Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2023, 02:26 PM   #9521
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I used to think Puljujarvi would be a decent pickup. But he’s just a bad player. JVR has twice as many points in less games and he’s an old man. If you are picking up a historically underachieving guy I’d go for Athanasiou maybe. He’s at least going to add to team speed.
People really need to forget where he was drafted and look at the player for what he is which is a bottom 6 player with very average skills.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 02:36 PM   #9522
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Athanasiou does tick a lot of boxes. Can he play RW?
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:59 PM   #9523
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This writer believes that the Canucks are going to trade Garland soon, and that they will likely retain salary and take back a 2nd rounder.

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks...chenn-garland/

I'm not sold on being buyers, but I am resigned to it happening as it just seems to be the way. But if we were going to buy a winger, a 2nd rounder for Garland with salary retained wouldn't be bad. I think he would actually do well on a Sutter team as he is fast, likes to shoot, and doesn't mind going to the net.

I guess it depends on how much salary they retained.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:14 PM   #9524
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garland is pretty much a Mangiapane, a small forward with a lot of grit and gets in the dirty areas. He’s more of a passer while Mangiapane is a shooter. I watched him more in Arizona when he was a forward they heavily relied on, but I can’t say much about the Garland in Vancouver.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:17 PM   #9525
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Garland is pretty much a Mangiapane, a small forward with a lot of grit and gets in the dirty areas. He’s more of a passer while Mangiapane is a shooter. I watched him more in Arizona when he was a forward they heavily relied on, but I can’t say much about the Garland in Vancouver.
I thought Garland would be their best pickup. It seems like he lost favour there and got shuffled through the lineup a lot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:46 PM   #9526
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I used to think Puljujarvi would be a decent pickup. But he’s just a bad player. JVR has twice as many points in less games and he’s an old man. If you are picking up a historically underachieving guy I’d go for Athanasiou maybe. He’s at least going to add to team speed.
Crazy how far Poolparty fell. They wrecked him. Guy has no confidence. To go from a player who was top 10 all time in scoring in men's Liiga amongst U18 players to this is bad development work.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:58 PM   #9527
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Does Garland typically have strong defensive/possession/advanced metrics?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 05:44 PM   #9528
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garland would be interesting with some retainment
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 05:45 PM   #9529
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Does Garland typically have strong defensive/possession/advanced metrics?
I know some people like to use JFresh cards to show different metrics. I don't know how useful the information is personally as I am not that much into advanced stats. Keep in mind that this card was from July 2021, so it doesn't include last season which was statistically really good, or this current season.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420058652724051970
Old 02-04-2023, 06:44 PM   #9530
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate the phrase "would do well on a Sutter team because he can shoot well, pass well, and is fast..."

Sutter coached teams are not high scoring or even fast paced teams. At least this year it seems like he is not utilizing offensive players well at all, they aren't fast, and there is almost 0 offensive creativity. He's overpl playing bottom 6 players, so maybe a guy like Wayne Simmonds would do well on a Sutter coached team because he'd get more ice time and probably play with our best players.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:03 PM   #9531
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I hate the phrase "would do well on a Sutter team because he can shoot well, pass well, and is fast..."

Sutter coached teams are not high scoring or even fast paced teams. At least this year it seems like he is not utilizing offensive players well at all, they aren't fast, and there is almost 0 offensive creativity. He's overpl playing bottom 6 players, so maybe a guy like Wayne Simmonds would do well on a Sutter coached team because he'd get more ice time and probably play with our best players.
You’re right, Sutter hates when players score goals, complete passes, and can skate hard. Excellent read on his preferences.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 08:07 PM   #9532
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post

I think it’s been a tale of two very different teams. Last year we seemed to play a very high-paced style, with quick transition that really tilted the ice in our favour. This year, we seem like we are sitting back more, letting the play come to us. Obviously, our zone entry is a problem too. Huby said that we play slow hockey here, as opposed to Florida- I don’t think he would have said that last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2023, 11:13 PM   #9533
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Even last year that style only worked with the top line. The other three lines were under water 5-5.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:20 PM   #9534
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Even last year that style only worked with the top line. The other three lines were under water 5-5.
I don’t think the stats back that up and memory doesn’t either.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:14 AM   #9535
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't we one of the best 5 on 5 teams last year? Fancy stats wise, at least?

Last year our defensive game was keeping the puck in our opponents' end the whole game.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:31 AM   #9536
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
The other three lines were under water 5-5.
Compared to the 1st line they might have seemed that way. That's because the 1st line was setting +/- records. Line 2 and 3 were doing just fine.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:55 AM   #9537
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year we had 2 of the top 10 players in a contract year, they made everyone around them better. Last year doesn't really matter though, at all.

As for Sutter hates when players skate hard, make good passes, or score; I think he might because when you look at player usage on this team, it seems that way sometimes. Look at the 5v5 ice time of players on this team, wtf is going on with that?
Old 02-05-2023, 09:10 AM   #9538
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

It is more about what Sutter has to coach with than his coaching abilities. Markstrom is not as good as he was last year. The defense is without Gudbranson,OK and a unhealthy Tanev. Plus Weegar has taken a while for chemistry. The bottom two pairs have been shuffled all year. The two players that carried the team in regulation last year are gone and one of the guys replacing them has been a non factor.Not a recipe for success.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:17 AM   #9539
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon54

Sutter didn't forget how to coach. We should focus on the management team and the job they are doing managing this team and not the coaching. I think Sutter has a more proven record than Tre and I will trust Sutter before this management team. There inability to get this team to the next level. To find the right pieces and to be able to build a winner is the big ? I think Conroy is just a yes man.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2023, 09:22 AM   #9540
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Reading that Sutter spent the all star break watching the Wranglers I hope that the Flames stand pat at the deadline and as injuries happen the holes are replaced from the organizational depth. I believe the best version of the Flames this post season will be Vladar in net and a couple call ups. The hungry youth complimenting wiley vets is the special sauce this year.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post: