Armchair Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #25
FlamingHomer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If Vegas continues to have success, I wonder if any GM would be brave enough to forego any star players and build a team with 4 lines of 2nd line players? I think you would still need a decent goaltender though. It would be like if the Flames had 4 lines of Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingHomer View Post
If Vegas continues to have success, I wonder if any GM would be brave enough to forego any star players and build a team with 4 lines of 2nd line players? I think you would still need a decent goaltender though. It would be like if the Flames had 4 lines of Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik.
I don't think you forego stars, because Vegas has stars - they're just "new" stars. It's all about buy-in, work ethic, and the ability to ice 4 lines without a full on line-ruining player.

This is my template for a "successful" Flames team. Treliving needs to acquire 2/3rds of a 2nd line, and an effective 4th line player. You then continue to use Foo/Dube/Hathaway/others as call-up depth.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - ? - ?
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
? - Jankowski - Lazar

You get Bennett on Backlund's wing again, and give him that stability. Jankowski being the 4th line center allows him to develop without the pressure of HAVING to be a key offensive piece.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #27
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I think Dube has a really good shot at that 4th line, making the team out of training camp. He came pretty close last year.
This I don't understand at all.
Maybe Dube wont become a high end scorer in the league but at I think that he can do what Frolik has done in the league and that's be a good 2nd/3rd line winger that can help generate offense and makes sure the game is played properly all 200'.

Keeping him in the NHL on the fourth line at 20 is going to kill any offensive instincts that he has. He should go down to Stockton and be placed in situations where he can continue to develop his offensive game and where he needs to be pushed to make an impact on the scoring sheet. This is something that does not happen in the NHL on the fourth line.

Best player or not in that position, it is wasting a valuable asset putting him there.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #28
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goal scoring UFA wingers:

JVR - 28 years old and 36 goals. Reported he has Calgary on his NTC. Doesn't mean he 100% wouldn't sign here. He has size and scores mostly dirty goals around the net, but he's almost 30 and will likely command close to $7 million. he's also a left shot but that's going to be a theme.

Kane - 29 goals and only 26 years old. Will also command close to around $7 million, but he has size, toughness, skating and goal scoring. Has had attitude issues in the past, and can disappear for long stretches, but on paper he'd easily be the best fit for a UFA signing, especially given his age. Also a left hand shot.

Neal - 25 goals,but the guy is already 30. He has bite to his game and would fit in a lot of ways, but the age is scary. This could easily go the way of Troy Brouwer if the contract is for too much or for too long. Also a left hand shot but has played mostly RW in his career.

Grabner - 27 goals and also 30, and this just reeks of Mason Raymond to me. I'd stay away unless it's a one year show me deal for cheap and all other options fizzled out. Also a lefty.

Vanek - 34 years old and 24 goals. Personally not interested but he is the first on the list to be right handed.

Nash - 33 years old and potted 21 goals. Big and fast, but obviously past his prime. Rumored to have no interest in playing in Canada and someone will still probably overpay the guy. Lefty as well.

Kovalchuk - Right hand shot, but as is typical of Russians, plays his off wing mostly. Still good KHL numbers, but the dude is 35 years old now. Elite goal scorer though, so maybe you take a stab but I doubt he goes anywhere west, or anywhere near Canada either.

Perron is right shot, 29 years old but despite not cracking 20 goals (he had 16) still put up 66 points. This however was by far his best numbers of his career and likely an outlier which will make anyone who signs him probably regret it. Overpay is written all over him.

Maroon is big and can score some goals (also had 16), and on the right deal might not be the worst option for depth scoring. He is strictly a complimentary player with size though, and should be paid as such. another lefty.

A couple under the radar veteran depth options would be Derek Ryan (right shot, can play C, 31 years old, Carolina/Peters connection) who had 15 goals. Also Riley Nash (right shot, can play C, 28 years old) who also had 15 goals.

Either of these guys would be much better options in our bottom 6 than Brouwer, Lazar Hathaway or even Shore IMO.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #29
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Flames Fan View Post
Gaudreau Monahan Bennett
Tkachuk Jankowski Foo
Dube Backlund Frolik
Lazar Shore Hathaway
Brouwer

Giordano Hamilton
Hamonic Andersson
Kulak Valimaki
Kylington

Smith
Rittich
Was Ferland traded? For what?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #30
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
This I don't understand at all.
Maybe Dube wont become a high end scorer in the league but at I think that he can do what Frolik has done in the league and that's be a good 2nd/3rd line winger that can help generate offense and makes sure the game is played properly all 200'.

Keeping him in the NHL on the fourth line at 20 is going to kill any offensive instincts that he has. He should go down to Stockton and be placed in situations where he can continue to develop his offensive game and where he needs to be pushed to make an impact on the scoring sheet. This is something that does not happen in the NHL on the fourth line.

Best player or not in that position, it is wasting a valuable asset putting him there.
Fourth line is not necessarily a line that kills offensive instincts. It depends who is on it and what it's used for. It is definitely a line that limits minutes, which is why you put rookies on it. Marner was on fourth line this year.

Plus Dube seems like a guy who can adapt to whatever he's given. Look at his two years at the WJC. Two different roles and he did well both times.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #31
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Stone
Tkachuk - O'Rielly - Ferland
Versteeg - Jankowski - Frolik
Hathaway - Dube - Foo

Giordano - Hamilton
Kulak - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone

Gilles
Smith

Out:
Brouwer (Buyout)
Brodie
Backlund
Bennett
Kylington

In:
O'Rielly
Stone
Old 04-20-2018, 10:09 AM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Was Ferland traded? For what?
Ferland, Brodie and Stone from what I can see.

I guess a lot of picks/prospects come the Flames way in his proposal.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #33
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The reason Dube hung around in camp so long last September was because he looked like a threat on the 4th line.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
The reason Dube hung around in camp so long last September was because he looked like a threat on the 4th line.
He's the definition of an energy guy with upside. He's got some wheels, intelligence, grit. He could be a Byron.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #35
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
And because he was going back to junior.
Playing him on the fourth line at 20 is ruining his development.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #36
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He's the definition of an energy guy with upside. He's got some wheels, intelligence, grit. He could be a Byron.
He should be so much more than a Byron.
But yes lets rush him into the NHL where he cant fully develop so that we can hope that one day he might turn into a Byron.
Brilliant idea.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #37
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see one of Foo, Dube or Mangiapane make the team next year. All are smallish, quick, high energy players who have proven to be go to offensive guys. With the way the league is trending now, and the current need for depth players, they have a perfect opportunity to grab a spot.
I thought Foo particularly looked like he belonged during his 4 games, we'll see if that translates.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #38
Armchair Flames Fan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Flames Fan View Post
Gaudreau Monahan Bennett
Tkachuk Jankowski Foo
Dube Backlund Frolik
Lazar Shore Hathaway
Brouwer

Giordano Hamilton
Hamonic Andersson
Kulak Valimaki
Kylington

Smith
Rittich
Yes I envisioned them traded but really couldn't come up with the right piece to propose so just identified what I think would be a decent line up.
Armchair Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
He should be so much more than a Byron.
But yes lets rush him into the NHL where he cant fully develop so that we can hope that one day he might turn into a Byron.
Brilliant idea.
LOL - rush him? No one is suggesting that he be rushed. If he makes the team he makes the team.

What I am saying is that 4th line usage doesn't kill a young player's development. The higher the line, the better the opposition. 4th line is sometimes a great shelter to actually increase confidence and build offensive skill. Some player thrive offensively in that role - Jooris for example.

Dube is a mid second round pick, with worse offensive stats in junior than Byron (albeit in the lower scoring W). If he turns into a 20 goal scorer like Byron I say great.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #40
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well its glaringly obvious that the biggest off season concern is the top 6 right wingers. I am not hopeful that a prospect can take over one of the spots. Odds are the flames will only bring in one guy. So here is my guess. Stone, and Poirier for Pacioretty.

Tkachuk - Monahan - Pacioretty
Gaudreau - Jankowski - Ferland
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar - Shore - Mangiapane

Hathaway
Brouwer

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak- Anderson
Wortherspoon

Smith
Rittich