Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: One Sci-Fi Franchise to Rule Them All
Star Trek 57 54.29%
Star Wars 52 49.52%
Stargate 8 7.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #101
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hm...I've never watched Battlestar Galactica. Any good? I dont think I'd have the patience to watch the original so if I were so inclined could I just jump right into the modern one?
Yes, watch the modern one. You don't need the original at all. It's a fantastic series, with a few baffling decisions but I imagine if you binge watch those bits won't be nearly as annoying.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #102
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Sure can - just start with the miniseries (it is before season 1) and if you aren’t hooked after that, no need for more! Actually, if you aren’t hooked after the opening scene of the miniseries.

But yeah, it has nothing to do with the original BSG.

I agree with CC that the show went off the rails the final couple seasons, but I still enjoyed it: probably because I was already invested.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #103
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Sure can - just start with the miniseries (it is before season 1) and if you aren’t hooked after that, no need for more! Actually, if you aren’t hooked after the opening scene of the miniseries.

But yeah, it has nothing to do with the original BSG.

I agree with CC that the show went off the rails the final couple seasons, but I still enjoyed it: probably because I was already invested.
But its no Stargate SG1?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #104
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Hm...I've never watched Battlestar Galactica. Any good? I dont think I'd have the patience to watch the original so if I were so inclined could I just jump right into the modern one?

Personally, I would put it in that category of one of the great science fiction pieces, just because it was more then science fiction. It was a show that had everything to it. Betrayal, drama, action, great battle scenes, great acting, really amazingly well done effects, and the villain wasn't always the cylons. It was a series that kept you on the edge of your seat, and kept you honest. Sometime you went from euphoria, and a edge of your seat rush, to a "That was f'd up" moment.

Like I said the last couple of years weren't as strong, it was a good show, but the writers got in their own head about how they were going to end it and it became a stretch.

My two outright favorite scenes.

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-08-2018 at 01:19 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #105
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Captain, put a spoiler on that last video. The title is a give away...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #106
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
But its no Stargate SG1?
Like, where the final seasons are so bad that I’ve never bothered? Yeah, nowhere near that level of dropoff.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote