Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #81
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Real Politick is alive and well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #82
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
They move it's back to the Hawks I go. Or Dallas. Maybe the Leafs!
Whoa now - There's crazy and then there's bat####e crazy.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #83
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I think CalgaryNEXT is dead.
Hopefully this gets the City actually talking, which they have not been doing.
Judging by the fact that you're just now saying you think CalgaryNEXT is dead, it's not hard to see why you can't understand that after the city does a bunch of the Flame's work for them, they don't need to talk about anything else.

The Flames have been a joke in this. Embarrassing.

Last edited by nik-; 09-12-2017 at 05:26 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #84
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
What part of what I said was untrue?
Ummm... all of it? The Flames have never once put a serious proposal on the table. The city has been working on most of the details of a serious proposal.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #85
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Sad. One group wants to protect Calgarians, the other wants to charge the ticket buyer more and raid the pocketbook of the taxpayer for the same product dressed up with a few more bells and whistles.

I'm not opposed to a fair deal, a new arena is a pure luxury and one of questionable value at that. If King and Co want to start putting up a stink and making noise, I say let them, because I can't see how this doesn't backfire spectacularly in their faces.

You're asking a city full of people who had to re-examine their financial situation and undergo some pretty difficult times all around to raid their city tax revenue for more luxury boxes, more expensive seats, and maybe a fancy new jumbotron. It just seems tone-deaf.
The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
aaronck, Art Vandelay, Barnet Flame, ben voyonsdonc, Benched, Burninator, calculoso, Calgary Highlander, Cali Panthers Fan, Cappy, CliffFletcher, Cole436, Conroy4Mayor, CorsiHockeyLeague, Cowboy89, D as in David, DFO, drewtastic, DT77, DynamRyan, Flacker, FLAMESRULE, Funkhouser, Galakanokis, Gaskal, getbak, GreenHardHat, greyshep, Grimbl420, GullFoss, Hakan and the Loobs, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Hockey-and_stuff, I-Hate-Hulse, iggypop, Inferno099, Jawbone Hill, jayocal, jayswin, Jore, JT45, Kaine, ken0042, KevinKlineReadingABook, kkaleR, KootenayFlamesFan, lazypucker, Lonestar, M*A*S*H 4077, Magnum PEI, malcolmk14, MarchHare, Mazrim, megatron, mile, MonaTone, mrkajz44, MrMike, Nyah, OldDutch, Ozy_Flame, Passe La Puck, Phaneufenstein, renny, rubecube, Scornfire, Senator Clay Davis, slybomb, SoCalFlamesFan, Sr. Mints, Strange Brew, surferguy, Table 5, Textcritic, TheScorpion, TopChed, topfiverecords, Two Fivenagame, Ullr, vennegoor of hesselink, Wormius, Zulu29
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #86
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
How has the city not been talking?
They've been talking to the media, but not talking to CSEC, nor responding to a presented offer. CSEC has no idea what the City actually wants.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #87
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also, to be clear, it was always going to end this way. There is no middle group here. Nenshi and council aren't going to spend big public dollars on an arena, the Flames don't want to spend their own dollars on an arena. It's intractable.

The only way to move the ball forward is either for the political dynamics at council to change or for CSEC to throw in the towel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #88
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Fans no longer interested in pursuing tickets.
If this drags on, perhaps a preseason boycotting by fans is in order. If people have enough backbone to stand up to this crap.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #89
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
In fairness, nearly everyone in the ownership group has been so for about a quarter century or more - Byron Seaman is actually an original owner from 1980. Edwards and Libin both bought in in 1994, right when the economics of the NHL were going to hell. They have already proven they are in it for the long haul. That's not the problem here. The problem is their stupidly hamfisted negotiation tactics.
I think Edwards is the problem, and yeah Ken King has been his hamfisted bagman. He has bungled everything he has touched from the jerseys to his moronic interfering in hockey ops decisions if that piece is true.

The old guard has been great and very committed but Harley Hotchkiss was leading them the last time the Flames were in danger. He was committed to the Flames. Edwards is not from Calgary and he doesn't live here anymore... you wonder if he's thinking, yeah I'd rather have a harborfront condo in Seattle and spend some time there than go back to freezing Calgary. Edwards personally has done nothing to assure me of his commitment to Calgary.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #90
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
What part of what I said was untrue?
Your comment about Nenshi's proposal being little more than electioneering comes off a little disingenuous given the Flames' announcement today is blatant electioneering itself.

We don't know what's actually going on in the meeting rooms. The Flames may well be completely correct that the city isn't taking things seriously. But what we know publicly, coupled with history means that none of the Flames, Edwards and King will get the benefit of the doubt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #91
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
oh, you think?
As in I think CSEC realises this as well.
This was in response to a comment about CalgaryNEXT.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #92
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They've been talking to the media, but not talking to CSEC, nor responding to a presented offer. CSEC has no idea what the City actually wants.
I would argue the city wants CSEC to pay for its own ####ing arena. Not the city's job to figure out how to make it work for CSEC here.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:26 PM   #93
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If this drags on, perhaps a preseason boycotting by fans is in order. If people have enough backbone to stand up to this crap.
The issue with that is you'll never have enough people participate for it to be noticed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #94
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Also, to be clear, it was always going to end this way. There is no middle group here. Nenshi and council aren't going to spend big public dollars on an arena, the Flames don't want to spend their own dollars on an arena. It's intractable.

The only way to move the ball forward is either for the political dynamics at council to change or for CSEC to throw in the towel.
Yep, once this move is made....

They either find a way to resolve or the team will relocate at some point (IMO)

Bettman quote is very clear....

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Bettman: "At some point there will be consequences that will have to be dealt with."
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #95
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ken visited a sick filipino over the weekend, his confidence to get a free arena is at an all time high.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #96
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Ummm... all of it? The Flames have never once put a serious proposal on the table. The city has been working on most of the details of a serious proposal.
Sorry, but you are not correct.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #97
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're mistaking "not talking to CSEC" with not caving to CSEC's demands. You just didn't like the answer, that doesn't mean the city didn't talk.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #98
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I would argue the city wants CSEC to pay for its own ####ing arena. Not the city's job to figure out how to make it work for CSEC here.
This is a fairly time honoured negotiating tactic. Try to get the party to negotiate with itself. CSEC is trying to get the city to do this by getting it to do all the work and evaluation on the arena.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #99
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was previously in favour of significant public money going towards a new building, and some how the Flames owners have botched this thing so badly that I now think they can go pound sand. They're so tone deaf ti the current economic and political situation in Calgary it's ridiculous.

Do they really think they can influence this election? If anything they just strengthened Nenshi's position. Not that there was any chance of him losing anyway.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #100
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

If both sides actually want to get it done they should realize they're both going to have to compromise.

It would be be a kick in the civic nuts if the Flames left right now. The city should recognize that, and the Flames shouldn't take advantage of that.
Closed Thread