Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 02-16-2017, 04:58 PM   #701
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I am relieved that the jury found the evidence as compelling and obvious as 99.9% of the rest of us did.
Setting aside what I would personally want to do to Garland if Nathan was my son, I am glad that there is no death penalty, and I hope that he dies alone in a 10x10 room, in about 74 years. He truly deserves a fate worse than death.
I totally read that as a 4x4 room.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #702
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would the outcome have changed if:

1) Garland throws away the shoebox from the pair if shoes he allegedly wore?
2) There were no aerial photographs showing the bodies at the farm?

I'm guessing no but it makes you think how much that evidence swayed the jury...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #703
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Would the outcome have changed if:

1) Garland throws away the shoebox from the pair if shoes he allegedly wore?
2) There were no aerial photographs showing the bodies at the farm?

I'm guessing no but it makes you think how much that evidence swayed the jury...
He is no longer entitled to that word.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #704
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
He is no longer entitled to that word.
Touché.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #705
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
How was it allowed to be submitted? Read that the defense tried to get it inadmissible but no explanation why that was denied.
Here is the analysis that the judge would go through to decide on allowing the evidence:
1) the seriousness of the Charter-infringing state conduct - requires an assessment of whether the admission of the evidence would tend to bring the administration of justice into disrepute, and focuses on the severity of the state conduct that led to the Charter breach (which includes an analysis of whether the breach was deliberate or willful, and whether the officers were acting in good faith);

2) the impact on the Charter-protected interests of the accused - focuses on how the accused person was affected by the state conduct (which includes an analysis of the intrusiveness into the person's privacy, the direct impact on the right not to be forced to self-incriminate, and the effect on the person's human dignity); and

3) society's interest in an adjudication of the case on its merits - focuses on how reliable the evidence is in light of the nature of the Charter breach.
*source: http://casebrief.wikia.com/wiki/R_v_Grant

I don't know the case super well, but I think that the police would be given some leeway under part one of the analysis given the circumstances. At that time I do not think that there was any confirmation that the victims were dead and there was an on-going rescue mission. (Could be wrong on this though)

There was obviously a significant intrusion into his privacy and there was probably some chance that the evidence would be excluded but realistically the public would go ballistic if DNA evidence of the victims on his farm were to be excluded and he was acquitted. The judge's decision seems right to me.

It will almost certainly be appealed, but I'd be surprised if the verdict was overturned or a new trial ordered.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #706
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
##### I have the same lock...
I had that lock until a locksmith said there is a plastic part inside that one hit on the lever can open it.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #707
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
I had that lock until a locksmith said there is a plastic part inside that one hit on the lever can open it.
A lifetime of working with offenders has taught me one thing, they just kick your back door off the frame, locks are fairly irrelevant.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #708
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
A lifetime of working with offenders has taught me one thing, they just kick your back door off the frame, locks are fairly irrelevant.
I've always maintained that if someone wants into your home badly enough, they will find a way.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:13 AM   #709
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Well of course unless the home owner hears someone kicking in the door. Locks are very relevant, it's why every single house has one.

There's a reason Garland was searching his locks, if it was so easy to kick in his back door he would have done it. If I hear my door being kicked in I'm going straight to my gun safe.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #710
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those victim statements are going to be absolutely gut-wrenching.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 AM   #711
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I realize that just thought it was interesting info. Pretty easy to reinforce the stock soft pine jam so it can't be kicked open though.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #712
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Well of course unless the home owner hears someone kicking in the door. Locks are very relevant, it's why every single house has one.

There's a reason Garland was searching his locks, if it was so easy to kick in his back door he would have done it. If I hear my door being kicked in I'm going straight to my gun safe.
The glass right beside your front door makes a relatively quiet easy smash. Also a targeted murder is not a situation anyone should consider defending themselves from when choosing a lock.

The type of lock you choose is likely irrelevant in your risk of being robbed. The purpose of a lock is to defer the quick theft to someone else's house.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #713
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I agree, an appeal will come, the timeline on some of the gathered evidence is not good.

one thing that bothered me was the pic of the truck with the tarp(bodys) in the back was going south on macleod tr. near 58th ave, that's a full 20 blocks south of the Liknes home. seems strange to go that far south to get to Airdrie, did he think that was a safer route? it also seems strange to me that there was only one camera to catch that truck.
The truck was caught on a number of CCTV cameras. On Macleaod, on Glenmore, just outside calgary before Cross Iron, and again before Airdre on the weigh station camera. They did a tremendous job showing the truck go from the house to Airdre, back to the house, and to the doctors appointment he had. If it weren't the middle of summer I don't think they would have had a prayer piecing all that together.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #714
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt
you can support the families of #Garland victims- playground being built in @nathanschildren's honour-donate here: http://evenstartfoundation.org/get-i...-donation.html
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #715
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 22s23 seconds ago
More
#Garland sits with no expression facing the front of the court room from the prisoners box.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #716
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if he has any level of remorse?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #717
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I wonder if he has any level of remorse?
I don't care, tbh.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #718
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

3rd lawyer for #Garland speaking to court-Alias Sanders- about victim impact statements--concerned about some references to penalty

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 6m6 minutes ago
More
Sanders tells court she's concerned about some comments about #Garland's character in the victim impact statements

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 5m5 minutes ago
More
There will be 5 victim impact statements-Rod & Jennifer O'Brien will read theirs-others will be read by the crown #Garland
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #719
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt6m6 minutes ago
Sanders tells court she's concerned about some comments about #Garland's character in the victim impact statements

Boofrickenhoo! Subhuman, piece of trash, deserves everything coming to him
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #720
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

More
Gates: "tell me what your objection is?" He is getting annoyed with defence fighting the victim impact statements #Garland

Judge Gates is starting to get pissed off.

More
Defence concerned about reference to "divine punishment"- and wants it removed from Jen O'Brien's statement. #Garland

Nancy Hixt ‏@NancyHixt 2m2 minutes ago
More
Gates agrees to remove some descriptors of #Garland by Jennifer O'Brien-also references to how he has appeared during the trial

Last edited by CedarMeter; 02-17-2017 at 11:08 AM.
CedarMeter is online now   Reply With Quote