Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #2221
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
70% of the people in line probably have flights departing before yours...

It would also be unlikely that you are the only one on your flight stuck in line...

Probably, but it's also a good idea to express to one of the airport staff your concern and they can either let you know that you're a) fine and nothing to worry about, or b) they'll let you go ahead if you're in danger of missing your boarding time.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #2222
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are already checked in, they will come looking for you.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #2223
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
70% of the people in line probably have flights departing before yours...

It would also be unlikely that you are the only one on your flight stuck in line...
I understand that. Been in line 1.5 hours now and still not through.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 01:49 PM   #2224
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I understand that. Been in line 1.5 hours now and still not through.
Just give up, you're not going to make it. Go home and think about what you've done.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #2225
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
If you are already checked in, they will come looking for you.
Not necessarily. I work at the airport and have seen multiple delays at security. Basically the coordinators will assess the flight situations and either hold the flights so that passengers who are stuck in security or on late connecting flights can make it or they send the flight on time so that it doesn't create additional downline delays and re-accommodate the passengers who missed the flight.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone going through the lines looking for specific passengers.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #2226
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

But sometimes a staff member will go around and ask if anybody has a flight leaving soon and they will start a new line for them.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #2227
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It was when international was in the old terminal but I’ve seen them ask if people were on certain flights and bump them to the front. Line was massive. Several hours long for sure.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #2228
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It was when international was in the old terminal but I’ve seen them ask if people were on certain flights and bump them to the front. Line was massive. Several hours long for sure.
This happened to me catching an Air Canada flight to Regina this summer. West Jet came and got customers, Air Canada never.

I did catch my flight but by the time I cleared security, they were already announcing my name and I was the last on the plane. As I was having my boarding pass checked before getting on the plane, I asked the Air Canada agent why they don't come and collect customers.

She rudely told me they aren't allowed to do that and just said "come earlier next time" even though I was there 2.5 hours ahead of my flight and it was just a domestic flight. However, my sister took that same flight to Regina the next day, same problems with security, and Air Canada came to get her....so I was told a lie.

Coming back from Regina was worse. I was there 1.5 hours early and when I went to drop off my luggage, they said, sorry, the gate has been closed? One of the agents tried to tell the other that I had checked in and paid for a seat but the other one was adamant that my luggage was not getting on that plane. Luckily, I was travelling with my family, one of whom was flying with West Jet and she got my luggage on her flight.

But it got even worse. As I was going through security, I was one who got called to the side for an extra security check so I chose that hand swab thing...which I failed!!! Apparently they thought I had been contact with some explosive...really, that is what they asked me.

So I had to do an extra security screening as did my backpack. Then when I get through security, there is a public announcement that my Air Canada flight will be delayed for an hour!!!

And they told me the gate was closed for my luggage? They knew that flight was late and were just being ornery.

Anyhow, I complained and I got a $200 credit for a future flight.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #2229
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada staff lying to passengers to get them to F off? Well I never heard of such a thing! Except for every interaction I have ever had with them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #2230
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update:

They delayed the flight 23 minutes (WestJet). I asked a bunch of people and they said unless an agent or a worker of the company comes looking for people you are SOL.

So my new flight time was 2:53.

I finally get through customs at 2:50 and I take off running for my gate. As I approach E85 the west jet gate people are hanging out. Im thinkonf #### im screwed. But they inform me im the last passenger... but they are still waiting on one pilot.

If one x-ray machine goes down and it causes that sort of backup you don’t deserve to me an airport.

I stand by my statement YYC is the worst airport I have ever been to.

Side note: props for the pilots for turning a 45 minute delay into a 20 minute delay by flying faster.

Last edited by Weitz; 11-07-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #2231
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Update:

They delayed the flight 23 minutes (WestJet). I asked a bunch of people and they said unless an agent or a worker of the company comes looking for people you are SOL.

I think my question would still be, why didn’t you try to talk to airport staff and let them know you were about to miss a flight? Talking to random people in line doesn’t seem productive.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #2232
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Update:

I stand by my statement YYC is the worst airport I have ever been to.

Then you haven't been to that many airports. Off the top of my head all these are worse:

Chicago
Toronto
Houston
Frankfurt
Mexico City (dear god that place is a mess)
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #2233
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Then you haven't been to that many airports. Off the top of my head all these are worse:

Chicago
Toronto
Houston
Frankfurt
Oh we are comparing our brand new $2 billion terminal to some of the oldest airports around?

Let's bring back call to gate while we're at it.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:59 AM   #2234
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Chicago
Toronto
Houston
Frankfurt

I don't think Toronto is really horrible, but it wouldn't kill them to install some air conditioning or dehumifiers.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #2235
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Chicago
Toronto
Houston
Frankfurt
Houston? What are the problems with Houston? I fly there a few times a year to visit a friend and have never had an issue. Sure the WestJet gate is in an old dumpy corner that needs an overhaul but I hang out in the Amex Centurion lounge and just show up at gate to board the flight. I wish the Centurion lounge was closer to the WestJet gate but I'm just happy to have that as an option.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #2236
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did LAX not make the list?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #2237
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Chicago
Toronto
Houston
Frankfurt
What are your issues with Frankfurt? Super efficient in comparison, you don't like walking from your flight to a high-speed train in the matter of minutes?

Further to this, I was once really late for a return flight to YYC, at the check-in ~30 minutes before departure, and I hadn't checked my bags yet. Both me and my bags made the flight, good luck with that in Calgary.

Last edited by Flacker; 11-08-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #2238
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How did LAX not make the list?
Agreed. Any bad airport list that misses LAX can't be right.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #2239
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I've been to Pearson many, many times - both on the domestic and international side. Outside of a long walk between two terminals (not much different than YYC), what makes it so bad? I'm usually in the doors, checked in, bags on the way, and through security in 5-10 minutes on most occasions.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #2240
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Houston? What are the problems with Houston? I fly there a few times a year to visit a friend and have never had an issue. Sure the WestJet gate is in an old dumpy corner that needs an overhaul but I hang out in the Amex Centurion lounge and just show up at gate to board the flight. I wish the Centurion lounge was closer to the WestJet gate but I'm just happy to have that as an option.

Houston is fine coming/going from Canada. Coming/going from anywhere south of the US line is an entirely different story.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc