Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #1
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 2022 Toronto Blue Jays Off-season Thread

It may be early for this but I'm curious what others think the changes should be.

To me, the tough part is the dead salary that's tied up in Ryu and Kukuchi, and to some degree Berrios. How Rogers handles that with a disappointing year, rising inflation, and higher costs of borrowing, I'd have to think additional salary won't be allowed to be added. So that leaves deals to be made.

I think they should explore a 6 man rotation. Berrios will probably come back fine, but our starting is a real question now. Manoah, Gausman, Berrios, Tiedemann, ????, ????. I really think we have to sell high on Teoscar or Guerriel or both. Merryfield/JBJ/Moreno I don't mind playing OF, but the pitching has to change and we need guys who can go much longer. I'm proposing a 6 man rotation simply because I'd want guys who can go longer and you can maybe get away with having less depth and people in the bullpen. One of Tapia or Biggio can also go for some bullpen help, but we need another fireball strikeout guy there. This team isn't too far though.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's not about number of days rest, you could have an 8 man rotation. It's about facing a batter for the 3rd time that has managers spooked.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 07:57 PM   #3
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think Schneider should have a long conversation with himself and ask why he is pulling his stud starter who is making 100 million plus to go for a lefty lefty match up up 7 with 2 outs. That was the call that lost him the game.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 08:07 PM   #4
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Look at all of the players on the roster and figure out their strengths and weaknesses. If their weaknesses did more harm to the team this season that their strengths couldn't overcome try and move them for players that are a better fit.

- Don't committ to Schneider until you see what else is out there. Move him back to bench coach if you can find someone better. I wouldn't mind if they brought in a new hitting coach either who could try and get these guys to break their habit of swinging at terrible pitches because they want to hit a home run so bad.

- Get another legit starter or two and fix the bullpen.

Last edited by Inferno; 10-08-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 08:15 PM   #5
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I think Schneider should have a long conversation with himself and ask why he is pulling his stud starter who is making 100 million plus to go for a lefty lefty match up up 7 with 2 outs. That was the call that lost him the game.
And he really should have expected Santana to switch to his right where his numbers are better. So the lefty lefty matchuo didn't even happen!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #6
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope they also get rid of that stupid HR blazer. Just do the regular slaps on the butt or whatever and move on. That blazer has worn out it's welcome.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:21 PM   #7
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I really hope they also get rid of that stupid HR blazer. Just do the regular slaps on the butt or whatever and move on. That blazer has worn out it's welcome.
Every team has something now. If it's not the blazer, it'd be something else. It's nothing. It has zero to do with team success.

You know what does have something to do with team success? Discipline. Plate discipline. Discipline to hustle on every play. Discipline to be in the bet shape for the season.

To me, the biggest factor in the quick exit was discipline. That and ####ty pitching. But yeah...discipline.

Okay, so they need at least two more starters at the back end who can reliably make starts and some quality middle relievers. Go get that and come back and talk to me.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:23 PM   #8
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd consider moving Vlad. I don't think he's going to be able to fix his launch angle issues.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:41 PM   #9
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha

I really doubt they will make any big changes

They've got pretty much the entire roster set to return except for Stripling, Phelps and JBJ

And it was a 92 win team with underperformances from Vladdy and Berrios, plus they didn't really have anybody put up a career year save for Manoah I guess.

They'll probably just tinker around the edges mostly, unless they can add a big fish free agent. But I wouldn't expect any core altering trades.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #10
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post
I'd consider moving Vlad. I don't think he's going to be able to fix his launch angle issues.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 08:44 PM   #11
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Haha

I really doubt they will make any big changes

They've got pretty much the entire roster set to return except for Stripling, Phelps and JBJ

And it was a 92 win team with underperformances from Vladdy and Berrios, plus they didn't really have anybody put up a career year save for Manoah I guess.

They'll probably just tinker around the edges mostly, unless they can add a big fish free agent. But I wouldn't expect any core altering trades.
I think this is more of the "normal" Vlad than we want to admit
Old 10-08-2022, 08:47 PM   #12
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Could be.

If he's a ~3 fWAR player going forward it'll be disappointing but I could definitely see it.
Old 10-08-2022, 09:25 PM   #13
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
A 132 OPS+ 23 year old with 104 career home runs already with multiple years of control? Seems ok to me. Probably shouldn't trade those guys.

Adley Rutschman has worse numbers, is older than Vlad, and is going to win AL ROY.

I'll take my chances with Vlad Jr.

OPS+ leaders in the MLB younger than Vlad - Julio Rodriguez - end of list.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 10-08-2022 at 09:32 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 09:44 PM   #14
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
- Look at all of the players on the roster and figure out their strengths and weaknesses. If their weaknesses did more harm to the team this season that their strengths couldn't overcome try and move them for players that are a better fit.

- Don't committ to Schneider until you see what else is out there. Move him back to bench coach if you can find someone better. I wouldn't mind if they brought in a new hitting coach either who could try and get these guys to break their habit of swinging at terrible pitches because they want to hit a home run so bad.

- Get another legit starter or two and fix the bullpen.
Merriweather came in and did a great job. There are good players out there if they find the right situation. JBJ as well. I think they need a bit more depth.

Pitching you hope Ryu comes back.

Schendier got them to the playoffs where Charlie wouldnt. I don't out full blame or even a lot of blame on JS for the Gausman decision, they still had a 3 run lead and scored the next inning.

But yes, if this team has a window, it is now and you go for the vet manager to play playoff baseball, and that manager will have types of players that he wants that may not be in this team right now.

Scheidner deserves to stay on, no question, as bench coach. But Shapkins have to be decisive, they almost blew it this year by extending Charlie last offseason and can't do the same this offseason by commiting to a playoff inexperienced manager to let him go in July next year, again.

Last edited by browna; 10-08-2022 at 09:46 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:44 PM   #15
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Kikuchi.

He actually looks like he could be a pretty strong swing and miss reliever, but will they want to keep him in the pen when they're paying him that much money? Or will they give him another crack at starting?
Old 10-08-2022, 09:57 PM   #16
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

C - Jansen
1B - Vlad
2B - Merrifield
3B - Chapman
SS - Bo
LF - Gurriel
CF - Springer
RF - Teo
DH - Kirk

#1 AL offense will have Merrifield for the whole year

UT - Espinal
UT - Biggio
OF - Tapia
OF - Zimmer

Guys like Lopez and Moreno hopefully push Zimmer and Tapia out.

SP - Manoah
SP - Gausman
SP - Berrios
SP - Kikuchi
SP - White

Starting pitching is certainly a concern. Nobody ready to graduate yet, but hopefully guys like Zulueta and Tiedemann are in AAA making a push so the depth is better. Hopefully the Jays can bring in a solid starter via free agency though. Maybe even bring Stripling back.

CP - Romano
SU - Bass
SU - Garcia
RP - Mayza
RP - Cimber
RP - Pop
RP - Richards
RP - Merryweather
RP - Pearson

I also wonder if they try to stretch Pearson out again, or maybe that ship has sailed?
BP should be better than last season right from the start (at least on paper), and deeper with some young arms also in the fold like Yosver Zulueta, Adrian Hernandez, Hayden Jeunger right there pushing for a job.

I wouldn't be upset if they bring Phelps back as well, to fight for a spot in camp.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:24 PM   #17
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
A 132 OPS+ 23 year old with 104 career home runs already with multiple years of control? Seems ok to me. Probably shouldn't trade those guys.

Adley Rutschman has worse numbers, is older than Vlad, and is going to win AL ROY.

I'll take my chances with Vlad Jr.

OPS+ leaders in the MLB younger than Vlad - Julio Rodriguez - end of list.
Every player has an opportunity where you can sell high if you want to.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:44 AM   #18
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

You prioritize the hell out of the bullpen. That much is obvious.

Schneider I’d welcome back as manager.

The leadership group needs to step up. Vladdy & Bo has been feeling (to me) like Gaudreau and Tkachuck for the past couple of years. I don’t know if they are serious enough about winning or even know how to be serious enough.

I believe they want to win, but not sure they have what it takes to reach the next level
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #19
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Every player has an opportunity where you can sell high if you want to.
But why would you want to do that when said player has years of control and your team is right within its competitive window?
Old 10-09-2022, 10:08 AM   #20
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays need to trade Teoscar, and acquire a higher end left hand outfielder. (their lineup has issues, with way to many right hand hitters)

Zimmer should be DFA, keep Bradley as the extra outfielder

Jansen is another, who should be traded in the off season.... He had a solid year (could get solid return)

Rookie Catcher should start the year with the Jays

Jays need to acquire another top starter,

However they will need to make tough decisions on a Kikuchi (he should be DFA)

Can they trade Berrios

Can they resign Stripling?
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote