Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Does that work in a destination town like Canmore? That will be tough.
That's the point. If you make the operating costs of having a vacation home
higher you drive down the capital cost of housing.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #22
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
They should habe restrictions on hotels not private properties.

If there is a housing crunch don't see how that's the home owners problem.
This is about as ignorant as you can get on the topic. Picture a city that has rising housing costs. As the cost of home ownership rises, it means more people will have to rent, as they can't afford to buy. I can go into the economics of why this is in another post if you want. So as the amount of rental demand increases, the rental supply decreases and charges more. Now add in short term rentals, like Air BNB. This further decreases the rental supply, and further pushes the price of rent up for the renters.

By restricting short term rentals, you are making more places available for local residents who need them. It also makes them more affordable. People are then not forced to make a choice between living near work and schools, and living an hour away, or moving to a new city. By restricting short term rentals you are lessening the housing crisis by helping locals find a place to live. Short term rentals are usually rented to people from out of town. By restricting them you are helping out the local tax payers, instead of travelers. If you are a homeowner, and are taking long term rentals out of the market for short term rentals, you are contributing to the housing shortage, and are profiting off of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #23
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a big issue in some cities. Amsterdam and Barcelona, for example, are putting tight restrictions on short-term rentals.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #24
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Vancouver they are having trouble hiring teachers because they can't afford to live there.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #25
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
In Vancouver they are having trouble hiring teachers because they can't afford to live there.
When I was in Tofino I was talking to a kayak guide. The owner had 3 employees in his house over the summer because they couldn’t find anything there with reasonable rent. Or to rent at all.

I love air BnB as a customer, and am looking at it as an investment opportunity, but I also don’t disagree with this.

In NY there’s a huge affordable housing crunch, because why would anyone rent out a condo for 4000/month when they can rent it out for 2000/week? I don’t think it’s fair at all for people that work there and cal it home, which is exactly why they made it illegal.

I know Canmore has had a huge push for affordable housing projects, but I find this option much more palatable.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #26
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Perfect example of the FYGM mentality.
And proud of it.

If hotels want to charge $400 a night I don't see why I can't rent out MY property that I OWN for whatever I want.

If there is a housing shortage maybe people should build more homes or not live in a tourist town.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #27
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just hate how there are restrictions on everything. Nobody should be able to tell a person who owns their home what they can or can not do with it. It's not the property owners responsibility to make the community run better or fix the housing shortage.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #28
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just hate how there are restrictions on everything. Nobody should be able to tell a person who owns their home what they can or can not do with it. It's not the property owners responsibility to make the community run better or fix the housing shortage.
I mean if I want to run a brothel with a safe injection site beside your house and fill my lawn with spent needles Inahould be allowed to.

These houses are zoned as residential not as Hotels. So really they aren't changing anything merely enforcing and explicitly defining the uses of each zone. If a property owner would like to run a vote they can buy a property zoned for such a purpose.

Unless of course you are against planning and zoning.

Last edited by GGG; 09-22-2017 at 07:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #29
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If hotels want to charge $400 a night I don't see why I can't rent out MY property that I OWN for whatever I want.
Because you’re not paying business tax on YOUR property, YOUR property isn’t zoned for commercial use, you’re likely not reporting it as income. You’re also not a hotel.

Hotels are *gasp* permitted to do this providing they follow the regulations put in place for hotels, built on land that’s zoned properly.

By your defence of it being your property and you should be able to do what you want with it, I should be able to extend my entire driveway across the front yard and build a 3 storey shop that takes up the entire back yard. But guess what, I can’t, because there’s town bylaws in place.

It’s interesting you want the homeless to rise up against the Kensington Safeway, but #### the people that can’t afford artificially inflated rent in Canmore.

Oh and in case you didn’t read the article that prompted this thread, a permit is available for homeowners who want to offer their home for short-term rentals.

The fine applies to those who didn’t have said permits.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #30
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes I understand it's a zoning issue...my issue is with exactly that.

And that Safeway comment was so obviously tongue in cheek...
Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #31
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I understand it's a zoning issue...my issue is with exactly that.

So you are saying that I can operate a run and tug beside your house and store broken down cars on my lawn and rent my house as a midnight garage band practice facility and you are okay with it because it's my property?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #32
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
So you are saying that I can operate a run and tug beside your house and store broken down cars on my lawn and rent my house as a midnight garage band practice facility and you are okay with it because it's my property?
No that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying if you want to rent your house on a short term basis you should be allowed to do that. You aren't allowed to have a rub and tug in any zone. Noise laws apply in every zone. And broken down cars on your lawn should be fine yes don't see the harm in that.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:08 PM   #33
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

In the interests of full disclosure, do you mention your bathtub ghosts?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #34
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No that's not what I'm saying, I'm saying if you want to rent your house on a short term basis you should be allowed to do that. You aren't allowed to have a rub and tug in any zone. Noise laws apply in every zone. And broken down cars on your lawn should be fine yes don't see the harm in that.
Can I build a Monty burns style sunshade to block out the sun from your yard?

Also why are Noise bylaws good and zoning bylaws bad. Both prevent me from doing what I want with my property

Last edited by GGG; 09-22-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #35
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with this within reason, the hotels charge so much that renting a house is sometimes cheaper.
s_procee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:47 PM   #36
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It is not just Canmore that this occurs, Fort Mac was having the same issues. And people that were heavily invested are now taking a loss.
s_procee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #37
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe change it so you're not allowed to rent furnished places. Or furnished is ok but no living items like sheets, towels, cooking utensils. Then you could do whatever you want with your property just not your junk that goes with it.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #38
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm saying if you want to rent your house on a short term basis you should be allowed to do that.
You are allowed. You just need a permit.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #39
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course if was.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:45 PM   #40
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is an AirBnB in one of the units in my apartment building. The body corporate is considering banning it for security reasons. A few cars have been broken into lately and although there is no proof the AirBnB is responsible it is not very comforting knowing that numerous randoms are regularly being given keys to the building.

Personally I think AirBnBs are great if the properties are only used that way for a portion of the year. Have a vacation home you can't use for a few months of the year, go for it. Having trouble finding a renter one month, no problem. The issues arise when a property is bought for the sole purpose of short term rentals as this drives up housing price and rents while hurting hotels. If you are renting short term 365 days a year you are a hotel and should be treated as such.