Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #8021
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yeah I think you are light there Scorp. He is on a 27 goal pace, you're not getting a rental like that for a third. Last year a 3rd round pick got you Justin Braun or Nicolas Deslauriers.

We'll see how he plays for the next 2 months though. Seems like it is often a seller's market.
Well the Deslauriers trade was patently absurd, too xD

And yeah I agree his value is higher now. But I just don't see it getting into that second-round pick territory. He's beginning to remind me a bit of Vanek with how much he's bouncing around.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #8022
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He will still command a high price. Either NYR will use him as trade capital to bring in a missing piece, ask for a similar struggling young player (none come to mind immediately) or a package of picks/prospects.
Or save him for an eventual offer to McDavid when he demands a trade this summer.

I don't think the Flames have the required pieces.

NYR's re-build has gone pretty well considering neither AF or Kakko have worked out well to this point.
Laf kind of reminds me of Lindholm before he came to Calgary. I suspect NYR would look for something similar to what Carolina moved Lindholm (and Hanifan) for at that point.

I could totally see a team like Columbus going hard on Lafreniere. Agreed that Calgary is unlikely, more a dream on my part.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:53 AM   #8023
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I haven’t watched much of Domi lately so I don’t really know his game at all. If he’s Bennett-lite that could be worthwhile. I really think what we need is a hard-nosed, speedy player who drives the net and can pot 10-15 in a regular year. That could be a great addition to Huberdeau’s line.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 10:55 AM   #8024
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always wanted Domi to play on a line with Tkachuk while we had him just for the entertainment.

I'm not a fan of trading top 2 round picks or upper tier prospects at the deadline though unless we are a top 3-4 team in the league.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2022, 10:58 AM   #8025
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

LeBrun in his latest rumblings article says he thinks it is more likely that ROR is traded than re-signed by the Blues. Speculating Leafs or the Avs would be among the most interested.

He would be one of the top rentals if the Blues move him.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:04 AM   #8026
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Wouldn't that be something, after everything he went through, for O'Reilly to go back to Colorado
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:09 AM   #8027
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I always wanted Domi to play on a line with Tkachuk while we had him just for the entertainment.

I'm not a fan of trading top 2 round picks or upper tier prospects at the deadline though unless we are a top 3-4 team in the league.
League standings are kinda irrelevant

1-3 seed in the division comfortably...like it or not the Flames are all in the next few years, no point in holding back much
Old 12-29-2022, 11:14 AM   #8028
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Domi still has a fair bit of stink on him that I would avoid. Pretty good stats on a terrible team.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:18 AM   #8029
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

What stink?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #8030
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It feels like he has been on 5 different teams in 5 years. Not great in the dressing room, not really performing to his contract. Nothing terrible like an Edmonton stink, but nothing great either.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #8031
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Domi. He has had problems with consistency, but his cap hit seems fair enough. I don't think he would move the needle that much, but one more scoring threat would help this team, no doubt.

I do wonder why he seems like he can never stick anywhere though. He is already on his 5th NHL team and is only 27.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:27 AM   #8032
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's also why he'd be a low-cost acquisition.
But he's got 23 points in 33 games this season. For 3M on an expiring deal, that's not bad at all.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:06 PM   #8033
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Lafrenière really does become available, it's hard to argue against the Flames unloading the coffers to acquire him. If this team is serious about contending on a go-forward basis, his combination of skillset and age is what this team absolutely needs. The cost would undoubtedly be significant, but would likely have to largely be future based as neither NYR or CGY has much in the way of cap-space (unless the deal were to get more complicated).

Huberdeau - Kadri - Lafrenière

That could be something special.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:07 PM   #8034
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unless he's another Yakupov
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:12 PM   #8035
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams typically do not trade young talent when they are at their lowest. The rangers probably want youth in return if they did make a move and not sure they would want the Flames unproven youth like Pelletier or Coronato or if they would want a good young NHLer in return?

If he were available I would like the Flames to inquire but I am not sold on our assets being the best to get a deal done
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:13 PM   #8036
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
That's also why he'd be a low-cost acquisition.
But he's got 23 points in 33 games this season. For 3M on an expiring deal, that's not bad at all.
If the acquisition cost is low (like a 4th or something similar), fill your boots. My issue is that they will get more based on this year's production, which I think is inflated based on playing on such a poor team. Very high TOI and lots of power play time and points he would unlikely see in Calgary. (and add in an unsustainably high shooting percentage).

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 12-29-2022 at 02:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #8037
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lafrenière isn’t even doing that bad. Not the game breaker he should be based on his junior career, but he’s producing like a solid middle sixer. He’s right between Backlund/Huberdeau/Mangiapane for 5v5 scoring this year. Not his fault he plays the 2nd PP behind a 1st unit that routinely gets the first 1:30 of every PP.

Outside of the top, top players, production is almost entirely usage dependent. Looking deeper into the fancies, he’s probably not getting himself or his teammates into dangerous scoring positions enough yet, his xGoals are not great.

He’ll be a decent player in the league, and he’s still young and cheap. Wouldn’t pay top 10 pick value but I think he should at least be able to be a decent NHLer for a while.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:05 PM   #8038
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Lafreniere is also a healthy scratch tonight. Would love if the flames took a shot at him should he become available.
Coronato into lafreniere... you can do it tre-dalf!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:28 PM   #8039
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Would rather keep Coronato

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2022, 02:32 PM   #8040
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Neither team has won squat, so it's hard to say it hasn't hurt them. And both teams have had a resurgence this year, so its pretty small sample size.

And Dallas getting some premium players in unexpected positions is what has saved them.

I hadn't realised that Calgary has pulled "a top line player" out of each draft recently? Where are they?

Oh, down on the farm hoping to reach their potential I guess. There is a difference between being a top line player and potentially being a top line player. Neither Pelltier nor Coronato are considered elite prospects. Now, they may reach the status of a first line player, they do have skill. But it's a long way from calling them "first line players".

Ruzicka trending that way currently. Previous year to that Tkachuck and Fox. Previous draft to that Rasmus and Kylington were / are trending that way. You'd have to ask Sutter why the latest batch hasn't been given a chance. They seem to find a lot of good players quite regularly or at least did until Sutter came back. They need one guy that can finish and either Kylington to come back or someone else to step up on D and that's a legit second round team if goaltending holds up. I dont think trading for a short term rental makes sense personally (that's what I was replying to initially). Now if its a swap for a young change of scenery player that has term or will sign like a Lindholm deal that I can get behind.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote