Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #1921
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always recommend Pedalhead - they just moved to the same place as the Canyon Meadows theatre - my buddy owns and runs it. He's a great guy and won't sell you something you don't need.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #1922
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and I had our specialized hardrock hardtails stolen over xmas (a break in). We're hoping to buy some new hardtails this week. Trying to get some 2014 clearance bikes.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #1923
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey guys, I have a question for the bike mechanics on here.

I'm pretty sure the chain on my bike, and probably the cassette as well, need to be replaced. How hard is it to do myself? Do I need any special tools or anything? And also how do I check whether the cassette or the big gears need to be changed as well?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #1924
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There are a pile of jenson 15% off codes floating around right now. both in mtbr/where are the best deals and on /r/mtb. The best part to it: the official wording of the deal says 15% regular price only. However, I just sucessfully stacked the 15% off on top of existing discounts. Picked up a KS Lev 125mm 15% off of 40% off MSRP today (around 300CAD delivered). Just a FYI for those looking to shop.

EDIT: Not all the 15% code are stackable. But this one works: S2JTCD4QAHKG. I just used it for more toys.

Last edited by cracher; 03-10-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:02 PM   #1925
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
Hey guys, I have a question for the bike mechanics on here.

I'm pretty sure the chain on my bike, and probably the cassette as well, need to be replaced. How hard is it to do myself? Do I need any special tools or anything? And also how do I check whether the cassette or the big gears need to be changed as well?

Chain, cassette, and depending on the bike, crankset/chainrings are super easy to change.

For the chain, all you'll need is a chainbreaker.
For the cassette you'll need a chainwhip, and a casset removal tool (different depending on the particular hub setup that you have).

Like I said, it's super easy, and there are a ton of youtube videos to show you how to do it.

If you don't know which tool you'll need for the cassette, just take the wheel to mec and ask someone there.

As for checking what needs to be changed, you can get a chain gauge to check that.
The cassette/chainrings are a bit trickier as you kind of have to eyeball what kind of shape they are in. Are they rounded off, do they look worn down, does it slip when you really crank on it?

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 03-09-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:00 PM   #1926
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got a 2014 Specialized Hardrock Hardtail for $500 tonight. I'm pretty happy. 30% discount on most 2014 models was a steal.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #1927
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I got a 2014 Specialized Hardrock Hardtail for $500 tonight. I'm pretty happy. 30% discount on most 2014 models was a steal.
Care to share where from? Thanks
Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #1928
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Revolution cycle in Edmonton
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #1929
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Took a 3 hour lunch for a quick trail rip on Nosehill. It's mostly dry enough to ride. The big dip in the middle/east end is still soggy, gotta really churn the mud to get through. First ride on the new Ibis, it's a helluva rig.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #1930
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post some pics of that ibis, please.......

I am expecting my income tax return in the next few days, when that bad boy rolls in I am going to pick up my commuter rig and some new race face pedals for my rocky mtn
Old 03-11-2015, 12:03 AM   #1931
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Post some pics of that ibis, please.......

I am expecting my income tax return in the next few days, when that bad boy rolls in I am going to pick up my commuter rig and some new race face pedals for my rocky mtn
---deleted----

Edit: Which RF pedals are you looking at if I may ask? I'm also thinking about upgrading my pedals too. Hearing that the time atacs have 6mm of lateral play, which allegedly helps bad knees...

Edit2: Deleted my post. Have 2 buddies who got layed off this week, and another half-dozen friends with young kids losing sleep over $50 oil. And then I opened the oilpatch layoff thread for the first time. Not the right time to be showing off toys.

Edit3: Aight... Guess this is the farthest thing from Evander talking into a stack. Took these pics last night after I started wrenching on her. 2012 mojo SL, XT build. Bought off a cousin in-law who rode it 3 times in total. Just overhauled fork and shock and upgraded suspension linkage bearings (using the blue high durometer bearings). Stealing a full OneUp 1X10 setup off the wife's stumpy (pic2) including rad cage, 42T cog on XTR cassette, 32T NW chainring (she doesn't care because she has a 2014 Horsethief 1 to ride). This is all going on a set of China made light-bicycle.com carbon rims laced to hope evo hubs. Also have a NextSL crankset to put in, but I don't know how to take out the hollowtech BB (open to suggestions? Can't get a grip on it to unscrew it).

NSFW!

Last edited by cracher; 03-11-2015 at 01:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #1932
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ nice.....i am going to buy the race face atlas pedals in blue and put them on my rocky whiich is currently sporting a pair of spike spanks. the spikes are going to go on my giant commuter.

i am trying to build my rocky with as much race face as possible
Old 03-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #1933
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
Edit2: Deleted my post. Have 2 buddies who got layed off this week, and another half-dozen friends with young kids losing sleep over $50 oil. And then I opened the oilpatch layoff thread for the first time. Not the right time to be showing off toys.

It's the cycling thread.

Not the candle light vigil thread.

Throw the bike back up! Lots of us are excited for the upcoming season and all things bikes. If we need a downer, the Layoff thread is never far from the top these days.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #1934
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ cracher - while i feel for folks in the O&G sector who are losing their jobs, and the companies that are hurting - the reality is that a few years ago many/some of these people received bonuses and salary adjustments that those of us not in the O&G could only dream of and I don't think we asked them to stop buying stuff becasuse our employers where not paying on the same basis.

it is a bike discussion thread lets see some pics of bikes, and have some bike related discussion

i was excited last week becasue my son mentioned he wanted to try some mtn biking with me this summer
Old 03-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #1935
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Is anyone else attending the Calgary Bike Show at the end of the month?

http://www.calgarybikeshow.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #1936
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cracker - looks like you need a special tool. The park tool website and YouTube have tons of how to videos
Old 03-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #1937
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yup, I kinda realized after 20 minutes of trying to grip it with a monkey wrench. My policy is that if the tool is not in my 39 piece set, I take it in. There is no end to all the $22 specialty tools that the OEMs force on you.

I showed my 2015 ride. Let's see some others.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:25 AM   #1938
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Is anyone else attending the Calgary Bike Show at the end of the month?

http://www.calgarybikeshow.com/

We will be now - had no idea there was a show. Thanks for the link, KTrain.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #1939
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
I showed my 2015 ride. Let's see some others.
I, sadly, have the same bikes that started this thread. I want something new this year though.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #1940
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i just picked up my new commeter rig a giant fastroad.

will post pictures of it once i have wrenched on it for a bit and get her set up