Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 11:52 AM   #8701
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I guess I'm simply of the belief that no team can compete if Huberdeau is on the books at $10.5MM beyond the age of 35 (I think it will be sooner, to be fair), so why not get rid of it if the opportunity comes up?

Huberdeau's value is definitely low right now, but I don't think my opinion changes if he scores at a point per game next season either.
Personally I think you are underestimating the rebuild cycle anyways.

Even if the Flames decided to tank today and go full rebuild - they aren't winning the cup for at least 8 seasons anyways.

Look at Colorado, Tampa, Washington and look how long it took to win from first "tank" to actually winning. Generally 8-10 years.

So why trade Huberdeau for two bad contracts now at his absolute lowest value, when maybe Montreal or somebody else would actually give you a okay return if he has 90 points again next year.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:57 AM   #8702
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe you aren't ready to challenge for the Cup in 5 years but you still need to re-sign young players out of their ELC
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:04 PM   #8703
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Personally I think you are underestimating the rebuild cycle anyways.

Even if the Flames decided to tank today and go full rebuild - they aren't winning the cup for at least 8 seasons anyways.

Look at Colorado, Tampa, Washington and look how long it took to win from first "tank" to actually winning. Generally 8-10 years.

So why trade Huberdeau for two bad contracts now at his absolute lowest value, when maybe Montreal or somebody else would actually give you a okay return if he has 90 points again next year.
Yep, it’s rare that your impact players come in and bring you to the promise land right away.

The fastest is probably Pittsburgh and Chicago - and that’s from when they drafted their players, not the process of getting to the draft table

Crosby lost in the Finals during his 3rd season, and won the Cup in his 4th.

Kane and Toews won their first Cup in their 3rd seasons.

So from the point of drafting your franchise defining player(s), you’re at best 3-4 years away from getting into that spot.

Tearing down a team generally takes 1-2 seasons as well. So you’ve got a tear down (call it two years) and then however long it takes your luck to hit and get you your franchise defining pick (if it’s in a stretch of bad draft years? Yikes) - so call that 2 years of bottoming out if you’re lucky, then 2-3 years of building your team back up.

2 years to rip it down.
2 years of bottoming out.
3-4 years of building it back.

You have to hope that in the 2 years of ripping it down and the 2 years of bottoming out you happen to hit absolute home runs at the top of the draft at least twice.

Call it a 5 year journey of being outside of the playoffs if everything goes absolutely perfect.

So if we look at Huby’s contract and Sutter’s contract - we’ve got like 2 years after this one to try and compete, followed up by an actual proper rebuild. The timing isn’t terrible.

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-17-2023 at 12:09 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 12:15 PM   #8704
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe you aren't ready to challenge for the Cup in 5 years but you still need to re-sign young players out of their ELC
But as long as you don't sign more bad contracts it shouldn't matter because you shouldn't be a cap team while rebuilding anyways.

All making that trade does is make you worse this year and next when you're trying to win still (that's just a fact like it or not), moves a player at his lowest value for even more negative value, and eliminates any possible positive return.

Huberdeau could be a 90 point guy again the next two seasons, that is 100% possible...no chance Gallagher and Anderson improve on what they've been for about three seasons now.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:20 PM   #8705
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames miss the playoffs this season and Huby isn't happy I have no issues with the team and his agent working on a trade but I would be looking for a 1st round pick and top prospects from the other team. I think most GM's will realize that his struggles this season have nothing to do with decline and more that it's just not a great fit with the coach. You definitely don't sell low or take in junk like that Duha suggestion. I'm not as down on him as others as Darryl gets a lot out of his players but not always their best offensively and I think that's the case here. I still think he could get back to his career norms here under a different head coach.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 12:31 PM   #8706
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team is committed to Huberdeau over anyone else with the deal they gave him. You fire Sutter before trading him
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:34 PM   #8707
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a serious argument to be made for wolf not being the best goalie outside of the NHL? The pedigree goalie numbers are vastly inferior.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:34 PM   #8708
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Typical Duha trade.
Terrible for the flames - Check
Superstar for serviceable veterans past their prime - check
Wanting to blow up a team - check

Fire that guy into the sun, along with his #### proposal.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:35 PM   #8709
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can definitely see Huberdeau having a bounce back season next year. That being said, I would be lying if I said I wasnt expecting more 'wow' moments from him. a 10.5M winger should have at least a wow moment or two a game. He's had maybe 5 all season. Maybe theres more but the plays haven't been finished. Just not close to what i expected, even getting used to a new team and system.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 12:37 PM   #8710
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

yep. horrible trade concept Gallagher plays a tough style, and I doubt he has many years left.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #8711
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
But as long as you don't sign more bad contracts it shouldn't matter because you shouldn't be a cap team while rebuilding anyways.

All making that trade does is make you worse this year and next when you're trying to win still (that's just a fact like it or not), moves a player at his lowest value for even more negative value, and eliminates any possible positive return.

Huberdeau could be a 90 point guy again the next two seasons, that is 100% possible...no chance Gallagher and Anderson improve on what they've been for about three seasons now.
In 8 years, after going through a rebuild, even if you aren't competing for the Cup yet - you could very well be a cap team in need of cap space and having Huberdeau on the books may force decisions you wouldn't need to otherwise make.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:45 PM   #8712
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If the Flames miss the playoffs this season and Huby isn't happy I have no issues with the team and his agent working on a trade but I would be looking for a 1st round pick and top prospects from the other team. I think most GM's will realize that his struggles this season have nothing to do with decline and more that it's just not a great fit with the coach. You definitely don't sell low or take in junk like that Duha suggestion. I'm not as down on him as others as Darryl gets a lot out of his players but not always their best offensively and I think that's the case here. I still think he could get back to his career norms here under a different head coach.
If the Flames decide to move on from Huber after this season (let's say he has 60 points), no one will take on a $10.5% cap hit and give up a 1st round pick and top prospects. We all laughed at that suggestion for Karlsson who is haivng a very good year this year.

Teams will need to see some evidence of a bounce back before committing that much trade capital.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 12:58 PM   #8713
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Huberdeau disappointment is overblown. I was hoping for more of a gamebreaker but I'd suggest a few things to keep in mind.

He is playing two and a half minutes less per game than last season and even though his points per 60 have also dropped, he is on a team that rolls lines instead of deploying stars strategically and he has played a ton with Milan freaking Lucic. Add to that his move to a new city, new style of play, and the accompanying growing pains, it would be very premature to call him a bad fit or a bad contract. The Flames need to be patient here.

Maybe Pelletier, Zary, or Coronato will have great chemistry with him or maybe he and Kadri will just get better and better. It's too early to tell and the current results, as underwhelming as they might be, are still good enough for the Flames to likely be a playoff team in a year with below average goaltending.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 01:07 PM   #8714
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are also under the impression that 10.5M is a top of the league player still...it's not

The top end guys will be getting 15+ soon
Old 01-17-2023, 01:10 PM   #8715
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well only two players are getting 12+ right now so I think that's a little while off (until McDavid's next contract - not sure Matthews will get there). $10.5 million is still over 10% of a $100M cap. It is significant.

Last edited by Ashasx; 01-17-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:11 PM   #8716
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
This team is committed to Huberdeau over anyone else with the deal they gave him. You fire Sutter before trading him
In theory, but if Ownership lets Tre walk, and puts in a Sutter guy in the GM slot as a figurehead, well.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 01:25 PM   #8717
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well only two players are getting 12+ right now so I think that's a little while off (until McDavid's next contract - not sure Matthews will get there). $10.5 million is still over 10% of a $100M cap. It is significant.
Matthews will get close to 15
Pretty average players are getting 7+

Just saying 10.5 isn't what it used to be...we also pay Calgary tax. A 9.5M player makes 10.5 in Calgary it seems.

Last edited by dino7c; 01-17-2023 at 01:27 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 01:26 PM   #8718
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Typical Duha trade.
Terrible for the flames - Check
Superstar for serviceable veterans past their prime - check
Wanting to blow up a team - check

Fire that guy into the sun, along with his #### proposal.
I think you're missing the point of his article, which was the NHL version of musical reunion tours. It's light-hearted fun not meant to be treated so seriously.
Oh, and good news: no one is making you subscribe to read his bad takes so shooting him into the sun isn't necessary!
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iggyloob12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 01:38 PM   #8719
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am willing to trade Montreal Huberdeau, but the cost is Dach + florida 1st. I can be negotiated away from the FLA 1st imo. But Dach + is the type of basis.

Anderson is a throwaway in this trade. I would only accept Anderson if the trade is: Dach+Anderson+FLA 1st .
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 01:39 PM   #8720
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, Sam Bennett has turned back into a pumpkin in florida. I am not at all surprised but it seems some of you haven't realized yet. We do not want the player back.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote