Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #241
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My sister had been with Husky for 30+ years and now she's not, I'm sure she got a decent package, but still devastating and stressful.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 11:37 AM   #242
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
My sister had been with Husky for 30+ years and now she's not, I'm sure she got a decent package, but still devastating and stressful.
30 Years with one company is basically an entire career, and she gets a package on top of that? She can probably buy a small Caribbean Island.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #243
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Including a strong RRSP/stock matching program and being employed at a producer through the early 2000 boom years during the height of her career? That's not devastating - that's a perfectly timed retirement gift.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #244
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its mentally devastating more then financially devastating for her. I don't know what the package is looking like, but it probably sets her up well to walk away.

Old 01-26-2021, 01:06 PM   #245
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
2000 well paying jobs go poof. Taking taxes the pay and economic impact with them.

They can just get some training and get into green tech though so no worries. Back up and running in a few months.

Abysmal that our Fed gov’t has taken a raw situation and stood idly by. This has real human cost.
What's different this time around is the investment climate has been poisoned in this country making it difficult for juniors to start up. Traditionally there were always small juniors and mid sized companies to land at for many of those who were downsized during mergers. It was all part of the cycle. But that has changed and there are few juniors starting up now and therefore nowhere for these people to land.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #246
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
What's different this time around is the investment climate has been poisoned in this country making it difficult for juniors to start up. Traditionally there were always small juniors and mid sized companies to land at for many of those who were downsized during mergers. It was all part of the cycle. But that has changed and there are few juniors starting up now and therefore nowhere for these people to land.

A lot of junior level work is being shipped over seas too.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #247
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Its mentally devastating more then financially devastating for her. I don't know what the package is looking like, but it probably sets her up well to walk away.
From personal experience it's tough on the ego and pride being walked out NOT on your own terms. From a package perspective, if she's at ~30yrs there then that likely puts her early to mid 50's and if she's been decent with her personal savings/investments then by all means she should be golden retiring from this profession now. That leaves passion projects, interests, further schooling, travel (at some point), personal development and focus. Hopefully her life and mental "self" are not purely work-related and she has outside interests and a solid network to lean on?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 12:08 PM   #248
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Crunch hit on it, but from watching co-workers in their late 50s get laid off is far tougher than one would think package or not.

There is a close but not close enough aspect to it. That they would have been happy to work 5-7 more years and coast out on their terms. From the people I know they pretty much think their done in the corporate world given their age.

As others noted taking a seasoned connected person on contract for a junior was always out there. That is gone. So despite the financial part being doable, its the mental part of thinking your done and retired from corporate work too soon.

On a positive I have seen many come back on contract because they are the only ones that know what’s going on. So I would tell them to look for those opportunities. They totally exist and you can keep busy and make double what you made for a while.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 02:35 PM   #249
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So what is the solution here?

Do we just sit idly by?

The Premier has to use every tool in his tool box and the only one that will get the attention of the country is to "turn the taps off"

I don't care who it affects or how much damage is done across the country we need to start taking care of ourselves.

The status quo is not acceptable nor is it sustainable.

Enough is ####ing enough. We tried the carrot (CLP under Notley) and now it's time for the stick.

Kenney is the most pathetic premier in my lifetime. Do something or resign.

I hate Trudeau. I hate Kenney. I hate everyone.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:34 PM   #250
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Crunch hit on it, but from watching co-workers in their late 50s get laid off is far tougher than one would think package or not.

There is a close but not close enough aspect to it. That they would have been happy to work 5-7 more years and coast out on their terms. From the people I know they pretty much think their done in the corporate world given their age.

As others noted taking a seasoned connected person on contract for a junior was always out there. That is gone. So despite the financial part being doable, its the mental part of thinking your done and retired from corporate work too soon.

On a positive I have seen many come back on contract because they are the only ones that know what’s going on. So I would tell them to look for those opportunities. They totally exist and you can keep busy and make double what you made for a while.
Agree with all above...bolded part...watch out somebody's condo board, there's a new sheriff in town.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #251
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Agree with all above...bolded part...watch out somebody's condo board, there's a new sheriff in town.
Sorry about your sister Cap...but I lol'ed...
Old 01-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #252
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its ok, to laugh, that's actually really funny.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #253
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's been quiet on this thread for 2 weeks... and now we have the next big announcement for Calgary O&G that guaranteed will result in more folks on the street. Arc Resources and 7Generation combining.

https://www.7genergy.com/investors/a...ic-combination
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:36 PM   #254
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Cenovus released their figures last night, I think they had a 10 billion dollar loss. Husky's final numbers were revenues of 13 billion and a 10 billion dollar loss.

I think, we're heading for another raft of layoffs.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #255
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Losses or net earnings don't result in layoffs. Non-cash impairments aren't reflecting over future economics.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #256
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
It's been quiet on this thread for 2 weeks... and now we have the next big announcement for Calgary O&G that guaranteed will result in more folks on the street. Arc Resources and 7Generation combining.

https://www.7genergy.com/investors/a...ic-combination
There’ll be some layoffs here but not as many as other combinations because they don’t have a ton of operations overlap. You’ll still maybe get some office efficiencies maybe.

Hearing IPL and North River combining but that’s rumour and also there will be a pile more layoffs from TORC after Whitecap closes that deal.

Basically this whole year is spurring a ton of M&A which translates to cuts. Still, the environment is looking more positive into the future I think now than it did.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 09:00 PM   #257
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Losses or net earnings don't result in layoffs. Non-cash impairments aren't reflecting over future economics.
Non-cash impairments are literally to reflect future economics, but I do agree generally they dont result in layoffs, just more an indication future jobs wont be created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Hearing IPL and North River combining but that’s rumour
You didn't see the other big news from this evening?

Brookfield Infrastructure launches $5.7-billion hostile takeover bid for Inter Pipeline
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #258
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Non-cash impairments are literally to reflect future economics, but I do agree generally they dont result in layoffs, just more an indication future jobs wont be created.

You didn't see the other big news from this evening?

Brookfield Infrastructure launches $5.7-billion hostile takeover bid for Inter Pipeline
IPL rejected already.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:46 AM   #259
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Don't know where it belongs because its not relatable, but it is comparible. Bombardier lays off 1600 people this morning.

Just a lot of mass layoffs happening across the country.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #260
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Don't know where it belongs because its not relatable, but it is comparible. Bombardier lays off 1600 people this morning.

Just a lot of mass layoffs happening across the country.
To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a positive news article about Bombardier in the last 20 years. They just don't seem to be able to compete - the C-Series was the closest they got and they basically got bullied into giving everything to Airbus anyways.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote