Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2022, 08:30 PM   #81
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
The WoS creators are just trying too hard to be one of the cool kids. But that's fine on a forum.

They better hope that the Flames win the cup though, or they may have the tables flipped!
Sure?

I think you need to focus more on cleaning up your hot GT takes, given how the last game went.

I don't even know what that second part means lol. Are you going to create a wall to shame the positive posters for believing if we lose in the finals?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:34 PM   #82
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
If you don’t like seeing a collection of all the stupid things you say, say less stupid stuff. Feel free to start anytime.
I don't even know where to find the wall of shame, let alone read it. It's just cutting and pasting posts that already exist on the forum isn't it? That seems like a waste of time to me, but fill your boots if it makes you happy.

I just find this discussion interesting. The entire concept seems to reek of insecurity. I certainly am never bothered by what other people post. I couldn't imagine getting emotionally charged enough to make it a project.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:40 PM   #83
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Sure?

I think you need to focus more on cleaning up your hot GT takes, given how the last game went.

I don't even know what that second part means lol. Are you going to create a wall to shame the positive posters for believing if we lose in the finals?
I forget about my posts in the GT within ten seconds of making them. That's what a GT is, just extemporaneous commentary.

If Brendone thinks it's interesting to collect all of those in a post, and be an off-brand Gaskal, then all the power to him I guess?
Old 05-12-2022, 08:46 PM   #84
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I forget about my posts in the GT within ten seconds of making them. That's what a GT is, just extemporaneous commentary.

If Brendone thinks it's interesting to collect all of those in a post, and be an off-brand Gaskal, then all the power to him I guess?
And this is what makes you an important cog in the wheel that makes the Wall work.

You're already gaining celebrity status.. If I were you I'd soak it up and just lean into it.

It makes my job way easier!
Old 05-12-2022, 08:49 PM   #85
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Won’t be me, I’m just an observer, but I appreciate the effort some are willing to put in to keep this a fun place. I do find the GT’s pretty toxic, so I don’t get into them that much. I find if a game has me on the edge of the dark places, the GT’s can drag you all the way down. It used to be a place I could see if others were “feeling” the same as I was, but “something seems off” has evolved into “launch player X into the sun”, and “if you like this team your an idiot” level crap.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:50 PM   #86
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
And this is what makes you an important cog in the wheel that makes the Wall work.

You're already gaining celebrity status.. If I were you I'd soak it up and just lean into it.

It makes my job way easier!
I thought Brendone did the wall?
Old 05-12-2022, 08:52 PM   #87
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I thought Brendone did the wall?

My biggest contribution is probably jokes that no one finds funny. Probably net neutral member at best.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 08:54 PM   #88
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I find if a game has me on the edge of the dark places, the GT’s can drag you all the way down.
A game played by grown men for our entertainment shouldn't have control over someone's state of mind to this degree.

You don't have control over any of what happens on your screen, so don't let the actions of others define your happiness.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:09 PM   #89
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Shouldn't we lean positive as a rule?
People should just express their opinions.

I don’t think there needs to be a rule as to how those are expressed. And I don’t think the WoS does that either. I think it’s funny and concurrently think Lanny has a valid point, both can be true.

CP has been awesome for people just giving opinions and I genuinely don’t think some WoS is going to change that, so the counter to Lanny is just that- this isn’t going to change anything I don’t think.

The worst thing to happen to CP was the like feature. It’s like all social media in that regard and culminates in groupthink and the kind of bullying Lanny is suggesting. The like feature is far more dangerous to the type of discourse he wants to see and far more encouraging to foster a “cool kids” atmosphere. I don’t think the WoS has or will have the same effect.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 09:21 PM   #90
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I happen to like the like feature, if only because I can rest knowing that at any time, when it is called upon, "this post is terrible" has it at his disposal.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:22 PM   #91
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What if I told you there is no physical wall.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 09:24 PM   #92
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
People should just express their opinions.

