Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2023, 10:38 AM   #61
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

7-9 for me.
Like many, financials are a little tighter this year but life is good aside from that.
I have a healthy and amazing family, a beautiful wife who has become an amazing mom to our now 18 month son & he's really the best thing on this earth. Every day he does something new that makes me smile.

Turning 40 in April and really trying to dial in what I want my life to look like the next few decades. Focusing on healthy habits, quality time with those important to me & finding financial freedom from money stress.

Sorry to see so many of you struggling right now.
I hope you know it's temporary and these things can shift. Talk to people, be active, do what you need to do in your situation to start chipping away towards a better mental place.
I wish you all well.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #62
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

2. Have incredible boss/work drama, members of my family are going full q-Anon/alt-right UCP (nothing like being called a groomer by a relative at Thanksgiving - thank god for wine), and yeah, it sucks now being in my 40's officially.
Oh - and my bout with Covid this year did two things: 1) made me even less willing to socialize, 2) gave me long covid symptoms for like 3.5 months (no smell or taste, nagging cough)

I'm very fortunate to be able to have a long-term therapist at my disposal and can afford to pay them - without them, I don't know if I'd even be a functional 2.

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 11-16-2023 at 10:49 AM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 10:48 AM   #63
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You all are lucky I am a poor typist, I could tell a story for every number on the dial. Pretty well settled on #8, only old age and arthritis holding me back now.

Wake up early, do a few stretches and tell yourself why you’re going to be a 10 today.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:51 AM   #64
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Not gonna lie it’s kinda tough to read about so many people struggling. Puts things in perspective that beyond internet randos to argue with, that there are real people behind the usernames and avatars. I don’t have much to offer in the way of solutions unfortunately.

To anyone struggling, I offer my virtual support, for what little worth that has.
I actually consider it quite valuable. So, thanks (as you’ve been there before).
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 10:52 AM   #65
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’d put myself in the 8-9 range. I have two daughters, 5 and 2, so life is hectic at times. They are both kind, smart kids, and we have a great support system so we are very lucky.

Work can stress me out from time to time but overall I have a great job that I am really happy with.

The main thing that brings me down now again is some social anxiety that seems to have gotten worse after Covid and after having kids. I’ve always been slightly introverted, but I have felt more anxious in social settings the last few years, and I think it’s worse then before because Covid reduced social interactions, and also because I’d use my young kids as kind of a social shield.

Also a huge thank you to everyone for sharing, regardless of where you land on the scale. It’s amazing to be so open, even on a largely anonymous message board. I think it’s really beneficial to all in an incredibly important way.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:55 AM   #66
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Doubled my income in the last two years, but have to do a lot more work to facilitate it
2. Said doubling has resulted in a lot more travel (Istanbul last week, Quebec City next week) which is taking a physical toll on me
3. Generally happy and know how to relax otherwise. Family life is solid and my kid is 4 and becoming more independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 10:58 AM   #67
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 I guess? I'm a very optimistic person overall though, if something's got me down I just ignore it and plow forward

Lost my dream job at the start of the month due to complications from Covid. Can hardly breathe on a good day now right now. Thank God it's finally almost winter, the cooler air helps a lot.
Wife quit her job the day our scumbag Government decided they're going to dismantle healthcare. She's been with AHS for a long time but is tired of the abuse. She's stressed over it but I'm happy we'll finally be able to see each other once in a while, between my 24hr shifts and her working 70+ hours a week that's been rare. So we figured screw it, we're slappin' the ol' reset button and moving in the Spring and we're both really looking forward to a fresh start in a different province. Can't wait
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 11:00 AM   #68
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Corsi’s pedantry has brought me down to a 1.

I’m kidding. I get there’s a different between mental illness and being sad/bummed. I’m clinically depressed if that makes you feel better about my post. I do think life being a living hell can cause mental health to suffer even if your brain is working properly so I’m ok with everything in this thread.

I’m glad to see many are doing well. I hope it gets better for those who aren’t. Life is a gift (vomit) so no matter how low I get I’m sticking around to see what’s next.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:30 AM   #69
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm at a 10. I have nothing to complain about and I don't. I appreciate everything I've been lucky enough to get in my life. Healthy and happy parents who are in their late 70s. Enjoying an active dating life in Toronto. Fulfilling career that has gotten even better when I relocated to Toronto earlier this year. Doing well financially and am continuing to do better with the recognition I'm getting at the firm I work for. I surround myself with good people and because of that, life is good. Planning a big trip to China and Japan which is also exciting!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 11:31 AM   #70
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tuesday was a big giant 1.

Today is a 2-3.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 11:44 AM   #71
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly a 2 or a 1. Not really sure even posting is a good idea, but at this point, I don't see much else. I've always been more or less alone. Not a lot of friends, and when I do have people close to me, it just doesn't end well. Not to say there's a huge fight or something, but just a sudden turn into nothingness.

I think I'm just a placeholder to most people - someone they can turn to when they have no other option, but as soon as they get that better option, they're gone. It's gone on long enough that I know the issue is with me, but every time I try something, I fail at it. ANd it's not just one or two people, it's everyone.

My family lives about an hour away. I tend to go out there once a week, and it's a fine. A couple of weeks ago, my dad and my brother were literally 5 minutes away from my place, and couldn't even be bothered to ask if I was home or anything. I can't imagine they would do that with any other family member. I get not wanting to drive an hour, but when you're literally 5 minutes away and don't have to go home by a certain time? I've lived in a different city from my family for over a year now; yet the only people that ever came, were if they needed to be at the airport early in the morning for a flight. Other than that, nothing.

But this isn't new, and it's not specific to family. Just the way it is. Friends ghost until they have an issue, and then it's back. It's really at the point where I just can't be bothered to try meeting new people, because I know how it's going to end, and I don't want to go through it anymore. But just everywhere I go, I just don't feel like I belong, and I know I don't connect well with others.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 11:52 AM   #72
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

So, do people think that over time this type of response is kind of how it’s always been? Mixed bag of happiness, or does it not seem like many people are struggling? Are things worse than they used to be?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-16-2023, 12:11 PM   #73
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This sort of thread is just kind of frustrating to read. I'm not diminishing anyone's struggles or suggesting that they're not going through difficult times - the thing I find frustrating is how we talk about "mental health" as this big catch-all for non-physical struggles. The conflation of those struggles with real mental illnesses is just... I mean, Rubecube's 1-2 is just a whole different thing from some of the other stuff expressed in here, and I really wish we had different language to talk about these very distinct situations people can be in.
We have to recognize there are two axes: on one, we're taking about diagnosed, clinical conditions (clinical mental illness). On the other, you have subjective wellness (mental health). And mental health is not the opposite of mental illness. You can have a clinical condition making you objectively "ill," but at the same time be very "well" in your subjective experience. Or you could have nothing clinical and still be "mentally unhealthy"

Right now, I have what is considered a mild to moderate depression (maybe a 5 on the 1-10 scale) but I would say my mental health is at a 2 right now because I'm stuck there (or declining) and the frustration is growing overwhelming. Meanwhile, someone in a severe clinical depression who's gone from a 1 to a 2 on the clinical scale might rate themselves as a 4, subjectively, because they're improving.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 12:14 PM   #74
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
So, do people think that over time this type of response is kind of how it’s always been? Mixed bag of happiness, or does it not seem like many people are struggling? Are things worse than they used to be?
This would have been a good question for people to include in their responses.

Personally for me I have improved in mental outlook over the last 5 years. Better at dealing with anxiety, Covid provided a good reset (understand how that is probably lucky) and in general coming out of Covid has been positive.

So for me it’s been a general improvement and reduction in stress over 5 years but I check a lot of fortunate boxes in terms of health, finances, and relationships

I would suspect in general the affects of Covid on health and finances followed by inflation have generally put more stress on people.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:18 PM   #75
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think part of it is people are willing to talk more about their feelings, and admit that something is wrong or off. It's more accepted now to really talk about how you feel and how you're doing. Which is great I think, hopefully means more people are able to navigate through the dark times.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 12:22 PM   #76
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Its a combination of economic pressures in Canada, the onset of Winter (SAD), and I think the average age of CP is getting near 40 as many of the regulars joined in their 20s during the 2003 cup run which means mid-life crisis time!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:32 PM   #77
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
This is an interesting question. It's hard for me to see a way that they aren't worse. Of course that's subjective (I'm happier today than I was 5 years ago), but man alive COVID was such a pipe-bomb-in-the-gears for everything. I struggle to think of a part of life that wasn't made more difficult by it in some way, and life was already very difficult. Most people didn't have the bandwidth in 2019 for a massive body blow.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 12:39 PM   #78
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
I think part of it is people are willing to talk more about their feelings, and admit that something is wrong or off. It's more accepted now to really talk about how you feel and how you're doing. Which is great I think, hopefully means more people are able to navigate through the dark times.

One thing that's come out of this new willingness to talk is that practically everyone is messed up in one way or another. It's disturbing and comforting at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
This is an interesting question. It's hard for me to see a way that they aren't worse. Of course that's subjective (I'm happier today than I was 5 years ago), but man alive COVID was such a pipe-bomb-in-the-gears for everything. I struggle to think of a part of life that wasn't made more difficult by it in some way, and life was already very difficult. Most people didn't have the bandwidth in 2019 for a massive body blow.

It hasn't just been COVID - with the political s**tstorms in the US, climate crisis, war in Ukraine and now Palestine thrown in (and doubtlessly MORE events I've overlooked) the world's collective psyche has been shredded like so much lettuce.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 12:46 PM   #79
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

10 for me. And it’s definitely gotten better since the start of COVID.

I think that period was tough, but thankfully I had built up a lot of structure mentally through therapy that allowed me to mitigate what was 1-2 years or so of my life where everything that could go wrong did go wrong (mostly under the weight of the pandemic).

Since things have stabilized (work and finances are comfortable, all my relationships are healthy, I feel good physically) I’ve been really happy.

Sure, there are stressors, both daily and more long term ones, but I suppose I’m lucky that mindset has such a big influence in my happiness. I really believe that things will work out, even when they’re hard or scary, and every day I make a conscious decision to choose happiness and choose to enjoy everything I can about the people and things in my life. I don’t spend any serious time dwelling on the bad things or wishing things were different if I’m not willing to act on it and make that change.

It hasn’t always been easy, there was a period as a teenager where suicide was front of mind almost every day, but I just put in the work and that’s what works for me. I’m as lucky as they come, I think. I love my life.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2023, 12:53 PM   #80
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Bonus. When Cavalry wins it runs up to a 10. And when they lose it bombs to a 2 because they’re a bunch of nincompoops that I care way too much about…
One thing I'll say about Cavalry is the community that have popped is so awesome. It's a group of folks that I genuinely enjoy seeing and that for the most part really care about each other.

I'm gutted that I can no longer commit to the group the way I was able to that first year, building that scene was so rewarding.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbc news 988