Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #2861
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
My wife is looking to get an ebike for commuting to work. It would be around 20km one way. We're looking to keep the budget under $3000. Any suggestions on something in this price point? I know supply is going to be an issue but she's a teacher so only a couple weeks left in this year so likely won't be starting to commute till the fall.

Is the Velec brand one to avoid? They seem to be the most readily available at this time.

$3k seems like plenty of budget to work with.

Is your wife going to have to haul the thing up or down any stairs, and does she have any preference for step-over vs. step-through frames? Those things (lighter weight and frame design) might narrow it down a bit.

I've always liked the look of the Liv line from Giant for women. Their Road E+ comes in at the top of your budget, but you get a good brand name for the money. Otherwise people seem to really like the RAD e-bikes, which come in well under your budget.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #2862
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
$3k seems like plenty of budget to work with.

Is your wife going to have to haul the thing up or down any stairs, and does she have any preference for step-over vs. step-through frames? Those things (lighter weight and frame design) might narrow it down a bit.

I've always liked the look of the Liv line from Giant for women. Their Road E+ comes in at the top of your budget, but you get a good brand name for the money. Otherwise people seem to really like the RAD e-bikes, which come in well under your budget.
She won't have to bring it up any stairs and would probably prefer step through. She's shorter (5'4") and is definitely more comfortable when she's able to get on/off the bike easily. She'll be tackling a decent hill in Chaparral to get to work, which is why she's looking for an ebike.

Her road bike is a Liv. I didn't realize they made ebikes as well.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #2863
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

New bike day was indeed yesterday!

I picked up a 2021 Specialized Tarmac SL6 Sport in Carbon/Smoke. Not a lot of sexy shots out there on the 2021, but this is last year's edition (sorry for the size)-

Weather yesterday prevented me from a decent first ride, but have already been out this morning for 35k and everything was awesome- smooth as silk. Still have to go in for a fitting and intend to make it a little more aggressive, but basically fitting well already.

The decision was down to an Emonda SL5 and the Tarmac, and basically just decided to go with whatever I could get my hands on first. And that is the reality right now- either you preorder for 2022, or are prepared and jump on one of your options as soon as it shows up.

As far as the choice, I have young kids and work a standard 9-5, so I am mostly limited to 60-90 minute rides, so an aggressive racey bike is what I wanted, theoretically giving me the most miles in the least amount of time. Ya, I know the difference with an endurance bike on a short ride is not as drastic as you would think, but still- I am simply not going to be doing centuries with any regularity, so no need to make comfort a priority.

An extra $800 would have gotten me into Ultegra territory, but I wasn't interested in financing a bike, and the SL6 sport was about the most I wanted to go cash on. I am still fairly new to road biking (converted lifetime runner tired of nagging injuries), and this seems like a reasonable second road bike. Love it!

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 06-07-2021 at 08:57 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 08:57 AM   #2864
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ultegra is nice to have but 105 is still a great group set for what you’re doing, congrats, nothing makes you go faster than new bike energy!
Old 06-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #2865
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting new parts is nuts. Nobody is getting stock until October. Needed to get a new crank for the TT bike. Nothing to be found *anywhere* in the size I needed. Finally found a 105 R7000 52/36 with 172.5 arms halfway around the world; paying $60 for shipping was an added insult..Ultegra would have been nice, but I'll take what I can get right now.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #2866
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was looking at getting 172.5 cranks for my TT bike as well but just gave up, too hard to find right now so I'm just sticking with 175's, plus the TT bike is more of a nice to have as really there are only 2 to 3 TT's a year I would do even before COVID
Old 06-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #2867
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did two awesome rides this weekend. Went up to Moraine lake and did the Goat Creek to Legacy Trail “loop” (we were too lazy to ride the road up to the Goat Creek trailhead).

Moraine was a little busy, but not as bad as I expected, the views were insane. Spoiler for the photodump:

Spoiler!

The rivers were also cooking this weekend. I couldn't believe how much of a contrast there is between Edmonton and Calgary/Canmore/Banff.

Last edited by stazzy33; 06-07-2021 at 10:35 AM.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #2868
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goat to Legacy is one of my favourite loops, I try to do it every year. I don't blame you for skipping the slog up Smith Dorian. So dusty, and busy on weekends.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 11:55 AM   #2869
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Goat to Legacy is one of my favourite loops, I try to do it every year. I don't blame you for skipping the slog up Smith Dorian. So dusty, and busy on weekends.
Yeah that road was a mess when we were going up in the car.

Legacy on the way back felt like such a slog on the mountain bike compared to the decent on the road bike a day earlier haha.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:00 PM   #2870
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Yeah that road was a mess when we were going up in the car.

Legacy on the way back felt like such a slog on the mountain bike compared to the decent on the road bike a day earlier haha.
I don't find Goat Creek very technical, and I have a 29'er. So I run a higher PSI for both sections, lock out my shocks, and can boot 'er pretty good going home. My wife often takes the bus back, and I'll race. Always a bit of a crap shoot, depending on timing of the bus! Fun day though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 01:12 PM   #2871
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
My wife is looking to get an ebike for commuting to work. It would be around 20km one way. We're looking to keep the budget under $3000. Any suggestions on something in this price point? I know supply is going to be an issue but she's a teacher so only a couple weeks left in this year so likely won't be starting to commute till the fall.

Is the Velec brand one to avoid? They seem to be the most readily available at this time.
They can be cheap and over priced like pedego.

The owner of the company is a nice enough guy buy not an great system. I use to actually interact with him him on a daily bases as he was one of the engineers for Bionx but left a couple of years before they went belly up.

I would tell most people under that price just to add a BBS02 kit and a battery to her current bike she loves.

To get a good bike that's decent enough really should be closer to 3600 before tax .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #2872
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Heads up for those who want to use the Bow River Pathway on the South end of Fish Creek Park. The pathway is closed on both sides at Stoney and there's little to no warning about it. I thought one side was supposed to be open still.

Last edited by Mazrim; 06-07-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #2873
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

side complaint about fish creek - for two or more years it seems like there has been some fallen trees at what i beleive are marshall springs.

some level of government has put up signs and fencing around the area (last time i passed thru you could ride around the fence) - why not just send ina crew to cut the trees to the edge of the pathway so you don't need to dismount your bike.

instead it seems easier to rent fencing and erect signage.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:24 AM   #2874
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I think they're trying to let the Beavers do their thing in that area and were probably hoping they'd leave or something? You'd think by now they would just close it off better.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #2875
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

A chilly but nice morning to hit up 12 Mile Coulee and Bowmont/Sideshow on the MTB. 12MC had a few damp/wet sections but less than expected and Bowmont was 99.957% firm/dry. Obviously lots of walkers went there when it was muddy and so trail isn't as smooth as usual. Also a real treat w/ zero bugs. With the rains though the greenery will now burst forth and within 2 weeks we'll start seeing some overgrowth starting to obscure some trails... so get out while you can.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #2876
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sideshow Bob makes me nervous.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:43 AM   #2877
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
... and rightly so!! It's definitely not a trail for the wobbly, those without flow, the faint of heart, those who like to look at the views, those without focus, riding when it's super dusty dry to wet. But it sure is fun (moreso heading west) in either direction provided you don't encounter someone coming the other way!!
Many years ago I had a small slip on that trail. scared da beJesus outa me. Since then I've known a few others to go for a slide there.

All that being said, I'm trying to biggify my nerve enough to take the gravel bike on Sideshow. Totally doable given I used to ride my old hard tail w/ 1.8" there and my gravel has 40mm.

What scares me more actually are those dirt jumps that seem to be getting bigger and sketchier. What's worse is that IF there is an incident requiring an evac... access is quite brutal.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #2878
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

that is sometimes the curse about mtn biking is that you are so focused on what is in front of your tire, that you miss what is around you.

keystone standard basin in revy has some tight singletrack with what seems like 800 foot drop offs in places
Old 06-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #2879
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Sideshow Bob is for sure scary. I was sweating bullets on it last year and then it leads into that steep descent to the jumps. Definitely not a chill ride.

As I get older, I have less and less interest in the difficult technical mtb trails. I'm way more into flowy and fun versus technically challenging.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #2880
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Sideshow Bob is for sure scary. I was sweating bullets on it last year and then it leads into that steep descent to the jumps. Definitely not a chill ride.

As I get older, I have less and less interest in the difficult technical mtb trails. I'm way more into flowy and fun versus technically challenging.
heh heh... I've done a LOT of mountain biking over the years, but focussed on cross-country and for me most XC downhills are enough. I don't search out epic or difficult downhills. Yeah I've been mocked as a bit of a chicken... but hey it lets me get out and ride again another day. In any case, coming from a wuss (me) Sideshow is not technical. Sure it has consequences and you have to know your flow and gears, but it's not bad at all. That steep chute is only ~20meters in length and has a great runout plus with todays wide and knobby tubeless it's so much easier to keep it controlled there. The awesome thing about all of the Sideshow and trails headed west are that pretty much anyone can do them. They're awesome to ride fast and so your comfort with speed and flow really governs the difficulty level. Plus so many great spots to catch your breath and take in the valley and mountain views, especially during the fall color explosion.

For technical... I'd suggest 12 Mile Coulee has gotten more technical the last few years. A lot bumpier and rootier for sure. Oh and less gravel-bike friendly too (although do-able!)