Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2023, 09:19 AM   #9201
FleeceGang
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
The problem with trading top-4 D like Hanifin is that there's no Phillips/Pelletier types on D in the AHL waiting for a chance to replace them.

With no Hanifin, it's 3 of Stone, DeSimone, Mackey, Gilbert, and one of them is playing top-4.

Does Kuznetsov still project to be an NHLer? 5 or 6 at the NHL level?
What about Kylington? If he is back full time next season slotting him into the top 4 would be a better option than the alternatives you mentioned.
FleeceGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:53 AM   #9202
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
There are lots of reports out there that they have turned down a first with no retention so it's tough to say.
A lot of these "reports" are market maker types with ties back to the seller. I'll believe it when I see it.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:56 AM   #9203
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
The problem with trading top-4 D like Hanifin is that there's no Phillips/Pelletier types on D in the AHL waiting for a chance to replace them.

With no Hanifin, it's 3 of Stone, DeSimone, Mackey, Gilbert, and one of them is playing top-4.

Does Kuznetsov still project to be an NHLer? 5 or 6 at the NHL level?
Kuznetsov is a defence first d-man and is still a few years out from fighting for a roster spot. Defence first defenders usually take a bit longer to develop than offensive defenders.

With how shakey the defence has been this year I have zero interest in trading Hanifin.
Flames1217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:16 AM   #9204
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I read that and think he's adding.
He'll add someone who will stay with the team though, not a rental.
He typically only adds key players mid season if they're signed past this season. The rest are just depth rentals.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:43 AM   #9205
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon54

I want to see a shakeup move. Definitely not a rental. Someone like Greenway,Bertuzzi,Duclair if fully recovered, or a Konecny type. Has to be able to bring speed.Someone you bring we be part of the future and you figure it out in the off-season as how to get cap compliant. The makeup of this team needs to change. Nothing to drastic but if you can bring in the right piece and some young guys can stick you change the look of the team.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:04 PM   #9206
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
I want to see a shakeup move. Definitely not a rental. Someone like Greenway,Bertuzzi,Duclair if fully recovered, or a Konecny type. Has to be able to bring speed.Someone you bring we be part of the future and you figure it out in the off-season as how to get cap compliant. The makeup of this team needs to change. Nothing to drastic but if you can bring in the right piece and some young guys can stick you change the look of the team.
Would have to have Coleman or Mangiapane going the other way then I think. Not sure the Flames can afford to trade a dman
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:12 PM   #9207
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder what a guy like Barbashev would cost? Pending UFA, salary isn't ridiculous, grew up with Zadorov. Still on the younger side, plays a two way game, skates well, can score, good size, can play all forward positions. He's having a down year on his contract year so the cost shouldn't be debilitating.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 12:20 PM   #9208
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
wranglers

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I wonder what a guy like Barbashev would cost? Pending UFA, salary isn't ridiculous, grew up with Zadorov. Still on the younger side, plays a two way game, skates well, can score, good size, can play all forward positions. He's having a down year on his contract year so the cost shouldn't be debilitating.
He could be an interesting add.They need to bring in someone who is part of the future. No filler players. No rentals. That does not work. They have guys on the farm that could do just as much but the coaches like veterans because they know what they can do but the young guys are more unknown even though they can probably do it better. We need to keep our draft capital. No more carpenter type acquisitions.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:28 PM   #9209
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I don't know that he's having a down year. Last year seems to be the outlier, when his production jumped. This year, his production is more similar to what he's traditionally been. Well a little better. But I don't think he's the 26-34 guy we saw last year.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 01:05 PM   #9210
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just do not believe that Montreal "turned down a 1st for Anderson" without context. Maybe in 2020. Sounds to me like insider leaking misleading info as a favor to a friendly GM to raise the price.

A sub 0.5 PPG winger making 5.5 million until 26-27 season. While Montreal itself is a rebuilding team. This season we've seen the prices of wingers plummet on the trade market, for example Pacioretty was given away for free just for cap relief. So does this sound plausible to anyone? Perhaps the report was jumbled in translation, and Montreal didn't agree to give up their 1st to unload that contract.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 01:10 PM   #9211
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

EF said they had been offered a first this season and multiple teams want the guy. Just reporting what was said
Old 01-30-2023, 02:12 PM   #9212
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That seems insane to me. I have no understanding of why this player keeps being held up so high by managers across the NHL. He gets hurt all the time and puts up okay numbers when he's not.

He keeps being touted as some potential star forward, yet he's 28 years old now. His best season was was five years ago with 47 points and +25, that's pretty good. Since then he's put up 4, 24, 32 points, where his plus/minus was -8, -10, -25.

This year he's got 17 points in 43 games and is -13.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 02:26 PM   #9213
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

For all the talk about us needing a forward, I'd bet if we do any big game hunting this deadline and actually acquire someone it's going to be Jacob Chychrun.

He'll step right into PP1.

Hanifin - Andersson
Chychrun - Weegar
Zadarov - Tanev
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:30 PM   #9214
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
For all the talk about us needing a forward, I'd bet if we do any big game hunting this deadline and actually acquire someone it's going to be Jacob Chychrun.

He'll step right into PP1.

Hanifin - Andersson
Chychrun - Weegar
Zadarov - Tanev
Youd be willing to give up our 1st this season and probably one of Zary/pelletier/Coronato?

Thats about the rumoured ask.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:31 PM   #9215
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleeceGang View Post
What about Kylington? If he is back full time next season slotting him into the top 4 would be a better option than the alternatives you mentioned.
I think we are tending to remember Kylington with rose coloured glasses. He is better than Stone, Gilbert or Mackey, but he is certainly nowhere near the Dman Hanifin is.

We aslo tend to underrate Hanifin around here.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 02:33 PM   #9216
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Youd be willing to give up our 1st this season and probably one of Zary/pelletier/Coronato?

I'm not really saying I'd be willing to do it - just that I think that he'd end up being our target if we took a big swing.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 03:00 PM   #9217
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's about the rumoured ask.
I would expect many teams would give up their first and a very good, but non-elite, prospect for him.

Accordingly, I expect the highest bidder would be whom gave up the prospect that Arizona liked better. Or gave additional draft capital.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:11 PM   #9218
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That seems insane to me. I have no understanding of why this player keeps being held up so high by managers across the NHL. He gets hurt all the time and puts up okay numbers when he's not.

He keeps being touted as some potential star forward, yet he's 28 years old now. His best season was was five years ago with 47 points and +25, that's pretty good. Since then he's put up 4, 24, 32 points, where his plus/minus was -8, -10, -25.

This year he's got 17 points in 43 games and is -13.
Full stop he's the most overrated NHL player ever. I used to think Rick Nash was one of the more overrated players ever but at least he produced offensively. This guy produces like a 3rd liner but people talk about him like he's some coveted power forward when the reality is that in his prime he's been barely better than Milan Lucic over his Flames and Oilers years.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-30-2023 at 03:13 PM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:19 PM   #9219
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

He's a 24 year old top pairing dman that is signed for another two seasons at a very reasonable cap hit ($4.6M AAV).

Chychrun would absolutely be worth a 1st + Zary/Pelletier/Coronato + middling roster player.

He'd also provide some flexibility to deal Hanifin for a nice package at the 2024 trade deadline without impacting the defense if it becomes clear that Hanifin doesn't want to re-sign
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 03:42 PM   #9220
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
He's a 24 year old top pairing dman that is signed for another two seasons at a very reasonable cap hit ($4.6M AAV).

Chychrun would absolutely be worth a 1st + Zary/Pelletier/Coronato + middling roster player.

He'd also provide some flexibility to deal Hanifin for a nice package at the 2024 trade deadline without impacting the defense if it becomes clear that Hanifin doesn't want to re-sign
yeah I doubt that even gets it done...if all they wanted was a first and a half decent prospect the would have been traded by now