I don’t think there needs to be a rule as to how those are expressed. And I don’t think the WoS does that either. I think it’s funny and concurrently think Lanny has a valid point, both can be true.

CP has been awesome for people just giving opinions and I genuinely don’t think some WoS is going to change that, so the counter to Lanny is just that- this isn’t going to change anything I don’t think.

The worst thing to happen to CP was the like feature. It’s like all social media in that regard and culminates in groupthink and the kind of bullying Lanny is suggesting. The like feature is far more dangerous to the type of discourse he wants to see and far more encouraging to foster a “cool kids” atmosphere. I don’t think the WoS has or will have the same effect.
Isn't the like (thanks) feature just people expressing their opinions?

"Positive feedback is the problem!" Hot take.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #93
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default WoS debate thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The flip side of this would be , shouldn’t there be a bit of a sounding board to let people know if their opinion is or isn’t shared? An extreme example of this would be the Freedom Convoy claiming “All of Canada supports us!” The fk we do! Where’s the unlike button so you clowns can see how wrong you are.

Having said that, I understand that social media isn’t that clean cut, and the like/unlike is “influenced”. I would like to think a community like CP is a little more “balanced” if the majority “disliked” a bad take. For example a post of “Backlund is the worst player ever!” - 300 dislike this post, 1 like this post. Yeah, you have a bad take, stop pushing it.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:34 PM   #94
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Isn't the like (thanks) feature just people expressing their opinions?

"Positive feedback is the problem!" Hot take.
I don't think so actually, not really.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:38 PM   #95
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
The flip side of this would be , shouldn’t there be a bit of a sounding board to let people know if their opinion is or isn’t shared? An extreme example of this would be the Freedom Convoy claiming “All of Canada supports us!” The fk we do! Where’s the unlike button so you clowns can see how wrong you are.

Having said that, I understand that social media isn’t that clean cut, and the like/unlike is “influenced”. I would like to think a community like CP is a little more “balanced” if the majority “disliked” a bad take. For example a post of “Backlund is the worst player ever!” - 300 dislike this post, 1 like this post. Yeah, you have a bad take, stop pushing it.
Actually, there's lots of times where an opinion that isn't shared with the majority is the correct / best one. Groupthink is a thing that exists and the thanks feature reinforces this effect often to the detriment of better discussion.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:50 PM   #96
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m waiting for the wall of flame where it is just the insanely positive and fawning over everything that the flames do comments.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:24 PM   #97
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What if I told you there is no physical wall.

If someone takes a second projector to Flames Gimp’s shindig, there could be
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:16 AM   #98
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I find some of the comments screaming about officiating, conspiracy theories, bad ice etc. are just as worthy of laughter. Not homerism, but excess defensiveness or excuse making is OK to laugh about IMO.
So do I to be honest.

But that's not really my point. I'm saying a forum for fans of a sports team are going to have a positive bias. I mean seriously what's the point if you don't?

That doesn't have to be countered to a perfect state of neutrality.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:18 AM   #99
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Because the positive-nics say an incredible amount of stupid stuff that deserves ridicule as well?

People display hope and optimism in different ways. Some critical and looking for perfection, but also giving kudos for good play. Some have rose colored glasses and never see any negative behavior from the team. We all have hope, just varying degrees in letting it bubble to the surface. It should also be noted that diversity is what keeps each in check and cultures functional, but I digress.

Shouldn't we lean to neutral and try to remain objective? Neither overly negative but neither overly positive?
I don't think you've read your stuff when things aren't going well.

You can almost see your manic grin in your posts.

Not fooling me, or anyone else either I would guess.

But no ... a fan forum doesn't have to be neutral. That's silly, it never would or could be.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:19 AM   #100
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

If we’ve learned anything here it’s that if you want to create content for the site, don’t ask for opinions. Just do it.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
djsflameisthenegativeone