Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #6901
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1582505290247069696
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:01 PM   #6902
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is our best chance at a cup in the last 30 years, and if we are truly all-in (and we are), and you have a shot at landing a guy like Kane, you do it. He could absolutely put us over the top. I don't see how it would work cap-wise though, there would have to be some serious cap gymnastics, but the team that lands him dramatically increases their chances of winning it all. We surely don't want to see Edmonton getting him. Just my opinion.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 07:08 AM   #6903
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane has 132 points in 136 playoff games. He is a playoff performer. Whomever we add at the deadline, I hope for a playoff performer. Doesn't always work out that way, but I don't think anyone would question Kane's ability to fit on any line and be able to put up points, while making his linemates better. That's what's awesome about a guy like Kane.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 02:28 PM   #6904
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Kane has 132 points in 136 playoff games. He is a playoff performer. Whomever we add at the deadline, I hope for a playoff performer. Doesn't always work out that way, but I don't think anyone would question Kane's ability to fit on any line and be able to put up points, while making his linemates better. That's what's awesome about a guy like Kane.
His first two hat tricks were in playoff series elimination games, the first vs. Vancouver.

Better competition and tighter checking in the playoffs hasn't slowed Kane down one bit. Just the opposite.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 02:35 PM   #6905
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Spoiler!
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony-soprano For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 03:01 PM   #6906
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-soprano View Post
Spoiler!
Unless Kane essentially says that he'll only accept a trade to one named team, the cost of obtaining him at the deadline (with 50% retained) is going to be very high.

I expect the Rangers will be his likely preferred destination, but who knows what the landscape will look like then. That trade deadline is a long way off.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:02 PM   #6907
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1582780380784242688
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:13 PM   #6908
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd take Kane as a rental but for a reasonable cost. Not sure how we'd get it done but I would be hesitant to include Coronato.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:44 PM   #6909
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Coronato is the first shooting RHS RW we’ve had since Iginla.
Absolutely no trading him for a rental.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 04:22 PM   #6910
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
This is our best chance at a cup in the last 30 years, and if we are truly all-in (and we are), and you have a shot at landing a guy like Kane, you do it. He could absolutely put us over the top. I don't see how it would work cap-wise though, there would have to be some serious cap gymnastics, but the team that lands him dramatically increases their chances of winning it all. We surely don't want to see Edmonton getting him. Just my opinion.

Tempting, but the Flames need to stop spending assets. The Huberdeau, Weegar, Kadri window is wide open for the next let’s say 4 years, then they’ll need new blood to step up.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #6911
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously it is over simplifying things, but if trading Coranato+ for Kane meant a 50% of winning the cup, would you do it? I probably would.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:26 PM   #6912
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Obviously it is over simplifying things, but if trading Coranato+ for Kane meant a 50% of winning the cup, would you do it? I probably would.
I would trade anybody for a 50% chance of winning the Cup. It's impossible for any team to have that high of a chance before the trade deadline.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 04:27 PM   #6913
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am 100% willing to go through a few years of doom and gloom if going all in the next two seasons gets us a Cup.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 04:32 PM   #6914
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
So the dressing room is like the entire west coast?

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:44 PM   #6915
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

People advocating to trade Coronato will be the first one's to bitch that we have no prospects in a couple seasons.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 04:44 PM   #6916
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
I am 100% willing to go through a few years of doom and gloom if going all in the next two seasons gets us a Cup.
If somebody offered me a cup in the next two years, for 10 years of doom and gloom I'd take it. Hell I might take 15 years.

A cup is a cup.

You might suck for the next 10 years anyways, you take the cup every day of the week.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 04:47 PM   #6917
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
People advocating to trade Coronato will be the first one's to bitch that we have no prospects in a couple seasons.
Not if the Flames win a cup.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 04:53 PM   #6918
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If somebody offered me a cup in the next two years, for 10 years of doom and gloom I'd take it. Hell I might take 15 years.

A cup is a cup.

You might suck for the next 10 years anyways, you take the cup every day of the week.
People like to point out that if we add Kane it's not a guarantee this team wins a cup but act like Coronato is a guarantee first line RW or we will 100% draft a star with a late first 2023 and get no good prospects after the first round because that's when the draft ends.

If things continue to go well until the deadline, we can add Kane 50% retained and send 0 salary back. If it's an option and we are looking to be a 110-point team, you have to consider it.

Coronato and 1st might not get it done but Chicago would have to consider that a great starting point
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:58 PM   #6919
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Not if the Flames win a cup.
It's game 4 into the season, pretty big "if".
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 05:00 PM   #6920
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think people are overestimating what it’s going to require to acquire Kane at the deadline. With the lack of teams available to add his cap hit even after retaining, it’s going to be a 1st + prospects but I doubt it would be the acquiring teams #1 prospect as they know that Kane is only a rental on an expiring UFA contract. If Coronato rips it up this year and takes the next step then I think he’s going to play himself off the table of even being a discussion point in any trade talks. There’s no way BT would trade him.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post: