Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #4621
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598511698490662912

Smith in trouble now…
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #4622
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
He gave a different perspective than the typical CP hive mentality imo.
Yes, I appreciated his takes, too, but I don't think it's fair to say we chased him away. Most of us engaged with him in good faith and digested his perspective. I can understand if he wants a break from always being slightly offside the norm and having to defend himself as a result, but I really don't think we were jerks to him and I always thought of him as part of the team here in off topic.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:20 PM   #4623
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I think it's because no one can mount a decent defense of this UCP circus. There are some ultra conservative right-wingers on CP that can't even bring themselves to do it. Then again, why would they when they can just blame everything on Justinflation Trudope.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:21 PM   #4624
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s too bad if CliffFletcher is gone. I like the different opinions and I like the posters who are contrarian. I hope people don’t chase Yoho away because I think those voices are great. That post about Singh coming and “Smiths in trouble now”…that’s hilarious.

But this is what I want to see…conflict. I’m not interested in page after page of “Smith is so terrible…”
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:24 PM   #4625
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
It’s too bad if CliffFletcher is gone. I like the different opinions and I like the posters who are contrarian. I hope people don’t chase Yoho away because I think those voices are great. That post about Singh coming and “Smiths in trouble now”…that’s hilarious.

But this is what I want to see…conflict. I’m not interested in page after page of “Smith is so terrible…”
If you want conflict, I'll give one to you haha.

I'm an earlier post you said centre-right voters will stay home cos they won't vote for the NDP nor the UCP. Those folks are the biggest cowards in the world.

Come at me haha!
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:25 PM   #4626
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

It’s an insult to cliff to compare him to Yoho. Yoho adds nothing of value to the political discussion except dangerous misinformation and links to sites that support Jewish conspiracies and white supremacy.

Cliff at least was polite, well spoken and could engage in an intelligent discussion. He always kept discussions civil no matter what insults were thrown at him. I just found as time went by, his positions became more and more extreme and harder to defend.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:26 PM   #4627
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I want that different opinion, too, but Yoho isn't engaging at all here. I'd love to see a sincere paragraph or two by him. Would be great to get an understanding of what he's seeing as positive for Alberta and Albertans with how we're being led right now.

But he's just trolling us with tweets. If he gets chased away we'll lose nothing because he isn't contributing anything.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #4628
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
meh. I don’t buy the hive mentality theory. Also it seemed like cliff increasingly lost the plot as the years went on. Having contrarians around isn’t always good for quality discourse.
You don’t have to buy the hive mentality, it’s free. Posters like him brought so much to this community. I certainly didn’t agree with everything he said, but he kept it interesting.

Remember cowperson? Those days were fun.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:37 PM   #4629
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
If you want conflict, I'll give one to you haha.

I'm an earlier post you said centre-right voters will stay home cos they won't vote for the NDP nor the UCP. Those folks are the biggest cowards in the world.

Come at me haha!
Nah, I want to be an observer of the conflict. I’m not too interested in arguing with people about this stuff. Honestly, the best conflicts aren’t in these threads anyway. It’s when things blowup in other random threads that I like.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #4630
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, I want that different opinion, too, but Yoho isn't engaging at all here. I'd love to see a sincere paragraph or two by him. Would be great to get an understanding of what he's seeing as positive for Alberta and Albertans with how we're being led right now.

But he's just trolling us with tweets. If he gets chased away we'll lose nothing because he isn't contributing anything.
But then you get “conservatives are lame” thanked by sliver, pepsi, fuzz, and whatever.
I would also like a conservative view. But you just keep chasing them away.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:47 PM   #4631
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

She should do that Slava, but I don't actually think she can. She has pet projects that are, to be generous, way, way out there that she just can't let go of. Look like right now, we are talking about a wacky unconstitutional law vs anything on her affordability measures. She just can't let it go.

Plus, her past. Her comments in the past aren't going to make a dent to her supporters, but you better believe they are/will to mushy middle voters, or right of centre like you note. Either something specific - eg her Ukraine and Russia comments are going to have staying power longer than I think she realizes - or just the overall accumulation of her comments.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:48 PM   #4632
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But then you get “conservatives are lame” thanked by sliver, pepsi, fuzz, and whatever.

If conservatives made a legitimate attempt to stop being lame, then there’d be less posts to that effect.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:54 PM   #4633
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But again, for me, I think you're missing the idea that it's not people being chased out - there's just nothing to actually defend.

It's kind of like Slava's comment about people not voting and staying home. Either they can't defend her actions, or are so put off by things she's done or said, that they don't come in.

And instead you are left with the drop nothing of value and run poster like we have been seeing in here for quite a while.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:58 PM   #4634
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sure, but they don’t consider themselves lame, you do, which they don’t care about.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #4635
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598477704004833282

All the big guns coming out.

“Methinks the lady doth protest too much”
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #4636
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but they don’t consider themselves lame, you do, which they don’t care about.
I don't think you're getting what redhot is saying, but in my case I'll concede you may be right. I do think conservative people are lame and their ideas are stupid. If that chases them away, I guess they're snowflakes? I mean, not sure what else to say on that one. There's a reason I want a smart conservative to interpret the stupidity of their party so I can understand it, but look around. There are no smart Conservatives in this thread or in my real life that can justify the logic behind the ucp's actions. Ergo, maybe there are no smart ucp supporters.

I suppose if I was a conservative poster I may want to keep a low profile right now. Everyone thinks the party in power is stupid af and you're one of the guys that voted them into power. It'd probably quite embarrassing.

P.S. There's a fataing random dog barking outside my bedroom somewhere and I'm about to blow a gasket.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:11 PM   #4637
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Someone on twitter compared it to the Enabling Act. Which was passed in Germany in 1933.
Luckily there is a federal government to look after the best interests of the country in this case.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:13 PM   #4638
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You can just visit the Canadian Politics thread.

CaptainCrunch, Erick Estrada, doctorfever (or flamesfever? or are they different?), calgarygeologist, Azure, firebot, etc etc. All regular posters. All right if center or “conservative.” Some of them even worth interacting with! You could probably put Mr.Coffee in there, he’s great, maybe one of a centrist though? I don’t know. The point is there are lots of posters bringing lots of variety when it comes to political opinions. And a bunch of them have no trouble bringing as much snark as anyone else.

Acting like conservatives are being chased away is… lame. They post all the time in the Canadian thread, they don’t post here. Only Yoho posts here, and he gets called a bot because he has zero interest in conversation, he just reposts opinion pieces with the occasional one-liner he thinks is clever. I get brought up, mocked, and whined about by 2-3 posters in particular weekly (deserved, I’m a treasure) and I’m still here, nobody is “chasing me out.” Iggy_oi gets bullied constantly for being pro-union, nobody is chasing him out. I could go on, but if you’re getting chased off a message board because people call you lame? Jesus Christ, get a backbone.

“You just keep chasing them away”? You can’t be serious. Why? Because Cliff doesn’t post? One of the last things he defended the UCP over is them insisting that teachers also talk about all the “good things” Nazis did. Sorry you’re missing out on that, maybe you can DM him or just follow Kanye on Twitter.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:14 PM   #4639
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Luckily there is a federal government to look after the best interests of the country in this case.
It's still concerning. Voters elected the ucp. Those same people vote in federal elections. Just an awful trend watching the right wing become so bat#### crazy.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:16 PM   #4640
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post

All the big guns coming out.

“Methinks the lady doth protest too much”
I didn't think it could do it, but this bot most be becoming sentient. I asked for 2 sentences and it delivered!

Now...play classical gas!
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote