Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2023, 10:05 AM   #9441
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
You can justify why for sure

But he will be judged by the end results. Right now it’s not looking good for him unless Huberdeau turns around quickly.
Right now, Huby is performing to his contract. It will only look bad starting next year - I don't think he needs to turn it around as quickly as you think. If it wasn't for his slow start he's probably close to ppg this year. Regardless of how it pans out, I don't think it reflects poorly on Tre at all. Any player can drop off at any time and no one knows when that will happen. Based on the information Tre or anyone had signing HUberdeau to that contract was a no brainer.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 10:21 AM   #9442
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I think Huberdeau will eventually find his groove here. He's a true talent, he's not comparable to Josh Anderson or James Neal. He's too talented not to IMO.
I think anyone who thinks there's more to Huberdeau than what we've seen is dreaming.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:27 AM   #9443
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
I think anyone who thinks there's more to Huberdeau than what we've seen is dreaming.
I’m not the biggest Huberdeau fan but I think he’ll end up between his last 4 seasons and this one next year. It’s not like he had one flash in the pan season. I’m hoping for 80pts or so for the first 4 years of his contract
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:34 AM   #9444
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I read an interesting article last night about the Minny Wild. They have almost 13 million in dead cap space this year, going up to 14.7 million the next 2 years from buying out Parise and Suter. It would seem that despite their current position in the standings, they would still be open to move out some money if the offer came along. I would think that Kaprizov, Addison, Boldy, Eriksson-Ek, and maybe Brodin would be off the table, but the article said they might want to shed Dumba (pending UFA, guess they want some assets), Greenway, Steel, and Goligoski.

Dumba has been linked to the Flames for years. I still like him as a player, and I think he would flourish here, but he's a pending UFA, so he would be a rental.

Hartman has one more year after this one, with a cap-hit of only 1.7m, so they probably want to keep him, but he would be great for us- plays RW, has offensive skill, and he's gritty as hell.

The name I'm a bit intrigued by is Greenway. The reason he's on the list is because his season has been dismal to say the least-only 6 points in 31 games. He's huge (6'6" 235lbs), can play both wings, skates well, and plays a physical brand of hockey. His defensive play has really picked up in recent years as well. He has a cap-hit of 3 mil for 2 years after this one.
Not that anyone would invite the transition now, but I had a flashback to Dumba's Red Deer Rebels days and before his draft eligible season, they would often bump him up to play RW.

Nonetheless, also a big Dumba fan and think he could excel here - cap hit might be challenging of course.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:57 AM   #9445
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Right now, Huby is performing to his contract. It will only look bad starting next year - I don't think he needs to turn it around as quickly as you think. If it wasn't for his slow start he's probably close to ppg this year. Regardless of how it pans out, I don't think it reflects poorly on Tre at all. Any player can drop off at any time and no one knows when that will happen. Based on the information Tre or anyone had signing HUberdeau to that contract was a no brainer.
If he doesn’t turn it around and they missed the playoffs, there will be a lot of pressure on him next year

He will be 30 to start that 8 yrs contract. It has a good chance of becoming a disaster and Treliving will for sure be remembered for it.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 11:08 AM   #9446
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
If he doesn’t turn it around and they missed the playoffs, there will be a lot of pressure on him next year

He will be 30 to start that 8 yrs contract. It has a good chance of becoming a disaster and Treliving will for sure be remembered for it.
He is adapting to a new system, the coach isn't running the PP through him and he has Lucic on his line.

How many points do you expect of him?

If the PP was running through him I might be more critical but in all honesty his lack of production is more a product of his usage vs his capabilities.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 11:18 AM   #9447
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
He is adapting to a new system, the coach isn't running the PP through him and he has Lucic on his line.

How many points do you expect of him?

If the PP was running through him I might be more critical but in all honesty his lack of production is more a product of his usage vs his capabilities.
Kirk Muller runs the PP. It stinks and he hasn't changed things up which is really annoying.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:28 AM   #9448
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think someone who posts something like that only watches flames games and has really no clue about players outside the organization.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 11:42 AM   #9449
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Tell me we're seeing full Huberdeau after watching last year's highlights.

cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 11:48 AM   #9450
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post

more of goal #4 please
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:48 AM   #9451
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Last year I watched a lot of Panthers games cause they would be so exciting to watch. Huberdeau is an elite player when he is on.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:55 AM   #9452
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Eichel also took about a year to get comfortable in Vegas. Some players take time and Huberdeau doesn't play lazy out there, so I remain optimistic. Huberdeau's just struggling to both generate and stay defensively responsible at the same time. He thrives on fast transition and players crushing the net, which we haven't been doing enough of this season.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 11:58 AM   #9453
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Eichel also took about a year to get comfortable in Vegas. Some players take time and Huberdeau doesn't play lazy out there, so I remain optimistic. Huberdeau's just struggling to both generate and stay defensively responsible at the same time. He thrives on fast transition and players crushing the net, which we haven't been doing enough of this season.
Eichel got so comfortable that he's taking nights off when he plays. Came back from injury scored 3 points, figured it was going to be easy and has had 2 points in the next 10 games and has come under fire from management and/or ownership for not giving enough.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:00 PM   #9454
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I think someone who posts something like that only watches flames games and has really no clue about players outside the organization.
Personally, I don't care what you think.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:02 PM   #9455
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah yes, the sign of someone who doesn't care is someone who quotes someone to tell them they don't care.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 12:22 PM   #9456
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We are 50 games into our season and Jonathan Huberdeau and Elias Lindholm sit 162nd, and 163rd respectively in five on five ice time among forwards in the NHL. That's' low end 2nd line / borderline 3rd line level - and we wonder why our ability to finish is terrible. That's what happens when Blake Coleman and Dillon Dube play more than your best players, and you have the likes of Milan Lucic averaging within a minute per night as these guys.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 12:32 PM   #9457
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He wouldn't be the first player in history to see a significant drop in production at his age. He is at the tail end of when players normally peak.

His 115 points last season was a bit of an outlier for him. It was never realistic to expect a repeat of that, especially when he is in is 29-30 year old season.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:41 PM   #9458
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I know there are ppl who speculated about Jake McCabe maybe being a fit in Calgary — per Frank's latest trade targets article, McCabe has every Canadian team except Toronto on his NTC.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 12:44 PM   #9459
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, I don't care what you think.
Why post then?
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:47 PM   #9460
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Why post then?
Because he cares that you think he doesn’t care what you think, or… wait…
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: