Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #1
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Motorcycle insurance

Hi CP,
Bought a bike, my insurance company won’t insure (never mind it’s substatially less potent than tons of other bikes they DO insure). Anyone have a quick contact that can deal with this thing on a Saturday? I’d like to get it plated today if at all possible.

Thank you.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Go Insurance is who I use - 1999 Kawasaki ZRX 1100

Phone: 780.448.2298 | 866.548.2298 | Fax: 780.481.4650
16830 107 Avenue | Edmonton AB | T5P 4C3
www.goinsurance.ca
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What does monthly insurance cost for the average street bike, say a 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What does monthly insurance cost for the average street bike, say a 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 300?
Everything except for Harleys are pretty cheap. I'm gonna guess $400 a year
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I pay $254 a year (just basic liability, not full coverage) for my 1100cc ZRX, which would be in the same class as any of the 1000cc + crotchrockets. I would imagine smaller engine size would be lower risk therefore cheaper. I’m 48 years old with 30+ years riding experience, so obviously that will factor into it.

Also, for anybody that is thinking of getting a bike I say don’t listen to the doubters and do it, but do it smartly. Don’t go buy a 600cc or bigger as your first ride. These things are blindlingly fast and will get you into trouble before you know it. Start small and work up.

Get a copy of the book Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code and study it. It is aimed a bit more towards track riding, but he really explains the fundamental basics of how to corner properly and the dynamics of how to get the most out of you bikes handling which applies to everyday riding just as much.

Last edited by #22; 05-12-2019 at 08:45 AM.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to #22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #22 View Post
I pay $254 a year (just basic liability, not full coverage) for my 1100cc ZRX, which would be in the same class as any of the 1000cc + crotchrockets. I would imagine smaller engine size would be lower risk therefore cheaper. I’m 48 years old with 30+ years riding experience, so obviously that will factor into it.

Also, for anybody that is thinking of getting a bike I say don’t listen to the doubters and do it, but do it smartly. Don’t go buy a 600cc or bigger as your first ride. These things are blindlingly fast and will get you into trouble before you know it. Start small and work up.

Get a copy of the book Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code and study it. It is aimed a bit more towards track riding, but he really explains the fundamental basics of how to corner properly and the dynamics of how to get the most out of you bikes handling which applies to everyday riding just as much.
Agreed. If you have experiance riding something else like dirt bikes sure start with a 600 but you can still have a lot of fun with a Honda CBR 250 or 300
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think cc's aren't as important as type of bike for new riders. There is quite a difference between a BMW 800 adventure touring vs a VFR 800 for instance.

After moving back to Ontario I had to sell my Vfr. Insurance is crazy here compared to Alberta. I'm 41 with many many years of experience and was paying over 1100 on a 2014 Vfr 800.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ps, this should be a general motorcycle thread, I don’t think CP has one.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Ps, this should be a general motorcycle thread, I don’t think CP has one.
There sort of was.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...=89614&page=11
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Hi CP,
Bought a bike, my insurance company won’t insure (never mind it’s substatially less potent than tons of other bikes they DO insure). Anyone have a quick contact that can deal with this thing on a Saturday? I’d like to get it plated today if at all possible.

Thank you.
What kind of bike is it that they won’t insure?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I am plating my 04 GSXR 600 this week and it is going to cost me $202.66 per month. Full coverage but we don't have liability only as an option. SK has gone nuts on bike insurance in the last few years.

You have to stay under 400cc to not have to sell a kidney to ride.

I'm also 48 with 30 yrs under my belt. I have had a clean record for 7 years but the point system is really hard to get to full discounts do I'm only at 6%. Ugh.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
What kind of bike is it that they won’t insure?
Just a small displacement Suzuki.
I did get a quote with full coverage, collision, gear coverage etc for 432, which sounds plenty reasonable to me.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #13
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm middle aged and have never even ridden a bike let alone know anything about them or own one, but I'd really like to try.

What would you guys recommend if I wanted to try it out? Some motorcycle school like http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com/ ?

Edit: oops, missed the general motorcycle thread... although the last post in it is 7 years old.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #14
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
I'm middle aged and have never even ridden a bike let alone know anything about them or own one, but I'd really like to try.

What would you guys recommend if I wanted to try it out? Some motorcycle school like http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com/ ?

Edit: oops, missed the general motorcycle thread... although the last post in it is 7 years old.
I went to Too Cool when I got my license a couple years ago. Outstanding course. I highly recommend them. They will teach you from knowing nothing to being able to go out on a street ride with the rest of the class, but the main skill development is in a parking lot at McMahon stadium. Very safety oriented. It will prep you well for taking the licensing road test if you want to.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #15
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too Cool or SAIT is the way to go, I did Too Cool 10 years ago and loved it. SAIT also has a great program, guys I work with have used them and only had positives to say.

Those would be the only 2 I would consider.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:54 AM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would disagree with the blanket statement of not buying over 600cc for your first bike. It depends on what kind of bike and all that. My first bike (after I took the course and was licensed) was 800cc, but it was a cruiser. It was fantastic and not too much bike for sure. If that had been the 650cc version of that particular model I think that in two weeks I would have already regretted it.

My current bike is only 650cc but it’s more carbon fibre as opposed to steel, and as a result the pure size of the engine isn’t as relevant. It has way more pickup than my 800cc, but it’s a different style.

Anyway, I agree that people debating a motorcycle should get one. I often hop on and feel like it’s the best purchase I’ve made!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote