Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Friedman's 31 Thoughts is Back - and Johnny is ticked!

Friedman's 31 thoughts is back again.

Here is an excerpt about Johnny;

Quote:
24. Johnny Gaudreau was in a great mood, until he was asked if he’s re-watched last season’s series loss to Anaheim. “I did that my first playoffs, last year not so much. I was frustrated with how it turned out. The first game in Anaheim, I had a chance to tie it with 30 seconds left.” You could see him replaying it in his head as he discussed it. “I brought it to my backhand and all I had to do was lift it up…had an empty net. And (John) Gibson stuck his leg out and saved it. I just look back at it and it could have been a difference-maker.” What made it worse for Gaudreau is he liked the way Calgary was playing down the stretch. “I was excited to play the Ducks, we were finally going to win in Anaheim. Frustrating.” Gaudreau added he expects to be better in the defensive zone. “I was not as good as I could be…I want to be on the ice in the last two-or-three minutes, a guy (the Flames) rely on.”
I really think we see a motivated Johnny right out of the gates this year!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...nes-situation/
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

#14 is interesting. Wonder if the league goes after Molson for tampering. Publicly dropping Tavares' name? Isles should be pissed.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we have that highlight of Johnny not lifting it? I know a lot of us talk about LIFT IT JOHNNY! Like he did on that one breakaway goal against LA, that was a beauty.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't a huge fan of how last training camp went for Johnny, I still think he should have been with the team even without a contract. So it's good to see him fired up for this season, hopefully he can finally bury the ducks.

Last edited by Otto-matic; 09-12-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Friedman's 31 thoughts is back again.

Here is an excerpt about Johnny;

I really think we see a motivated Johnny right out of the gates this year!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...nes-situation/
Particularly in that game in Anaheim in the first week/two.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #6
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### Anaheim.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
I wasn't a huge fan of how last training camp went for Johnny, I still think he should have been with the team even without a contract.
I don't believe that's allowed anymore under the current CBA, but I agree that he would have benefited from a full camp.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Anaheim series was gut-wrenching. The Flames deserved a lot better. Can't wait for this season to start so we can finally put that behind us.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

he is a raging, seething ball of hate towards waterfowl - getzlaf should be afraid
Old 09-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
#14 is interesting. Wonder if the league goes after Molson for tampering. Publicly dropping Tavares' name? Isles should be pissed.
You have to think a fine will be on its way to Montreal. You can't do that. Almost as dumb is to get fans excited when it's not likely Tavares signs in Montreal even if he makes it to free agency.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #11
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

The only Johnny lifting that matters to me is the lifting of shiney silver thingy with Lord Stanleys name on it.

But in all seriousness. I'm happy Johnny is willing to admit he needs to be much better defensively.

I hope nobody allows the hacking and slashing this year again....that was hard to watch last year.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #12
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Yeah, I'm with Erick on this one. You can't name drop a player whose rights you don't own. Even Dim Jim in Vancouver understood that when local reporters tried to bait him into it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Yeah, I'm with Erick on this one. You can't name drop a player whose rights you don't own. Even Dim Jim in Vancouver understood that when local reporters tried to bait him into it.
Yes, but it did take a 50 thousand dollar fine to drive that point home...from a little over a year ago.

Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning’s public expression of interest in pending free agent Steve Stamkos and current Montreal Canadiens defenceman PK Subban has resulted in the club being fined $50,000.

Last Thursday, Benning told TSN 1040 radio that he had called Montreal about a potential trade for Subban. He also stated that he planned to reach out to Stamkos, who is set to test free agency on Friday after spending his first eight seasons in the NHL with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey...-for-tampering
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #14
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. I like motivated Gaudreau. Motivated Gaudreau usually means spectacular things are sure to follow. Bring on the season already!
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #15
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like motivated Gaudreau. When he gets determined, things happen.

ETA: LOL. Great minds and all that....
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #16
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
The Anaheim series was gut-wrenching. The Flames deserved a lot better. Can't wait for this season to start so we can finally put that behind us.
I love that Gaudreau quote. The players themselves truly did believe the were going to finally win in Anaheim. Unlike me who gave them no chance

Obviously other variables came into play that they could not control...but with a bit more luck and decent goaltending, that ####ing curse should be gone as soon as the first time they play in the Honda Centre.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #17
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The point made about resting top guys (Getzlaf in Anaheim, when he won the cup) Is an interesting one.

I wonder what the trend is for man games lost in a season for the cup winning team, and if there is any correlation. I think for a team like the Flames, you want your guys to be healthy. We want all hands on deck to make a deep run. But if you're a top team, a favorite, there must be some value in unplanned and unfortunate injuries to key players that allow them to rest and be ready to go for a deep run. If you look at Pittsburg last year, remember their western road trip and those "games of the year" and all that nonsense. We were patting ourselves on the back for going toe to toe with the best. Yet that team was missing some big pieces not named Crosby or Malkin.

This is a bit of a tangent, but its also the reason I don't 100% buy injuries as the excuse for the failure of the season where we met Chicago in the playoffs. Yes that team was decimated, but the key, core guys still played. A true contender doesn't blow a, 11 game division lead.

Its not something you can plan or secretly hope for, but I wonder if there is a correlation.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #18
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Yes, but it did take a 50 thousand dollar fine to drive that point home...from a little over a year ago.
Indeed. But he learned. Vancouver media tried to get him talking about which other players he would rather have had from this year's draft and noped right out of that question.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #19
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Clear tampering in my opinion from the Montreal side, unless they have been in extensive trade talks with the isles, which could be the case, I would be surprised if they didn't get levied a fine. Probably under the radar enough as a tweet until it appeared in Friedman's column.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote