Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #41
KPat99
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have enjoyed the WoS but agree on the more focused approach to the comments added. I typically don't lurk in the PGT as I do everywhere else because it spirals into such negativity. I think the egregious and hyperbolic hysteria stuff should be called out light heartedly. The "player x made a bad play" less so.

Keep it up!
Old 05-12-2022, 03:38 PM   #42
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I personally get a kick out of some wanting the counter balance homer or I told you so hall of fame as well.

Why do those people thing you need balance in this sort of thing?

We are hockey fans cheering for a hockey team, and hoping for success. Why would optimism and hope have to find equal parts of pessimism and despair in a world of hockey fans?

Shouldn't we lean positive as a rule?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:40 PM   #43
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm ok with it for sure. It's tagged so if you don't want to read, drive on by.

I tend to stay away from the GT because my so called state of the art fastest speed available on the planet (SO SHAW SAYS) cable boxes are always 30 seconds or so behind.

Any appetite to bring back You Love You Lose?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I personally get a kick out of some wanting the counter balance homer or I told you so hall of fame as well.

We are hockey fans cheering for a hockey team, and hoping for success. Why would optimism and hope have to find equal parts of pessimism and despair in a world of hockey fans?

Positivity?

Are you sure you're a Flames fan?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #45
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not overly worked up one way or the other about the WoS, but I think it should be anonymized like the ATL. Yes...if someone REALLY wants to know who said what...fine, go look it up.

But if the point is to highlight how volatile we are as fans...that we can be TOTALLY PISSED in the second period of a game at how lousy everyone is...and TOTALLY ECSTATIC and the end of the third....aren't there better ways to do it?

Like, say, just read the GT.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:47 PM   #46
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Not overly worked up one way or the other about the WoS, but I think it should be anonymized like the ATL. Yes...if someone REALLY wants to know who said what...fine, go look it up.

But if the point is to highlight how volatile we are as fans...that we can be TOTALLY PISSED in the second period of a game at how lousy everyone is...and TOTALLY ECSTATIC and the end of the third....aren't there better ways to do it?

correlation between people who enjoy/create WoS and people who are easily triggered is 1:1
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:00 PM   #47
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm just honoured 3 of my posts actually made it, it's like when the hot person in school gives you a compliment and you're like "omg you know I exist?"

The clarification post in the PGT helped a lot for me too, I was genuinely confused why a couple of my posts made it, but it's all in good fun!

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:15 PM   #48
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post

I think it's more of a fun way to look back to laugh at ourselves on how erratic we were when we were panicking. I'm assuming most Flames fans should probably be in a good mood after a win right? It's all the more satisfying to read some of our hot takes after Flames turned it around and won. I know I laugh at myself at the dumb texts I send to my Flames group chat during moments of panic, only to have the Flames pull off the win afterwards.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:19 PM   #49
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I find some of the comments screaming about officiating, conspiracy theories, bad ice etc. are just as worthy of laughter. Not homerism, but excess defensiveness or excuse making is OK to laugh about IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #50
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

This thread is also a good place to point out that I am always right, and the rest of you are often wrong.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #51
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

To keep it more concise for reading and not as big a job to do, consider including only the hottest takes and most egregious OTT comments, as well as any obvious trolling or things that people should be ashamed to post (especially if they should be ashamed to post it if they are really a fan). And consider making the comments anonymous; those who really want to know can go back and find the comments in question, and besides which, those who regularly frequent these boards can probably already tell from the tone and the contents of each comment who the most likely poster was.

Last edited by Macindoc; 05-12-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:27 PM   #52
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the concept, but the most recent edition was probably 80% posts that aren’t shameful at all. So and so made a bad play is not a shameful comment. So and so is useless and should be fired into the sun? To the WoS you go. (Unless it’s Chris Butler or equivalent)
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:30 PM   #53
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
This thread is also a good place to point out that I am always right, and the rest of you are often wrong.
Lol now that is what I'm talking about, exactly the type of post that belongs on the WOS!
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:31 PM   #54
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
I like the concept, but the most recent edition was probably 80% posts that aren’t shameful at all. So and so made a bad play is not a shameful comment. So and so is useless and should be fired into the sun? To the WoS you go. (Unless it’s Chris Butler or equivalent)
Tkachuk comments at the time were warranted. I was on the fence as to whether to include those. For whatever reason, went with it.

The comments that bashed Backlund and Coleman were included because they ended up making a rather huge difference in the game, so those posters deserved to eat crow.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:35 PM   #55
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only 2 things I look for on the PGT are Gaskal's ATL and Zamler's Yanet clips.

If the WoS can be as concise as the ATL I think it will be great. The current version is way too long. Naming names or not I don't have an opinion.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #56
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Hi guys. Whatcha talking about?
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #57
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
The only 2 things I look for on the PGT are Gaskal's ATL and Zamler's Yanet clips.

If the WoS can be as concise as the ATL I think it will be great. The current version is way too long. Naming names or not I don't have an opinion
That's the goal. I appreciate the feedback because it was really a feeling-out process.

I felt like the first one was too short. The last ended up being too long. If I can find that happy medium and push the humour angle I think people will slowly get on board with the rest.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:09 PM   #58
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't mind it. If I wind up on it, I'll take it on the chin and deal with it.

Though on the other hand, I don't really get the appeal. In a moment of weakness/emotional distress, a person will blurt out something they don't actually mean. The community responds to this by shining a giant spotlight on what was said and mocking/ridiculing the person as much as possible. It comes across as kicking someone when they're down.

If someone on the board says something about the team that I strongly disagree with, it doesn't bring me joy to mock/ridicule the person. Maybe that makes me weird. Who knows.

If it were up to me, the WoS wouldn't have names attached to the comments. But I'm fine with whatever the community decides to do.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:14 PM   #59
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like it, but as I said in the PGT I am free to scroll right past it. Keeping the NSFW tags if it's going to continue would be appreciated.

Kind of amused by the justification that it will help the board by holding people accountable. I'm not sure it works that way. Feels like you just want to point and laugh at the extreme segments of what is, essentially, the stream of unfiltered consciousness that is the GT.

I don't see how this will make the board better. Just a little schadenfreude towards your fellow fans. That it's so contentious already seems like a bad idea at its infancy.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:15 PM   #60
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Because the positive-nics say an incredible amount of stupid stuff that deserves ridicule as well?

Quote:
People display hope and optimism in different ways. Some critical and looking for perfection, but also giving kudos for good play. Some have rose colored glasses and never see any negative behavior from the team. We all have hope, just varying degrees in letting it bubble to the surface. It should also be noted that diversity is what keeps each in check and cultures functional, but I digress.

Quote:
Shouldn't we lean to neutral and try to remain objective? Neither overly negative but neither overly positive?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
djsflameisthenegativeone