Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2022, 03:58 PM   #21
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada finally makes the WC again and its in this ####ing ####hole.

I’m genuinely torn over whether to watch.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2022, 04:09 PM   #22
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Dont be so sure. Europe pays big money for the World Cup rights. In 1994, the majority of the games were played in the scorching mid-afternoon heat to be primetime in europe
Was 1812 not enough? When will Europeans stop the oppression and pillaging of our North American continent?

We can't even host a WC without them getting their way.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:23 PM   #23
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Dont be so sure. Europe pays big money for the World Cup rights. In 1994, the majority of the games were played in the scorching mid-afternoon heat to be primetime in europe
My guess is you'll see something like 12:00 ET, 2:00 ET, 5:00 ET , and maybe 8 ET (for west coast games) as the time slots.

With European teams in the 12 and 2 windows as much as possible.

Here was the world cup 94 schedule with start times in PT: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...064-story.html

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 11-03-2022 at 04:30 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:22 PM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
My guess is you'll see something like 12:00 ET, 2:00 ET, 5:00 ET , and maybe 8 ET (for west coast games) as the time slots.

With European teams in the 12 and 2 windows as much as possible.

Here was the world cup 94 schedule with start times in PT: https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...064-story.html
I was lucky in Dallas I went to 3 matches at 6:30pm local. But the Brazil-Netherlands quarterfinal I was baking in the sun.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:23 PM   #25
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Was 1812 not enough? When will Europeans stop the oppression and pillaging of our North American continent?

We can't even host a WC without them getting their way.
Haha the 86 Mexico world cup was the same. Games in the heat and altitude.

Same with Brazil in 2014 but it's more East, only 4 hours behind Europe.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #26
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

As a big fan of oppression and slavery, I can't wait for the WC in Qatar. I hope we get some of those behind the scenes inspirational mini-docs narrated by Stephen Brunt that show all the biblical level slavery forced upon the migrant workers. I want some ramses and the hebrews in ancient egypt level stuff. If I don't see an old woman get mercilessly crushed by a rock while a Vincent Price looking master builder looks on with an evil smile on his face, I'll be supremely disappointed.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-03-2022 at 08:43 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 09:40 AM   #27
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would be considered a good showing for les rouge? a goal? a win? advancement?
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:53 AM   #28
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I can't see them getting out of the group. I think they lose to Belgium and lose to Croatia. They might get something from Morocco (and I also think they could lose that one too), but at that point I think Belgium and Croatia will have already qualified.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:58 AM   #29
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd say that my expectations for this are low. I'd like a win, but a goal is good. Any point is a positive. Mostly I'd say keeping games within a goal would be the best for a good showing
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #30
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd consider even getting a point at this tournament a success. Get the experience in against the real heavyweights and prepare for 2026.

shermanator is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 04:13 PM   #31
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I just want a goal. Hopefully when it still feels meaningful, not after being down 4-0 or something.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #32
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they can get a win out of Morocco, maybe scrape a draw out of Croatia?

And just try to keep from getting blown away by Belgium. Maybe snag 4 points and try and move along as a 3rd?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 04:40 PM   #33
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Canada did just fine vs. #13 Mexico and #16 USA.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:08 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Canada did just fine vs. #13 Mexico and #16 USA.
Belgium and Croatia are very different teams than that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real question is: Does the whole group take 3 off of Morocco or does that ignominy belong to us?

Because barring something insane, Belgium and Croatia are going through, their order is up for debate, but I dont see either team not making it.

We've got to take 3 off Morocco and try and grease another point somewhere and get in that 3rd spot.

Old 11-04-2022, 09:24 PM   #36
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The real question is: Does the whole group take 3 off of Morocco or does that ignominy belong to us?
We could get blown out every game and there still wouldn't be any ignominy. Look at some of the teams that didn't even make it. Italy!? Columbia!? Sweden!? Chile!? I think they've earned the real ignominy here.

Quote:
Because barring something insane, Belgium and Croatia are going through, their order is up for debate, but I dont see either team not making it.
Belgium I don't see crapping the bed, but Croatia (imo) vastly overachieved getting to the finals last time and will be facing/feeling crazy expectations.

Quote:
We've got to take 3 off Morocco and try and grease another point somewhere and get in that 3rd spot.
Seeing as the Canadians are totally unknown on the international stage I can see the element of surprise playing into things. Being underestimated/taken lightly will certainly be a factor, and I think the quality of the team is better than most people think. Momentum and emotion are huge things, and the Canadians are literally riding historic momentum for our country heading into this.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:12 PM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Belgium I don't see crapping the bed, but Croatia (imo) vastly overachieved getting to the finals last time and will be facing/feeling crazy expectations.
I personally dont feel that Croatia over-achieved. If anything, they've always been a really good side thats never really put it all together.

My biggest concern with Croatia at the moment is that they are old. Now, sometimes that can mean that they'll fall flat on their faces, hence why I think Canada may be able to nick a point off of them.

But they're my wildcard. That is a group that just got their first real taste of success but they're also at the tail-end of their current group.

Thats the problem. Being where they are could be a recipe for disaster with so many ageing players having their last kick at the can or....they could galvanize as a group and really go on a tear.

They're my dark horse.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:42 AM   #38
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The goal is a goal, ideally in all games but let’s start with one.

No way Canada surprises anyone in this age of video of all games in the past 2-3 years. Teams will break down our weak points, and exploit.

Midfield (wide, not the middle) and up front they are dynamic and quick and can create chances and that is the only hope for a draw, at best.

These opponents will quite likely take a look at video and focus on breaking down he critical points of our average (at very best) back end. Watch back even the games in Edmonton this time last year and Canada was lucky to pull out the wins there; some heroics by Borjan saved the day, but there were more than a few situations of fire drills the back.

Canada will not be great by having to adapt from changing tactics playing from behind, and I don’t think came back from any deficit in qualifying to win a game…so hold the line early and hope for a break.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #39
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/emilyhewertson/s...uWDUr07kC6rlXA
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 11:16 AM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Neville is just an idiot, I really hope after his 'Qatari Hypocrisy' people just stop listening to him entirely.

His opinion is for sale to the highest bidder, and ergo worthless.

"Look at those wonderful Qataris" Neville says as he shovels their cash into his pockets.