Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #2241
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Is there a place that shows historical prices for flights? I'd like to plan a trip to Europe this summer but I just want to know what the ticket prices have been over the last year or so to certain places. I haven't done a search on Google or anything as I thought it might be better to get some links from a few experts.
^ Farecompare.com has some price charts.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #2242
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Does anyone know if there's a site that will allow me to search for fares and let me sort by aircraft?

For example, if I'm looking at going from Halifax to Paris, but I want to be on an A380, which means I want to sort so I'm not on an Air France A340, or a BA 777, or an AC767.

When I travel and get the chance to fly I like to fly on as many different types of aircraft as possible. A search like this would be cool (albeit for possibly me, and those that frequent the Aviation Appreciation Station thread)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #2243
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Does anyone know if there's a site that will allow me to search for fares and let me sort by aircraft?

For example, if I'm looking at going from Halifax to Paris, but I want to be on an A380, which means I want to sort so I'm not on an Air France A340, or a BA 777, or an AC767.

When I travel and get the chance to fly I like to fly on as many different types of aircraft as possible. A search like this would be cool (albeit for possibly me, and those that frequent the Aviation Appreciation Station thread)
Hmmmm, I know Kayak can filter by wide-body jet and narrow-body jet. You can see the specific aircraft when you click on details, but not filter by specific aircraft.

Best way might be to do a search and go through each airline and see what they commonly use on each route. Then whenever you search just filter it by the airlines that commonly use the aircraft you're looking for.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #2244
djwazzy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Don't know of a site that will do that, but specifically for the A380 you can see the routes that airlines are currently using that aircraft for. Could help you narrow down your search:

http://a380flights.net/
djwazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #2245
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary to Manchester, UK - $399 roundtrip after taxes!

I've seen some very cheap flights to Europe on Air Transat in my day, and you've probably seen that I choose to post when they really hit rock bottom, usually around $550-$650 roundtrip after taxes. But this one takes the cake.

Here's how to find it...

1. http://www.airtransat.ca/

2. Search for Calgary to Manchester, United Kingdom from February 3 to 18.

3. Hit 'Find Flights'

screenshot of verified price:

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #2246
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish this wasn't feb. I'd love to go to Manchester... ugh.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #2247
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post

I've seen some very cheap flights to Europe on Air Transat in my day, and you've probably seen that I choose to post when they really hit rock bottom, usually around $550-$650 roundtrip after taxes. But this one takes the cake.

Here's how to find it...

3. Hit 'Find Flights'

Crazy.

They have really good deals flying in and out of London as well.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #2248
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Crazy.

They have really good deals flying in and out of London as well.
Yep, Feb 1-15 is down to $448 roundtrip after taxes, from Calgary to London and back.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #2249
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dangit! Any other time but I have to be in vancouver for Davis Cup on the 9th 10th and 11th! Why can't one come back before then or leave after
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #2250
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Feb11th to 18th is also a reasonable price to Manchester, 589 dollars. Saves big on hotels + less vacation.

If I get my 400 dollar bonus at work today I will book it
Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #2251
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
Feb11th to 18th is also a reasonable price to Manchester, 589 dollars. Saves big on hotels + less vacation.

If I get my 400 dollar bonus at work today I will book it
Silly Honey Badger, we at CP call that a days worth of work on the old pay cheque.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #2252
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Silly Honey Badger, we at CP call that a days worth of work on the old pay cheque.
my tax bracket is so small in comparison to everyone elses
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #2253
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post

Here's how to find it...

3. Hit 'Find Flights'

Just as an update to this, it looks like Air Transat has added more dates, and cheap ones to London as well, for $399 roundtrip after taxes.

Try one of the following combos

London: Feb 1-18, Feb 4-15, Feb 4-18, Feb 8-15, Feb 8-18

Manchester: Feb 10-18

To put that in perspective, Feb 8 to 15 from Calgary to Vancouver and back on Westjet/Air Canada is a nearly identical price.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #2254
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I can already picture the comments for this one. Sunwing just dropped a last minute flight from Calgary to Mazatlan, Mexico down to $275 roundtrip after taxes. Try Feb 2-9 on their site.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #2255
ikaris
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any advice on a good deal for a five star all inclusive in Mexico/Cuba/anywhere else for the last week of Feb? Or later?
ikaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #2256
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaris View Post
Any advice on a good deal for a five star all inclusive in Mexico/Cuba/anywhere else for the last week of Feb? Or later?
So close to finishing something I've been working on to help with this.

Basically you just need to compare the world of prices from the Canadian tour operators, which are all sold by the likes of sites like RedTag, FlightCentre etc, against the world of prices from a site that mashes together flights on the major airlines with the hotels (Expedia, Bookit, Orbitz).

The problem most people run into is checking more sites than they need to. There's only so many products out there, and a whole lot of overlap. When it comes to all inclusives, there's only really two worlds of prices, even though all the travel brands out there would like you to think otherwise!

Old 01-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #2257
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any predictions if Air Transat will carry their cheap flights to London into March? Sadly February is too short of notice for work.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #2258
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Any predictions if Air Transat will carry their cheap flights to London into March? Sadly February is too short of notice for work.
Would love to be able to make such predictions with accuracy, but all I can give are the facts and let people draw their own conclusions:

1) Have never seen them drop a price to Europe this low before.

2) When they do drop them, it tends to be 2-6 weeks before departure, and they usually bottom out at $550-$650ish roundtrip after taxes.

3) This one seems to be a part of their '25th Anniversary' special. The base fare is $25.00, but they had to drop the taxes/fees lower than they ever do to get it down to $399.

4) Pretty common to see drops in the non-peak months, up to about third week of June.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:28 PM   #2259
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

cmyden needs a tip jar!
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #2260
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
cmyden needs a tip jar!
Batman says...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJS7NaktQ8g

That's the best tip you can give!