Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #21
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

No Poirier again after being removed mid practice yesterday. I wonder whats going on there.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #22
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Will any cuts be made before this match?
My understanding from what I heard on the radio.

Next cuts are on Saturday.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
What's the deal with Monahan? Is this the 3rd camp in a row he's nursing some kind of injury?
Kind of unfortunate because he's such a slow starter and I'm sure the team is putting a lot of focus on playing better in the first two months of the season. However there's no point in playing him in a meaningless game if he's not 100%.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #24
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glass getting a solid chance here.. Janko too..
Old 09-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #25
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
What's the deal with Monahan? Is this the 3rd camp in a row he's nursing some kind of injury?
I hope it’s not his back again... saw some pictures posted during the summer of him lifting weights, dead lifts, some of those lifts put a huge strain on the lower back and are totally unnecessary
442scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #26
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I really want to see Jankowski with Gaudreau... maybe it's a match made in heaven

Gaudreau-Jankowski-Jagr
Tkachuk-Monahan-Duchene
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-PROSPECT-Hathaway
Lazar

Brouwer+Bennett+Andersson/Kylington for Matt Duchene
Stajan to Penguins for a 5th Round Pick
Nice one... you managed to not talk about the game at hand what so ever and slide this post in about 2 other nagging threads that are very unlikely. youre a
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #27
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

From Flames.com:

FORWARDS

13 - Johnny Gaudreau

18 - Matt Stajan

20 - Curtis Lazar

21 - Garnet Hathaway

25 - Freddie Hamilton

36 - Troy Brouwer

45 - Morgan Klimchuk

49 - Hunter Shinkaruk

51 - Tanner Glass

77 - Mark Jankowski

79 - Micheal Ferland

93 - Sam Bennett

DEFENCE

4 - Tyler Wotherspoon

5 - Mark Giordano

7 - TJ Brodie

24 - Travis Hamonic

27 - Dougie Hamilton

54 - Rasmus Andersson

GOALTENDERS

33 - David Rittich

41 - Mike Smith
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #28
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Nice one... you managed to not talk about the game at hand what so ever and slide this post in about 2 other nagging threads that are very unlikely. youre a
You missed the part about Jankowski and Gaudreau on a line together.. who are also playing tonight...

But I felt like being an armchair GM this morning. You are right.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #29
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I hope it’s not his back again... saw some pictures posted during the summer of him lifting weights, dead lifts, some of those lifts put a huge strain on the lower back and are totally unnecessary
Dead lifts are most certainly necessary for any athletes weight lifting regimen, it's one of the most important lifts for overall strength. Additionally, if you don't exercise your back it will be weaker and more prone to injury, not vice versa. As long as he's lifting properly (he has pro trainers, so he is), he should be doing deadlifts and other back workouts.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #30
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

After last game's debacle against an AHL roster, I have no patience for either Kulak or Bartkowski. Both made boneheaded play after boneheaded play, and Kulak was weak on three goals.

Andersson and Spoon could do a lot to cement their positions with a strong showing tonight. Andersson's looked the best of all of them with the puck on his stick. I don't care about the 'development' of any of the other three at this point, they're 7th D replacement level players, and they can eat popcorn and be grateful they're making $600 grand this year.

Bennett centres Johnny I imagine? That'll be a good way to get Bennett in a good headspace going into the season.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #31
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Dead lifts are most certainly necessary for any athletes weight lifting regimen, it's one of the most important lifts for overall strength. Additionally, if you don't exercise your back it will be weaker and more prone to injury, not vice versa. As long as he's lifting properly (he has pro trainers, so he is), he should be doing deadlifts and other back workouts.
Dead lifts are good for the Glutes, not as much for the back, but that can help to stabilize a back by training the glutes to fire more often and with a stronger response than the back muscles. It all depends on how you implement the exercise.

The best exercise for the back is counter-intuitive. It's actually planks. That creates transverse abdominus and other abdominal muscles strength and stamina. Weak, or poorly functioning abdominals is usually the root cause of most cases of mechanical back pain.

Also, anyone who has the possibility of disc herniation should stay far away from dead lifts as they exacerbate the herniation. Pretty much the worst thing you can do for a bad back due to herniation. The problem is that mechanical back pain can have so many different causes that have mechanisms which are difficult to pinpoint, so it's hard to say when to avoid dead lifts unless you have a clear herniation on MRI.

/end lesson.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #32
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To those asking about cuts, waivers are open as of 15 minutes ago, and it takes 24 hours to clear. So for any waiver-eligible players getting cut tomorrow, news should start leaking out at some point today.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #33
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
To those asking about cuts, waivers are open as of 15 minutes ago, and it takes 24 hours to clear. So for any waiver-eligible players getting cut tomorrow, news should start leaking out at some point today.
24 hours doesn't matter since there is no deadline for roster size tomorrow.

They can cut players tomorrow and put said players on waivers tomorrow, or even the next day.

Stockton training camp doesn't open until Monday.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #34
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Dead lifts are good for the Glutes, not as much for the back, but that can help to stabilize a back by training the glutes to fire more often and with a stronger response than the back muscles. It all depends on how you implement the exercise.

The best exercise for the back is counter-intuitive. It's actually planks. That creates transverse abdominus and other abdominal muscles strength and stamina. Weak, or poorly functioning abdominals is usually the root cause of most cases of mechanical back pain.

Also, anyone who has the possibility of disc herniation should stay far away from dead lifts as they exacerbate the herniation. Pretty much the worst thing you can do for a bad back due to herniation. The problem is that mechanical back pain can have so many different causes that have mechanisms which are difficult to pinpoint, so it's hard to say when to avoid dead lifts unless you have a clear herniation on MRI.

/end lesson.
While I'm sure we could debate the benefits and pitfalls of doing deadlifts as everyone seems to have differing opinions when it comes to fitness and weightlifting. I will say, deadlifts are more than just a glute workout. They are almost a full body workout and are especially good for developing core muscles. In any case, I trust that professional trainers working for an NHL team have a fairly good grasp on these kind of things and if a player has certain injuries that may be exacerbated by doing certain lifts, they would likely not have the player do those exercises.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #35
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Pat Steinberg
@Fan960Steinberg
#Flames lines today:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Shinkaruk-Jankowski-Brouwer
Klimchuk-Hamilton-Hathaway
Glass-Stajan-Lazar

#Flames D pairings look like:

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Wotherspoon-Andersson

Mike Smith goes in net.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #36
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Guess we will have to disagree on the usefulness of a particular exercise that puts most of the strain on the lowermost disc... some people can get away with doing it but eventually some people end up with a herniated disc or disc deterioration. Talk to a orthopaedic surgeon if you don’t believe me . Lots of ways to work out your back. This is not one of the good ones
442scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #37
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I'm not going to worry about this because the Flames have professional trainers on staff that you know, work with Monahan directly and might know what we will benefit from....
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #38
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hoping for a good showing from the Jankowski line.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #39
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland

Would be so nice if that line could pan out. Having Mony and Backlund on other lines would give a nice deep threat through the lineup.

Also, I really hope Rittich gets some time. I'm higher on him than most
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #40
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
After last game's debacle against an AHL roster, I have no patience for either Kulak or Bartkowski. Both made boneheaded play after boneheaded play, and Kulak was weak on three goals.

Andersson and Spoon could do a lot to cement their positions with a strong showing tonight. Andersson's looked the best of all of them with the puck on his stick. I don't care about the 'development' of any of the other three at this point, they're 7th D replacement level players, and they can eat popcorn and be grateful they're making $600 grand this year.

Bennett centres Johnny I imagine? That'll be a good way to get Bennett in a good headspace going into the season.
Interesting,

Hopefully Valimaki can give the Flames coaching staff something to mull over. He's been good in my limited viewings.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote