Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #1941
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey all!

So after 20+ years of walking and driving Mrs. B and I are getting bikes and by god if it kills me we're going to go out and get some exercise!

We're not going to commute to work and Mrs. B is especially wary of biking with cars so to start we're going to haul our bikes to paths. I've installed a hitch on our car and have a super-nice platform rack waiting for me at the border.

I'm looking to spend up to $1,000 on just the bike itself, and was hoping someone here could take a look at the hybrids for sale at Caps Bicycles in New Westminster, and pick out a gem or two. Caps is close to home and has a lot of after-sale perks so I'm fairly certain I want to buy from them.

I took a quick spin on the 2014 Devinci Oslo tonight, and also the 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc. The Oslo really had solid shifting and was drop-dead sexy. The Sirrus gave me that "I'm thinking about it" sound when shifting before it clunked into place, but I felt perhaps a bit more stable on it and of course it has the disc brakes. Keep in mind I haven't ridden a bike in a long time and have no freaking clue about the technical differences between bikes these days! I know I'd like something versatile but beyond that....????

Is there anything else on their list that's a real stand-out of a bike?

Last edited by BloodFetish; 03-14-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:00 AM   #1942
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
Hey all!

So after 20+ years of walking and driving Mrs. B and I are getting bikes and by god if it kills me we're going to go out and get some exercise!

We're not going to commute to work and Mrs. B is especially wary of biking with cars so to start we're going to haul our bikes to paths. I've installed a hitch on our car and have a super-nice platform rack waiting for me at the border.

I'm looking to spend up to $1,000 on just the bike itself, and was hoping someone here could take a look at the hybrids for sale at Caps Bicycles in New Westminster, and pick out a gem or two. Caps is close to home and has a lot of after-sale perks so I'm fairly certain I want to buy from them.

I took a quick spin on the 2014 Devinci Oslo tonight, and also the 2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport Disc. The Oslo really had solid shifting and was drop-dead sexy. The Sirrus gave me that "I'm thinking about it" sound when shifting before it clunked into place, but I felt a bit perhaps a bit stable on it and of course it has the disc brakes. Keep in mind I haven't ridden a bike in a long time and have no freaking clue about the technical differences between bikes these days! I know I'd like something versatile but beyond that....????

Is there anything else on their list that's a real stand-out of a bike?
I know you may have a preference for a dealer but, have you thought about getting a used bike from a co-op?
Used bike selections have alot of hidden gems.
Www.Goodlifebikes.ca is a good place to start in Calgary.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:23 AM   #1943
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no problem buying a used bike, but for two things: a) I don't have the knowledge to pick out the deals, and b) I don't know a place (in Vancouver) where I could see a lot of used bikes in the same place.

If I get really into biking then down the road I'd look into it more, maybe attend the police recovered bike auction.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #1944
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to me like the DaVinci is speced a little better, but the specialized has disc brakes.

Given those two bikes, the devinci seems like a better choice and it is a more attractive rig, while the specialized is more utilitarian.

I just bought a giant fast road which was a little more than those two bikes, but it has disc brakes.

Congrats on getting a bike. You'll love it.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #1945
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no problem buying a used bike, but for two things: a) I don't have the knowledge to pick out the deals, and b) I don't know a place (in Vancouver) where I could see a lot of used bikes in the same place.

If I get really into biking then down the road I'd look into it more, maybe attend the police recovered bike auction.
Ah dang. Didn't see Your location.

Ams bike coop is at UBC.
http://bikecoop.ca/

Also pedal collective.
http://pedalpower.org/our-community-bikes/
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #1946
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Seems to me like the DaVinci is speced a little better, but the specialized has disc brakes.

Given those two bikes, the devinci seems like a better choice and it is a more attractive rig, while the specialized is more utilitarian.

I just bought a giant fast road which was a little more than those two bikes, but it has disc brakes.

Congrats on getting a bike. You'll love it.
Utilitarian is a great word.

I went to a number of bike stores today and I think I'm learning about what kind of rider I need to be in order to have fun and make this more than a passing phase. When I'm on a cyclocross with my hands on the brake hoods I feel GOOD in that position. I still have a fairly upright riding position but can get up off of the seat and really put a lot of power into the pedals. I doubt whether I'd drop down to the lower bars much unless I get into commuting or tackle some steep hills.

It's a long time since I last rode but back then I used to like to hop on and off curbs with my mountain bike, rather than simply pedal my way from point A to B. Guess I haven't changed much in that regard.

Today's test rides were a Giant Revolt 3 cyclocross and a Rocky Mountain Whistler 50 dual-sport. I felt really stable and confident on the Revolt and had a fun test ride. The Whistler 50 was....ho hum, kinda boring, and the shifting needed adjustment. That ride didn't last very long.

I'm getting resistance from some sales people when I tell them I want a bike for weekend rides and ask to try a cyclocross. They're like "why do you want a racing bike for that?" and steer me towards the hybrids. One guy was so against me trying a cyclocross that he tried to sell me a Fuji road bike with wider tires instead

But from what I've read a lot of people are digging cyclocross bikes for commuting and everyday use.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #1947
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Ah dang. Didn't see Your location.

Ams bike coop is at UBC.
http://bikecoop.ca/

Also pedal collective.
http://pedalpower.org/our-community-bikes/
Thanks for the links, but these seem to be more support and resource groups rather than used bike sales. Still, I might want to drop in to get some basic maintenance know-how.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:31 PM   #1948
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I like the idea of something more like a mtn bike because you can cruise pathways and trails.

I would think that a reputable shop would talk with you about the pros and cons of each type of bike rather than telling you what you need.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:45 PM   #1949
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^agree. Rode pavement this morning with a couple friends (one on a Roubaix and the other on a Hakkalugi). I was on a 2013 Spearfish (29er mtb, 80mm rear travel, 36T chainring up front, and road slicks). IMO, this mtb is the perfect do it all bike. I didn't screw up the pace too badly (although I was clearly working harder)... and I had suspension to keep my back from getting sore.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:13 AM   #1950
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the links, but these seem to be more support and resource groups rather than used bike sales. Still, I might want to drop in to get some basic maintenance know-how.
Classes never hurt. Take wheelbuilding for sure. These co-ops do sell parts and complete bikes. Yhats how co-ops stay afloat. Its just hard not to want to buy a new bike.

Mec is The best co-op tho to buy bikes from. Costs 5 dollars(?) for a membership. Self sustainable buildings and evert year they even let you cast a vote for who is on the board. Non profit company.

Www.mec.ca

Mec has a hybrid on sale for just under your budget. You get lights, a touring rack and fenders included in the price. $950.00

Rear rack accommodates big touring panniers.

Bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.

Ghost Bikes are designed in Waldsassen, Germany. Every model reflects a deep passion for cycling and meticulous attention to detail.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5039-167/g...02+50089+50013

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 03-15-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:53 AM   #1951
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Classes never hurt. Take wheelbuilding for sure. These co-ops do sell parts and complete bikes. Yhats how co-ops stay afloat. Its just hard not to want to buy a new bike.

Mec is The best co-op tho to buy bikes from. Costs 5 dollars(?) for a membership. Self sustainable buildings and evert year they even let you cast a vote for who is on the board. Non profit company.

Www.mec.ca

Mec has a hybrid on sale for just under your budget. You get lights, a touring rack and fenders included in the price. $950.00

Rear rack accommodates big touring panniers.

Bikes are covered by MEC's Rocksolid Guarantee and Bike Service Agreement. You can bring your bike to any MEC Bike Shop for free adjustments and minor maintenance for a year after purchase.

Ghost Bikes are designed in Waldsassen, Germany. Every model reflects a deep passion for cycling and meticulous attention to detail.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5039-167/g...02+50089+50013

EDIT: just saw you liked the cyclocross bike. Mec has thus one from $1350 now 34% off at $895.

Either way two solid choices.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 09:22 AM   #1952
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Personally I like the idea of something more like a mtn bike because you can cruise pathways and trails.

I would think that a reputable shop would talk with you about the pros and cons of each type of bike rather than telling you what you need.
I rode mtb's for years... then I decided I needed to re-think my strategy, so I went with a cyclocross because I wanted roadbike type geometry and riding position (I don't downhill or anything rough anymore) but not a roadbike...the wheels are too fragile. After riding that for a year, I decided I missed my mtb and I wanted to try a 29r so now I ride these:

&

I'm very happy with both...29rs are wicked fun

Old 03-15-2015, 10:41 AM   #1953
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Utilitarian is a great word.

I went to a number of bike stores today and I think I'm learning about what kind of rider I need to be in order to have fun and make this more than a passing phase. When I'm on a cyclocross with my hands on the brake hoods I feel GOOD in that position. I still have a fairly upright riding position but can get up off of the seat and really put a lot of power into the pedals. I doubt whether I'd drop down to the lower bars much unless I get into commuting or tackle some steep hills.

It's a long time since I last rode but back then I used to like to hop on and off curbs with my mountain bike, rather than simply pedal my way from point A to B. Guess I haven't changed much in that regard.

Today's test rides were a Giant Revolt 3 cyclocross and a Rocky Mountain Whistler 50 dual-sport. I felt really stable and confident on the Revolt and had a fun test ride. The Whistler 50 was....ho hum, kinda boring, and the shifting needed adjustment. That ride didn't last very long.

I'm getting resistance from some sales people when I tell them I want a bike for weekend rides and ask to try a cyclocross. They're like "why do you want a racing bike for that?" and steer me towards the hybrids. One guy was so against me trying a cyclocross that he tried to sell me a Fuji road bike with wider tires instead

But from what I've read a lot of people are digging cyclocross bikes for commuting and everyday use.
Whatever you go for, make sure it's the right bike for what you'll be doing 90 percent of the time, and you like the riding position. If you're goijg to be on a mix of road and very light trails, you should probably go with a hybrid (if you prefer comfort and upright riding position) or a cyclocross (if you prerer speed). If you do plan to tackle rootier trails and want to jump curbs, but still want decent speed and comfort, I'd go with a hardtail 29er.

My bet is that a cyclocross would be perfect for what you want to do, so long as speed is a priority for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #1954
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Also, bicycle sports pacific has a really large selection of bikes and a good website. Check them out along with mec for bikes in your price range.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #1955
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

The search is over! Caps in Langley had a 2014 Kona Jake on sale for $1,000 but their website didn't state the size, so Mrs. B and I checked it out and it was a 53cm frame - perfect fit!

A bit flashier than what I normally go for, but an excellent price for that level of components. Looks good, feels good, and it followed me home.

Thanks for everyone's responses and tips - much appreciated.

http://2014.konaworld.com/jake.cfm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #1956
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Also, bicycle sports pacific has a really large selection of bikes and a good website. Check them out along with mec for bikes in your price range.
We started at the the MEC this morning and didn't see any good fits under $1,000. I planned to drop into BSP before heading to Caps but they open later so unfortunately they lost their chance to capture my dime. Maybe next time
Old 03-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #1957
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
We started at the the MEC this morning and didn't see any good fits under $1,000. I planned to drop into BSP before heading to Caps but they open later so unfortunately they lost their chance to capture my dime. Maybe next time
Not to worry. Looks like a perfect choice to me. Good call on the disc brakes.

If you live in Van, try riding it in UBCs endowment lands and the highway through them. Gives you a great sense of the cyclocross' capabilities on road and off.
The Following User Says Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #1958
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Not to worry. Looks like a perfect choice to me. Good call on the disc brakes.

If you live in Van, try riding it in UBCs endowment lands and the highway through them. Gives you a great sense of the cyclocross' capabilities on road and off.
I think this entire summer will be about hauling our bikes to the all sorts of trails in the area. We're pretty central (basically on the Burnaby/Coquitlam border) so it's easy to head either east or west. The endownment lands - is that the same thing as the "experimental forest"? I'm guessing it probably is, and have heard that it's a great place to go.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:39 PM   #1959
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The search is over! Caps in Langley had a 2014 Kona Jake on sale for $1,000 but their website didn't state the size, so Mrs. B and I checked it out and it was a 53cm frame - perfect fit!

A bit flashier than what I normally go for, but an excellent price for that level of components. Looks good, feels good, and it followed me home.

Thanks for everyone's responses and tips - much appreciated.

http://2014.konaworld.com/jake.cfm
Excellent choice. Kona makes excellent bikes. I have a 2009 Kona Zing and the wife bought a 2013 Kona Jake. My commuter is the 2014 Felt F65X as I couldn't find a Jake or Jake the Snake in my size. I had also looked at the Cannondale CAADX.

Being in Vancouver, you definitely want the disc brakes. They work so much better and I feel so much safer on the road in wet conditions. My commute has a steep incline and descent each way and I won't do it in the rain on V brakes anymore. I'm looking forward to seeing the Blood Fetishes (Blood Fetshi?) on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #1960
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's nothing quite like positive confirmation after laying out a lot of money for something I don't know much about (yet...). Thanks squiggs!

Now I'm off to research pedals systems and shoes
Closed Thread