Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2023, 10:34 AM   #9061
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

It would suck to see Backs get traded. But if the team is looking to pivot to re-building, It’s understandable. I still think Marky has value but you’d have to retain salary to make it work. That is even if he actually wants out. Good to see Brad doesn’t want to move our 1st if that’s true
Old 01-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #9062
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a bad feeling about this trade deadline. Treliving is going to pay up for something that won't move the needle enough.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #9063
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I look at backlund again this year, just love the player. Keep him around, I’d love to see him retire here. If he is traded, I’d love to see him go out east (bruins??) and win a cup.

I’d much rather the flames go after more assets by moving lindholm this offseason. He’s a smart C, but he’s a complimentary good player. Kind of like a Zack Hyman at C for me. Good, not great at anything, but can play with elite players. Getting guys like that are easier than getting actual elite players.

Last edited by bubbsy; 01-27-2023 at 01:53 PM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 10:41 AM   #9064
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
It would suck to see Backs get traded. But if the team is looking to pivot to re-building, It’s understandable. I still think Marky has value but you’d have to retain salary to make it work. That is even if he actually wants out. Good to see Brad doesn’t want to move our 1st if that’s true
I would trade Backlund is a heartbeat, even for a 2nd. It sucks to see him go and he is very valuable. But he is replaceable too.

The Flames have always seemed to keep guys like Backlund as he is an all-time Flame, but other teams don't do this.

Is Backlund to the Flames anywhere near what Toews and Kane are to the Hawks? Those guys won 3 cups. I know they are rebuilding but seriously Backlund is not Iggy. If we can get a 2nd or even a 3rd, do it call up Zary. See what happens.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:44 AM   #9065
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
When I look at backlund again this year, just love the player. Keep him around, I’d love to see him retire here. If he is traded, I’d love to see him go out east (bruins??) and win a cup.

I’d much rather the flames go after more assets by moving lindholm this offseason. He’s a smart C, but he’s a complimentary good player. Kind of like a Zachary human at C for me. Good, not great at anything, but can play with elite players. Getting guys like that are easier than getting actual elite players.
Lindholm has also played on a line that was call "the best line in the league"

I'd trade Lindholm if the return was unreal and his contract ask was too much. But if you can get him on a good deal after a bad year, I'd rather keep him as I feel guys like Zary can sub in for Backlund and have the upside to who knows, be better than Backlund.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:54 AM   #9066
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post

I'd trade Lindholm if the return was unreal and his contract ask was too much. But if you can get him on a good deal after a bad year, I'd rather keep him as I feel guys like Zary can sub in for Backlund and have the upside to who knows, be better than Backlund.
This year, and perhaps every other year on his career without gaudreau on his wing, Lindholm has never shown to be a true play driving elite top line player. I’d still think to keep him over backlund, except I think lindholms trade value this offseason would still be very high, especially for teams that has elite wingers.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:54 AM   #9067
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I have a bad feeling about this trade deadline. Treliving is going to pay up for something that won't move the needle enough.
This is the risk when you have a GM with no contract for next season for sure.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:54 AM   #9068
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would trade Backlund is a heartbeat, even for a 2nd. It sucks to see him go and he is very valuable. But he is replaceable too.

The Flames have always seemed to keep guys like Backlund as he is an all-time Flame, but other teams don't do this.

Is Backlund to the Flames anywhere near what Toews and Kane are to the Hawks? Those guys won 3 cups. I know they are rebuilding but seriously Backlund is not Iggy. If we can get a 2nd or even a 3rd, do it call up Zary. See what happens.
Trading Backlund for a 2nd or a 3rd round pick does not make the Flames better, now or ever.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 10:55 AM   #9069
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the minority but personally I would move Toffoli. Having a great season statistically, 30 years old with 1 year remaining after this season.

Does Toffoli really make us that much better? I don't think so. I'd much rather inject some more youth and add prospects or draft picks.

He gives us a better chance at strengthening our future than he does for us to win a cup.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:55 AM   #9070
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’d rather keep backlund around for the young guys coming up , especially if the teams goes into a rebuild. He’s the guy I want the rookies looking to as a template/mentor, more than anyone other forward on the team.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #9071
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think Pelletier is going to stick around the kid is having is confidence grow and was really unlucky to not have his first point the other night. He has a motor like Mangiapane but maybe a bit better hockey sense which is really exciting.

I can't see Calgary trading there 1st round draft pick in 2023, but a guy like O'Rielly makes sense and you have the option to put Lindholm on the RW if he is ok with that.
If Kylington does not come back then maybe Radko Gudas as a number 5/6 makes sense as he can play the right side.

Rucizka & 2024 3rd for O Rielly Value might chnage depending on retention required
Emillo Petterson and 2023 6th For Gudas

Huberdeu O'Rielly Lindholm
Pelltier Kadri Toffoli
Maginapane Backlund Coleman
Dube Lewis Duehr

Lucic/Ritchie

Hanifin Anderson
Weegar Tanev
Zadorov Gudas

Vladar
Markstom
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #9072
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, a lot rides on what Lindholm wants. It may be unaffordable even if a lot of people think it's fair.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 11:06 AM   #9073
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Trading Backlund for a 2nd or a 3rd round pick does not make the Flames better, now or ever.
Letting Backlund get too old to play doesn't make the Flames better now or ever. This season is looking like a write off here soon. Is Backlund going to be this good when he is 35? 36?

Need a spot for Zary too, not just a 4th line spot. We will draft more players and sign or trade for more players. Backlund is good but he isn't irreplaceable either.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #9074
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon54

Some good comments and something has to change with this roster and right now. Whatever it is there needs to be some or a significant move made to change how this roster is currently constructed. With an emphasis on speed and more speed. The latest loss to the hawks is unacceptable and actually the players should be embarrassed at an effort like that. There is definitely something going on with this team and something needs to change.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #9075
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Meh, I think Backlund and Hanifin are both on the edge of 1st round pick deserving territory if traded this season. Markstrom and Mangiapane no.
And then I would ask if trading Hanifin for a late 1st is worth it.
If you can re-sign him, it's not.
The chances you get a player nearly as good as him in the 20s is slim.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 11:28 AM   #9076
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there's 2 choices with this team. Double down on win now mode and keep adding pieces to hope that this core can get enough chemistry together for a couple of deep playoff runs. Or, start stripping it down and acknowledge the fact you need to be in a situation to draft your next blue chip prospect(s) and rebuild something.

Trying to tinker a roster each year around a Huberdeau focused team is probably the worst strategy. I hate to say it but I haven't seen much this season that leads me to believe having him as the top paid guy and franchise player is going to set the team up for contending. Hope he somehow proves that wrong, but I can't say I'm a believer at this point. Having that much cap space tied up in a player who isn't dominant isn't a great situation.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 11:34 AM   #9077
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you're willing to move Backlund, it's probably during the offseason to make room for an impact winger who can score. Then you hope Ruzicka, Zary or another affordable option can slot into 3C.
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggyloob12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 11:35 AM   #9078
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
And then I would ask if trading Hanifin for a late 1st is worth it.
If you can re-sign him, it's not.
The chances you get a player nearly as good as him in the 20s is slim.
The problem with our d is when Tanev is out of the lineup, it looks like a d core that is not very good. I'm not sure Hanifin is worth a contract of $7 mil+. he could likely get $8 mil+. His value trade value is at an all time high right now. (Well last summer it was when some of us were saying trade him now)

You seriously have to question this d. Is Tanev under rated league wide? Clearly considering we were losers of that off season when we signed him. But Tanev isn't a hall of famer either. Losing him shouldn't cause this big of a collapse when he is out. This team can't win a game without him.

The Flames also likely need to move a contract out. Hanifin is ok to keep if we sign him to a decent deal and move out a Backlund or Mangiapane or Toffoli. But if the return on Hanifin is the return. He should be looked at especially this summer if we can't resign him or the deal just doesn't look as good as we want it to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 11:37 AM   #9079
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Athletics has an interesting article about how a Flames-Sharks trade could work for Timo Meier. It mentions Mangiapane as a key piece going back, with a 1st and maybe one of Coronato or Wolf.

But even the writers acknowledge it's not likely:
Quote:
There is a reason why the Flames aren’t seen as a front-runner for Meier. The team’s salary cap situation will make it hard for them to accommodate him long-term. Unless Treliving is able to work some magic, Calgary might be better off seeking cost-effective alternatives.
https://theathletic.com/4129431/2023...sharks-flames/
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:39 AM   #9080
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyloob12 View Post
If you're willing to move Backlund, it's probably during the offseason to make room for an impact winger who can score. Then you hope Ruzicka, Zary or another affordable option can slot into 3C.
Something has to happen anyways. Unless tha cap goes to $86 mil, this team needs to move 1 player that makes a few mil or more.

Trade:
Mangiapane or Dube, both players are young and the return likely is not great.

Trade:

Backlund or Toffoli or Tanev or Markstrom. Tanev seems to be the guy we suck the most without. The other 3 are older but I feel like we may have someone to replace them in the AHL. Markstrom is least likely to move though.

If you want to improve your prospect pool while moving guys out it's much better to do it at the deadline though. Teams are looking at the cup now and likely care less about picks and cap when they are chasing a cup. Cap is tight though but there is expiring contracts that you can take back or injuries that will give teams a Tampa scenario.

Falling into the top 10 of this draft would be a huge bonus for thsi team. If Tanev is out long term and you trade Backlund, we will be drafting in the top 10.