Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2021, 10:01 AM   #141
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Dang. Too bad the Michigan matchup wasn’t an evening game. I had to miss it. Looks like Iowa was a pretender. They’ll go tumbling down the rankings.

First CFP rankings are this Monday.
Will be interesting to see the rankings. There are 7, maybe 8 teams that legitimately could be top 4 and outside Georgia being a lock i have no idea how they will ranked. You can make a case for them all.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:40 PM   #142
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

1. Georgia (63) 8-0
2. Cincinnati 8-0
3. Alabama 7-1
4. Oklahoma 9-0
5. Michigan State 8-0
6. Ohio State 7-1
7. Oregon 7-1
8. Notre Dame 7-1
9. Michigan 7-1
10. Wake Forest 8-0
11. Oklahoma State 7-1
12. Auburn 6-2
13. Texas A&M 6-2
14. Baylor 7-1
15. Mississippi 6-2
Old 10-31-2021, 06:41 PM   #143
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Wow.

Quote:
Gary Patterson is out at TCU after 20 years as coach of the Horned Frogs, the school announced on Sunday night.

In meeting with the longtime coach Sunday, school officials asked Patterson to finish this season, but he declined. Instead, Patterson, who coached in the Horned Frogs' 31-12 loss at Kansas State Saturday, will be replaced by Jerry Kill, an assistant on his staff, on an interim basis for a team that is 3-5 overall, and 1-4 in the Big 12 this season.
It really is the ultimate "what have you done for me lately" job.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-director-says
Old 11-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #144
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Wow.

It really is the ultimate "what have you done for me lately" job.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-director-says
That's the 4th mid season firing I can think of this year (maybe I missed some). For college ball these make zero sense as you are unlikely to hire your choice until the season is over anyway. Unless there are extenuating circumstances where you need to pull the trigger immediately (Washington State for example) I don't know what this does to a program other than damage it.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:12 PM   #145
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That's the 4th mid season firing I can think of this year (maybe I missed some). For college ball these make zero sense as you are unlikely to hire your choice until the season is over anyway. Unless there are extenuating circumstances where you need to pull the trigger immediately (Washington State for example) I don't know what this does to a program other than damage it.
I mean it was his call to leave immediately. The school asked him to stay through the end of the year.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #146
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I mean it was his call to leave immediately. The school asked him to stay through the end of the year.
True. Same situation with Ed Ogeron at LSU but he elected to stay for the season. But it still hurts recruiting either way as there is now uncertainly in who will be coaching next year.

Kinda like you or I getting fired but your employer asks you to stick around until they find your replacement.
Old 11-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #147
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

If I got paid what Greg Patterson got paid they could have me interview my replacement. I won’t pretend to believe this is amateur sport by any means but that’s a selfish move to just bail on the kids there. Finish the year out for the kids you brought in, ass.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:44 PM   #148
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Rankings are out and Cincy is the big loser. #2 in AP to #6 in CFP. Basically confirms they have no shot unless there’s a miracle. Clearly they want nothing to do with group of five schools. We knew that already but now it’s official.

Oklahoma at 8 is a surprise too.

Georgia
Bama
Michigan state
Oregon
Ohio st
Cincy
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:36 PM   #149
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Wow, what am I missing that Oklahoma would be rated 8? Cinci dropping out of the top 4 surprises no one, but I'm stunned to see the top team from the Big 12 being down that far. It's still a Power 5 Conference isn't it?
Old 11-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #150
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

For now. Remains to be seen if they still will be when OU and Texas leave.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:15 PM   #151
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
If I got paid what Greg Patterson got paid they could have me interview my replacement. I won’t pretend to believe this is amateur sport by any means but that’s a selfish move to just bail on the kids there. Finish the year out for the kids you brought in, ass.
Yeah, for all the talk that coaches give about teamwork, loyalty, having each other’s back, and so on, they aren’t particularly good about practicing what they preach.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:20 PM   #152
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Wow, what am I missing that Oklahoma would be rated 8? Cinci dropping out of the top 4 surprises no one, but I'm stunned to see the top team from the Big 12 being down that far. It's still a Power 5 Conference isn't it?
It should be obvious by now that actual win-loss records don’t matter.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #153
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Wow, what am I missing that Oklahoma would be rated 8?
Their best win is a 4-4 Texas team. They almost choked games off to Kansas and Tulane. They aren't Alabama. Im an Oklahoma fan and understand the ranking. But if they win out they have to be in .... right?

I'm convinced they should just make a conference of the top 10 teams the media loves (Bama, GA, Clemson, OU, Oregon, Ohio State etc) and let them play a schedule against each other and for a National Title.

The other 100 or so schools then play for another lesser national title.

How Alabama is ranked in the Top 4 after losing to Texas A&M is beyond me. How Oregon is ranked below Ohio State after beating them is silly. I understand the NCAA is all about money and the money is in the Bama and Ohio States being in the playoffs. It sucks but what can ya do?
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #154
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Their best win is a 4-4 Texas team. They almost choked games off to Kansas and Tulane. They aren't Alabama. Im an Oklahoma fan and understand the ranking. But if they win out they have to be in .... right?

I'm convinced they should just make a conference of the top 10 teams the media loves (Bama, GA, Clemson, OU, Oregon, Ohio State etc) and let them play a schedule against each other and for a National Title.

How Alabama is ranked in the Top 4 after losing to Texas A&M is beyond me. How Oregon is ranked below Ohio State after beating them is silly. I understand the NCAA is all about money and the money is in the Bama and Ohio States being in the playoffs. It sucks but what can ya do?
Oregon is ranked #4, just above Ohio State. As an OU fan it hurts to see them at 8 but when I reflect it is probably about right. They can still take care of business and end up with a good shot by winning out. To me the three surprises were how low OU and Cincinnati are, and that Alabama is 2 - that's seems absurdly high. Now the debating can begin for real, but for the most part most teams in the top 8 still control their own destiny so it will probably shake out in the end with maybe a controversy over 4/5.

Georgia: they are in the SEC championship regardless. If they play Bama and lose I still think they have a good chance. If someone other than Bama makes it to the SEC championship and them beats Georgia I'm not sure they make it as a 1 loss team.

Alabama: win out and they are probably in. One more loss and they are done.

Michigan State: also win out and they are in. That means beating Ohio State which they will need to do anyhow to win the east division. Then don't lose to a bad West team in the Big10 championship

Oregon: I think they are out even if they win out. They will be a 1 loss team from a weak PAC12. Unless a bunch of other teams stumble too.

Ohio State: likely in if they win out. Lose one more and they are done.

Cincinnati: need to win out, blow out some teams along the way and get a lot of help from other teams losing. It's clear the Committee will do anything they can to keep a Power 5 team out of the playoffs.

Michigan: practically zero chance of making it. They won't make the Big10 championship without a lot of help.

Oklahoma: win out and they have a good chance. They have played a weak schedule but their best three opponents are their next three. Beat them all (one one of them twice) and the schedule strength looks better.

Wake Forest: Long shot but if they win out it makes for an interesting conversation. They would be undefeated and the winner of a Power 5 conference which would be hard to overlook. The argument that the ACC is weak (it is) doesn't hold water because Clemson was not held to that same standard the past few years. Would be hypocritical to not include Wake. But the likelihood they remain undefeated is small in my opinion.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #155
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post

These rankings have generated a ton of controversy because the general feeling is that the committee is setting it up to put in two SEC teams.

However, the committee uses very strict criteria. One of those being “how would other teams fare if they played each other’s schedules”. Plus SOS and margin of victory etc.

So you’re absolutely right OU simply doesn’t have the resume to this point. It also provides a good reason as to why Bama is in despite their loss and why Wake is 9th. Even why Cincy is 6th.

Going undefeated used to be the ultimate measuring stick. But all it did was encourage puffball schedules and teams with hilariously bad out of conference schedules.

SEC and B1G are the only conferences that are good enough to make it based on intra conference play.

For better or worse, losing a game isn’t a huge deal anymore. It’s all about who you play and how you play. Having a bad week and losing to a mediocre team no longer ends your season.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #156
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Giant killers Purdue at it again.
Old 11-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #157
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

This abc crew is pathetic. Obvious pick by Purdue and they’re convinced it was a simultaneous catch and a blown call. Even on the slowmo replay that made it more obvious they doubled down.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #158
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Gosh you hate to see anything bad happen to Midnight Mel
Old 11-07-2021, 08:37 AM   #159
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two more undefeated teams go down yesterday. That essentially eliminates Wake although Michigan State still has a shot at the playoffs. Alabama and Cincinnati with closer games than expected, I doubt it hurts Bama but it’s not going to help Cincinnati. Ohio State also in a close one but Nebraska has played everyone tough this year even if they’ve lost most of them.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #160
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be interesting (as always) to see the rankings this week. Alabama, Cincinnati, and Ohio State didn't do them selves any favors with less than impressive wins. Oregon wasn't much better. Alabama will be intriguing because the quality of their wins also took a big hit this week with Florida, and Mississippi State (two of their quality wins on the schedule) both losing yet again this weekend. The whole argument about their schedule being tougher is not so apparent anymore. Michigan State should drop but don't see how they can drop below Michigan.

Again much will sort itself out especially in the Big 10 but still fun to speculate.