Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #4281
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Someone will eventually die doing the cut across and at that time they will put the barrier back in.
Have you driven that stretch? There is no reason to think that would be the case at 80 or even 100 KM/H. If you (the royal you) can't negotiate a lane change in that area at those speeds, then that's grounds for a driver's license forfeit. I mean, Christ, you even get your own lane for the merge, you just need to change one lane over.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:52 PM   #4282
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's not even a weave, arguably, as through traffic simply has to be in the left lane prior to the weave which most people already are. A weave requires both sets of traffic to be making lane changes like at a cloverleaf (which is why those aren't built anymore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Has there been any more talk of the lane reversal on Bow from Sarcee to 37th st (option E) or widening Sarcee between Richmond and Bow (option C) since that report was released? It looks like the only thing that got built was the widening of Sarcee between Richmond and 17th (option B).
Haven't heard anything. I think they were happy to wait till west leg opened to do anything then the delay to 2024 happened and it was, "oh well, we'll add the lane at Richmond and hope for the best..."
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:29 PM   #4283
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Have you driven that stretch? There is no reason to think that would be the case at 80 or even 100 KM/H. If you (the royal you) can't negotiate a lane change in that area at those speeds, then that's grounds for a driver's license forfeit. I mean, Christ, you even get your own lane for the merge, you just need to change one lane over.
Yeah but this isn’t that uncommon at the mess that is Deerfoot / southland / Anderson

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ot-trail-crash
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:31 PM   #4284
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the hope is that lowering the speed limit will prevent said car from rolling 5 times after the impact. At the end of the day, no road is crash proof when we give out driver's licenses like candy. Deerfoot is a disaster mostly done in the 70s and 80s but mainline Stoney and Henday are built to the highest standards we have and still have had perhaps more fatal crashes than one would expect, including Stoney SE which is just 8 lanes of straight freeway and perfect sightlines, except the giant radius curve down at Mahogany.

Alberta Transportation has to do a balancing act to keep dumb people alive, but also to not make people have to drive around the city to make a turn... and in the end no one is happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #4285
Roger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Acey, what is your opinion on how NB Deerfoot to WB Stoney and WB Stoney to SB Deerfoot weave underneath Deerfoot in the north? Do you know if there are any plans to change/upgrade that spot? I can see it being a big disaster in a few years as the central north keeps filling up with new houses.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:06 PM   #4286
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Acey, what is your opinion on how NB Deerfoot to WB Stoney and WB Stoney to SB Deerfoot weave underneath Deerfoot in the north? Do you know if there are any plans to change/upgrade that spot? I can see it being a big disaster in a few years as the central north keeps filling up with new houses.
I'd be interested to know why you think it will fail? I have my doubts that there will be a ton of traffic going NB to WB at the same time the commuting traffic is going WB to SB, or vice versa. Those movements should be hitting peaks at different times of the day. The lane configuration should hold up to consistent growth for a long time, and having the through lanes separated from the ramp lanes for such a long distance before the weave should avoid the traditional pitfalls of cloverleaf style weaves.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 01:56 PM   #4287
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah but this isn’t that uncommon at the mess that is Deerfoot / southland / Anderson

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...ot-trail-crash
I think comparing the two locations is unfair, Deerfoot was never anticipated to handle the kinds of insane volumes it does, whereas the ring road was designed with high volume in mind.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #4288
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think comparing the two locations is unfair, Deerfoot was never anticipated to handle the kinds of insane volumes it does, whereas the ring road was designed with high volume in mind.
This section of the road where this weave is was not designed for it.

Modern freeway design no longer has that kind of stupidity in it. We took a road that was designed to insanely high standards in terms of exit speeds and exit spacings. A true modern highway and then at the last minute put in a weave that would have never made it past the first design review.

Look at how the deerfot Stoney intersection is designed and how they restricted neighborhood access to avoid this same scenario limiting east bound access into Cranston. That is proper design.

Last edited by GGG; 09-03-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #4289
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This section of the road where this weave is was not designed for it.

Modern freeway design no longer has that kind of stupidity in it. We took a road that was designed to insanely high standards in terms of exit speeds and exit spacings. A true modern highway and then at the last minute put in a weave that would have never made it past the first design review.

Look at how the deerfot Stoney intersection is designed and how they restricted neighborhood access to avoid this same scenario limiting east bound access into Cranston. That is proper design.
But... it's not a weave, Acey already explained what a weave is and this isn't one. It's a lane change for only one lane of traffic, the other lane doesn't have to. It doesn't necessitate a drop in speed.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #4290
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But... it's not a weave, Acey already explained what a weave is and this isn't one. It's a lane change for only one lane of traffic, the other lane doesn't have to. It doesn't necessitate a drop in speed.
I’ll have to drive it again but doesn’t the 37th st exit come from the north bound Stoney to glenmore on ramp so the people in the right most lane have to move 1 lane left and are accelerating up to speed while the people coming from southbound Stoney to glenmore to 37th are decelerating and changing across 2 lanes.

In any event there is no way at the 80 km it should be posted and that people drive it at that there is sufficent to length to meet the design requirements for the south Stoney to glenmore to 37th maneuver. There a reason it wasn’t there in the design in the first place.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #4291
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ll have to drive it again but doesn’t the 37th st exit come from the north bound Stoney to glenmore on ramp so the people in the right most lane have to move 1 lane left and are accelerating up to speed while the people coming from southbound Stoney to glenmore to 37th are decelerating and changing across 2 lanes.

In any event there is no way at the 80 km it should be posted and that people drive it at that there is sufficent to length to meet the design requirements for the south Stoney to glenmore to 37th maneuver. There a reason it wasn’t there in the design in the first place.
I think you mean southbound Sarcee. And no, it's a single lane change. You take the flyover in the right hand lane, and you get your own lane. You change one lane over and you are in an exit lane to 37th St.

It's by our house, I drive it constantly.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-03-2021, 10:37 PM   #4292
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bottom line is that Glenmore is not a freeway, which is why they caved and allowed this. All this work was done as part of the ring road project so I think we need to just take a step back and remember that this would absolutely not fly on the mainline ring road and they wouldn't have even entertained the idea. An almost identical configuration exists on Deerfoot between Cranston Ave/Seton and 22X with people calling for the southbound barrier to be nuked in 2013 so they could cut across and not trek all the way down to Dunbow Rd to u-turn. Deerfoot is a freeway, so AT said no. Coincidentally a much shorter u-turn now exists down there with the completion of the 212 Ave interchange.

Yes Glenmore is 8 lanes wide and carries 130k vehicles daily over the causeway making it one of Canada's busiest roads... but it's still not a freeway, despite doing a pretty good job masquerading as one since the completion of the GE5 project. So things like the pathetic 14 St interchange, and now this, are allowed to exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Yep what Mazrim said covers it - if it begins to bog it's off the mainline so it's fine. That WB-SB loop barely has anybody using it, and even as growth continues in the NE I don't anticipate a ton of demand for that movement.

What's interesting is that the new 22X/Macleod interchange is a functional copy of Stoney NE/Deerfoot, but improved with additional bridges to reduce overall footprint and yet another bridge to remove the weave by way of a Crowchild/Stoney-style unrolled loop ramp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-04-2021, 10:03 AM   #4293
Roger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I'd be interested to know why you think it will fail? I have my doubts that there will be a ton of traffic going NB to WB at the same time the commuting traffic is going WB to SB, or vice versa. Those movements should be hitting peaks at different times of the day. The lane configuration should hold up to consistent growth for a long time, and having the through lanes separated from the ramp lanes for such a long distance before the weave should avoid the traditional pitfalls of cloverleaf style weaves.
Maybe from the perspective of a car, it's no big deal. Larger vehicles going west, wanting to turn south have to contend with dual lanes of vehicles that were going north, turning west. It may be a long lane after it has sorted, but the actual crossover portion is really short. It's a cloverleaf that connects the two busiest freeways in the city.

It's not so bad today, but I pretty much guarantee that in a few years, with all the construction in Livingston and Carrington, afternoon rush is going to be ridiculous. People coming home on Deerfoot wanting to go west, and all the traffic that pretty much never stops on Stoney wanting to get on Deerfoot have to cross over in 300m. It's going to be mini Deerfoot/Southland/Anderson in the not too distant future.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #4294
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a cost-benefit situation, that interchange was $100 million in 2009 and they built flyovers to service the heavy left turning movements. Full stack interchanges are monstrosities and that's why there's only one in the entire country, in Toronto.

If it needs a fix later on then so be it, but I'm perfectly fine with the way it was built 10+ years ago when a flyover was absolutely not necessary.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #4295
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Yes Glenmore is 8 lanes wide and carries 130k vehicles daily over the causeway making it one of Canada's busiest roads... but it's still not a freeway, despite doing a pretty good job masquerading as one [...]
Is it not, by definition, a freeway...? At least west of Barlow.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #4296
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Is it not, by definition, a freeway...? At least west of Barlow.
By dictionary definition yes, by Alberta Transportation classification - no. AT calls it a UED (urban expressway divided) as opposed to UFD (urban freeway divided), hence the lower posted speed.
Old 09-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #4297
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
By dictionary definition yes, by Alberta Transportation classification - no. AT calls it a UED (urban expressway divided) as opposed to UFD (urban freeway divided), hence the lower posted speed.
Do I have this right, then?

UED: Free-flowing parts of: Glenmore, Crowchild, 16 Ave
UFD: Deerfoot, Stoney / TsuuT'ina
Old 09-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #4298
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do I have this right, then?

UED: Free-flowing parts of: Glenmore, Crowchild, 16 Ave
UFD: Deerfoot, Stoney / TsuuT'ina
I don't think you have to limit it to the free-flowing part of Glenmore as an expressway by definition allows at-grade intersections. 16 Ave is more of a mess, as a big chunk of it in the middle is an urban arterial based on my understanding. I'm on mobile but I do have the chart somewhere showing the classifications and design speeds.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #4299
Roger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
It's a cost-benefit situation, that interchange was $100 million in 2009 and they built flyovers to service the heavy left turning movements. Full stack interchanges are monstrosities and that's why there's only one in the entire country, in Toronto.

If it needs a fix later on then so be it, but I'm perfectly fine with the way it was built 10+ years ago when a flyover was absolutely not necessary.
That's all I was asking. If there were future plans. Didn't mean to offend anyone or make it sound like it's a huge problem today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #4300
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for clarifying, seems dumb on AT's part to make this somewhat arbitrary distinction. Going westbound past 37th Street Glenmore feels awfully slow at 80 km/h, and eastbound feels not much less ludicrous.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post: