Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #4181
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would love to know why a 65+ making 175k a year needs this government money more than a 25yo student.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:03 PM   #4182
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
Would love to know why a 65+ making 175k a year needs this government money more than a 25yo student.
Because they're more likely to vote for the UCP.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 06:26 PM   #4183
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
They don’t… I think it’s only seniors who qualify for seniors benefits which would be single senior with an annual income of $29,630 or less, and senior couples with a combined annual income of $48,120 or less.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #4184
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
They don’t… I think it’s only seniors who qualify for seniors benefits which would be single senior with an annual income of $29,630 or less, and senior couples with a combined annual income of $48,120 or less.

You sure?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6660928

Seniors and families with dependent children under 18 will get $100 installments for six months for each child and senior. Only families with incomes below $180,000 per year are eligible.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/edmont...63383.amp.html

Inflation Relief Act:

$600 over six months to parents for each child under 18 as well as for every senior (household incomes under $180,000)

Last edited by RedHot25; 11-23-2022 at 06:56 PM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 06:56 PM   #4185
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Two things you’re not addressing. Having kids is a choice and if you thought it’d be inexpensive and easy, you’re an idiot. The second is that those without kids are already massively subsidizing your family. The most obvious one is the education portion of one’s property taxes.

Im not saying those with kids shouldn’t be getting assistance when the government is handing out money, but to feel more entitled because you’ve underestimated what it takes to raise children is just ignorant.
The public education is for the child's benefit, and is part of the social contract in which every individual in our society participates. Everyone receives exactly one public education. You received a public education and now you pay taxes. Each of these kids will receive a public education and later they will pay taxes. There is no subsidy to the parents there.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 07:04 PM   #4186
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
You sure?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6660928

Seniors and families with dependent children under 18 will get $100 installments for six months for each child and senior. Only families with incomes below $180,000 per year are eligible.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/edmont...63383.amp.html

Inflation Relief Act:

$600 over six months to parents for each child under 18 as well as for every senior (household incomes under $180,000)
No I’m not sure… that’s what I thought it was and what it should be… that’s insanity if it’s every senior…
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #4187
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
No I’m not sure… that’s what I thought it was and what it should be… that’s insanity if it’s every senior…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2022, 10:38 PM   #4188
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
The public education is for the child's benefit, and is part of the social contract in which every individual in our society participates. Everyone receives exactly one public education. You received a public education and now you pay taxes. Each of these kids will receive a public education and later they will pay taxes. There is no subsidy to the parents there.
It's also for society's benefit. Just look South of us to see the long-term impacts of a poor public education system.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:05 AM   #4189
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We seem to be missing the most obvious solution.

What if, and bear with me now, but what if...we prohibited sick people from using the Health Care system?

It seems like that would save us a lot of money!

What would the savings on that be on my tax return?

Or...and hear me out...or....we could launch Smith into the Sun and get on with our lives.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 12:10 AM   #4190
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We seem to be missing the most obvious solution.

What if, and bear with me now, but what if...we prohibited sick people from using the Health Care system?

It seems like that would save us a lot of money!

What would the savings on that be on my tax return?

Quote:
Or...and hear me out...or....we could launch Smith into the Sun and get on with our lives.
The last thing we want to do is make her a martyr
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 12:43 AM   #4191
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I'm 64 years old and I certainly won't be voting for the UCP
Old 11-24-2022, 01:04 AM   #4192
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Two things you’re not addressing. Having kids is a choice and if you thought it’d be inexpensive and easy, you’re an idiot. The second is that those without kids are already massively subsidizing your family. The most obvious one is the education portion of one’s property taxes.

Im not saying those with kids shouldn’t be getting assistance when the government is handing out money, but to feel more entitled because you’ve underestimated what it takes to raise children is just ignorant.
A little off topic but this is backwards. Those without kids entire financial future, health outcomes and even simply heat and power for their home in old age are entirely dependent on other people having children. If no one had kids society collapses if everyone had 2.1 kids society continues quite well. So who is subsidizing who?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 07:15 AM   #4193
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I would be curious to see the math on this one. I know Trevor is respected and I am not calling him a liar but a grand seem like a lot for the people without kids. $200 in energy rebates and removing the 4.5 cents gas tax does not seem to add up to a grand unless you are doing a lot of driving. Also there is the indexing tax brackets but I can't see that moving the needle a whole lot.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:28 AM   #4194
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
I would be curious to see the math on this one. I know Trevor is respected and I am not calling him a liar but a grand seem like a lot for the people without kids. $200 in energy rebates and removing the 4.5 cents gas tax does not seem to add up to a grand unless you are doing a lot of driving. Also there is the indexing tax brackets but I can't see that moving the needle a whole lot.
It does look like he answered this later:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1595552320288587776
Old 11-24-2022, 07:32 AM   #4195
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
It does look like he answered this later:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1595552320288587776
OK that makes sense. I thought it was just Smiths announcements that he was referring to.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:35 AM   #4196
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's funny, it seems the better you live for the environment, the fewer benefits you see. Seems wrong.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:49 AM   #4197
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I'm 64 years old and I certainly won't be voting for the UCP
They’ll probably win anyways if the people saying that also don’t vote for a party that can beat the UCP if they did
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:54 AM   #4198
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ium%3Dsharebar

Quote:
Danielle Smith, the pundit turned premier, wants to self-immunize from her opinionated past

Past utterances have caused her grief, even recent ones. She can't evade them all
Quote:
Well, scrutinize no longer. The public has been alerted by Danielle Smith herself: "I know I'm not a talk show host or media commentator any longer."

That stuff she said? It's so 2003. Way back in 2019. Or 2020. More than a year ago. As far as nine months ago. Or perhaps she was a UCP leadership candidate, but surely wasn't premier yet.
Quote:
Meanwhile, the premier brings up constantly that federal environment minister Steven Guilbeault used to be a tower-scaling Greenpeace activist. That was in 2001. Smith would have us believe that this Liberal leopard cannot change his spots, while Albertans need not to pay heed to her words from last summer.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #4199
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Smith (or her social media team) have also apparently been scrubbing Tweets about controversial topics she's made in the past as well. They're trying to remove any trace of extreme viewpoints or far-right sentiments.

Erase past, buy votes, soften tone. Really trying to get the moderates to like her and not ask questions.

But just like an out-of-control house pet, they'll play along nicely when you dangle a snack (re: election), but will obliterate your house all the same afterwards.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:27 AM   #4200
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The point is, how many kids you have is irrelevant. A family making 175K/year simply does not need a cash infusion of $600. By using the fact that you have children to incite a parental response that you are 'owed' is bottom of the barrel pandering.

It's simple to identify a base income that would trigger the reallocation. If both parents don't make that amount, they receive $1200 for their family. If someone else is struggling to pull in 30K/year, but don't have kids. You know what... pay them.

Giving $1200 to a couple that has two kids and a combined income of 175K/year is giving them money to help winterize their 500K 5th wheel.

What the hell are you all talking about "society", the the survival of the human race? Talk about raising the righteous bar way to high. It reminds me of a book that read once, called "The Puppy Who Lost his Way". The world was changing, and the puppy was getting bigger........ and nobody, especially the little boy "Society", knew where to find them. Except that the puppy was a dog, but the industry my friends, that was a revolution.