Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 06:34 AM   #3521
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Guys like Harbaugh just love getting their egos stroked. Maybe it's a ploy to keep getting the university to ante up for him but either he wants to go back to the NFL or he doesn't.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:27 AM   #3522
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Is it bigger now than before? Or is it just teams not being patient? Are there more QB busts now than before?

Using Aikman above as an example, he was a first overall pick thrown into a Dallas team that went 1-15, and at one point lost 14 straight home games, and didn't even have their first overall pick the next year!
I think there are more "busts" because teams are picking them in the first round instead of the second, third, and fourth rounds where they belong. I always scratch my head when five QB's get taken in the first round -- there is zero percent chance they will all hit, yet teams still pick them in hopes of landing their QB1 for the next decade.

I also think that the NCAA doesn't produce as many NFL-calibre QB's as before. Although it can be argued that the NFL is becoming more of a spread, pass-first league, you need QB's that can be accurate and make good reads, instead of throwing the ball to wide open receivers on every play in college and then showing off their "arm talent" on Pro Day wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 09:50 AM   #3523
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being reported the Chargers fired OC Joe Lombardi, and seems to imply Staley will be staying on as head coach. Interesting, that's one less team in the Payton Sweepstakes (and probably the odds on favourite).
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:00 AM   #3524
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Being reported the Chargers fired OC Joe Lombardi, and seems to imply Staley will be staying on as head coach. Interesting, that's one less team in the Payton Sweepstakes (and probably the odds on favourite).
Fantastic news!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 03:24 PM   #3525
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ve-coordinator

I'm kind of surprised Matt Canada is returning as OC for the Steelers.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:27 PM   #3526
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ve-coordinator

I'm kind of surprised Matt Canada is returning as OC for the Steelers.
Devo must be thrilled.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:48 AM   #3527
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

haha yeah. All the signs pointed this way the last few days, so it didn't come as a huge surprise anymore ... but still a gut punch. I don't know what you have to do to get fired as a Steelers coordinator, because being incompetent and incapable is apparently not enough. Having such a young offense, I think it's irresponsible to waste another year like that, but at least they can pat themselves on the shoulders for being oh so different than the rest of the league because they don't fire coordinators (I think they fired a total of one in 20 years or so).
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:07 AM   #3528
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ravens have fired Greg Roman.

As a Raven fan, while his run game packages and pre snap movements were amazing years ago, the rest of the NFL caught up and now he runs a dinosaur offense.

Had to happen.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:27 AM   #3529
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Byron Leftwhich has been fired as well.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:46 AM   #3530
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Byron Leftwhich has been fired as well.
How does Bowles survive?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 05:40 PM   #3531
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many in Chicago have still been holding onto the hope that the Bears and the city would work out something to keep the Bears at Soldier Field. Today should kill that notion as new Chicago Bears president and CEO Kevin Warren was introduced and spoke with the media.
The Bears have an option to purchase 300 acres in Arlington Heights, a suburb northwest of Chicago. and intend to build a new stadium there, on the former Arlington Heights horse racing track area. When asked if the new stadium in AH was the only stadium plan, Warren said

Quote:
“YES, THAT’S THE SOLE FOCUS RIGHT NOW,” HE SAID. “100%.”

He was asked to elaborate on what makes the project so appealing. He had an answer ready, stating Arlington isn’t what many would consider the typical site for a stadium for one key reason. It’s better.

“YOU DON’T GET MANY TIMES TO HAVE OVER 300 ACRES CLOSE TO THE CITY,” WARREN SAID. “SO THERE ARE SOME UNIQUE ASPECTS. I KNOW OUR FOCUS WILL BE MAKING SURE THAT WE CLOSE ON THE LAND. WE WILL BE VERY METHODICAL TO MAKE SURE THAT WE GET THAT PROCESS DONE FIRST AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. BUT IT IS A VERY ATTRACTIVE, UNIQUE STADIUM SITE.”
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicag...soldier-field/

Arlington Heights location is ~20 minutes from my house. Soldier Field is a nightmare to get to from anywhere in NW Chicagoland.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:34 AM   #3532
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't the city still owe over $500 million for the last renovations to Soldier Field?
Old 01-20-2023, 10:04 AM   #3533
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh...just no to suburban/out of town stadiums.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:10 AM   #3534
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

20 years out from a $630 million renovation ($430 of City money) and they are looking for a new stadium. That said, I didn't realize Soldier Field has the smallest seating capacity in the NFL at 61 500.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:34 AM   #3535
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
20 years out from a $630 million renovation ($430 of City money) and they are looking for a new stadium. That said, I didn't realize Soldier Field has the smallest seating capacity in the NFL at 61 500.
Quote:
Doesn't the city still owe over $500 million for the last renovations to Soldier Field?
The Bears and Chicago Park District have a lease until 2033 but the Bears can break that lease as early as 2026 at a cost of $84M, but the taxpayers of Chicago are still on the hook for $640M (allegedly) which includes more than $250M in interest.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/investiga...ation/2981068/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Ugh...just no to suburban/out of town stadiums.
Yes it would be essentially the same distance out of DTC as Gillette stadium is from Boston. I have been to Gillette stadium - I never felt I was anywhere near Boston.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 11:48 AM   #3536
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1617868283134509057

BOB is back. On the bright side, at least the Patriots won’t have a DC calling offensive plays.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #3537
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1618685208181751808
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:43 PM   #3538
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Jets hire former Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett as new OC

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...hackett-new-oc

This guy must give one hell of an interview. He never called plays in Green Bay and once he got to run his own offense we saw what transpired in Denver. Maybe he will be better in NY but this feels like a very NY Jets type of move.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:56 PM   #3539
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...hackett-new-oc

This guy must give one hell of an interview. He never called plays in Green Bay and once he got to run his own offense we saw what transpired in Denver. Maybe he will be better in NY but this feels like a very NY Jets type of move.
Probably a favour to Lafluer after he punted his brother in the same role.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:25 PM   #3540
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I feared, it's starting to sound more and more like Sean Payton will return to TV. Reports of an "issue" between him and Broncos ownership stemming from his interview seems to have surfaced.

Reportedly Payton is concerned about a possible power struggle between himself and ownership, which goes back to what I was saying earlier about him being a bit of a control freak. Stories emerging from New Orleans post departure about the sheer amount of power he had within the Saints organization were fairly eye-opening, and it's also why I don't think he'd work well in Dallas with his good friend Jerry Jones, who has a similar sized ego and need for control.

That said, perhaps new Denver ownership are being rather heavy-handed themselves, but either way it seems like this isn't going to happen. Carolina is also out of the mix now for Payton.
https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/t...source=twitter

Last edited by Sainters7; 01-26-2023 at 01:31 PM.

Tags
football , gambling , red zone