Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2016, 01:53 PM   #41
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Okay you exposed my defense for the Byron fans (for whatever reason) that might have responded.

1 for 500 with the Flames, then scores right away against them. I'm sorry but Byron was terrible.

Moving on, I like the pick. Was kinda hoping to get DeBrincat but this guy seems fairly similar.

Last edited by Redrum; 06-25-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #42
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
The first goal really sounded like Keilback, but I'm pretty sure it's not him.
You're right, its Regan Bartel apparently. They sound near identical!

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #43
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

From that video Dube scores a ton of goals on the backhand. You can see the skill and speed. Hagelin is a very fair style comparable.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #44
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice potential. I think in 2 years we will like this pick even more.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #45
Danomite
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Watched this kid play a lot last season in Kelowna, he's got sick skill and speed. Nice 2nd round pick indeed
Danomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #46
Danomite
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Apparently he grew up cheering for the Flames and his family lives just 30 minutes from the Dome.

http://kelownarockets.com/article/fo...2016-nhl-draft
Danomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #47
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

And here we thought the Flames were going to pick only big, unskilled players.

5'10" is not Byron sized - 5'10" is just undersized, but he is young enough to get to average size. If he doesn't, the NHL has a very long list of guys his size that are extremely successful - hardly a rare occurrence.

Highly skilled, high IQ and a high-motor. Love these types of prospects. Looks like a really good shot at being a player.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #48
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

That description sounds like every team in the NHL's dream 3rd-line center. Relentless motor, high compete, great on faceoffs, adds dynamism to a power play, kills penalties, and has the skill to step into a top-6 role in case of injuries or to stack a couple of lines in a late-game double-shifting situation.

Don't know him from Adam, but I like competitiveness and I like Flames fans.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #49
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
That description sounds like
Matthew Lombardi
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #50
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given that this guy has to go back to the WHL if he doesn't make the roster (same situation as Klimchuk), do we give him some games in the NHL? Aside from Jankowski, Dube has really played well and in my opinion should at least get some games in the NHL. Don't really think the WHL is for him since he already plays really well as a bottom 6 wing option for our squad.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #51
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Given that this guy has to go back to the WHL if he doesn't make the roster (same situation as Klimchuk), do we give him some games in the NHL? Aside from Jankowski, Dube has really played well and in my opinion should at least get some games in the NHL. Don't really think the WHL is for him since he already plays really well as a bottom 6 wing option for our squad.
Are you talking about Klimchuk a few years back? Because Klimchuk has played in the AHL for 2 years. Perhaps you meant Valimaki?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #52
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Are you talking about Klimchuk a few years back? Because Klimchuk has played in the AHL for 2 years. Perhaps you meant Valimaki?
I believe it was Klimchuk? On his 2nd year in his ELC he wasn't able to go to the AHL, and had to play in the WHL for yet another year, a route that possibly happens with Dube too.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #53
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has to keep it up to have a legitimate shot.

He should dress for another 2 exhibition games (4 for everyone, apparently). If he looks above the pack in both then it becomes a more legit possibility that he gets a few games.

Could see it though. He has looked tenacious and driven play at times regardless of what line he's been put on.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #54
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
The danger is that keeping a kid up and playing him on a defensive or grinding line can cause the kid to lose confidence in his offensive abilities and therefore stunt his offensive upside. Sure it looks like he'd be a passable fourth liner already but that may cause him to not develop into a 2nd liner.

I believe this may have happened with Lazar who was projected as a 2nd/3rd liner when drafted. If you want Dube to develop into the best player he can be it's better to be patient and let him dominate offensively at each level until he's ready to move into the NHL and take a more significant role.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #55
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
The danger is that keeping a kid up and playing him on a defensive or grinding line can cause the kid to lose confidence in his offensive abilities and therefore stunt his offensive upside. Sure it looks like he'd be a passable fourth liner already but that may cause him to not develop into a 2nd liner.

I believe this may have happened with Lazar who was projected as a 2nd/3rd liner when drafted. If you want Dube to develop into the best player he can be it's better to be patient and let him dominate offensively at each level until he's ready to move into the NHL and take a more significant role.
I want to see him on Bennett's wing next game.

Dube - Bennett - Versteeg
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #56
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thing is, I think an energy guy is Dube's best usage as an NHLer. Plus it's what he did at the WJC's last year and it really pumped him up IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #57
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How does Kelowna look this year? If they are going to be competitive, I say keep him in the dub this year and let him dominate, go to the World Juniors
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #58
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Thing is, I think an energy guy is Dube's best usage as an NHLer. Plus it's what he did at the WJC's last year and it really pumped him up IMO.
The kid has skill. Why develop him into a 4th liner if he's got 2nd/3rd line upside? He'll probably play a much bigger role on this years WJC team
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #59
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let him dominate juniors and play a top 6 role at the WJC.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #60
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The kid has skill. Why develop him into a 4th liner if he's got 2nd/3rd line upside? He'll probably play a much bigger role on this years WJC team
Because a great fourth liner has offensive skill. And he has other attributes that assist this. Anyway, there's plenty of guys who started on the fourth line and developed quickly into better roles. Fleury did it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote