Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #181
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was on CBC today
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #182
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a good interview.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:20 AM   #183
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post

Or, and hear me out. This thread forced the CBC to interview Peterson. Thanks Cliff!
Old 01-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #184
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
That was a good interview.
I'll have to track it down. This doesn't surprise me, the CBC is a top tier network. I think their high end tv andradio personalities (basically anything on CBC newsworld or RadioOne) are exceptional. Their web content is a bit too "click baity".
Old 01-28-2018, 01:48 PM   #185
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #186
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pepe the Frog? Really?

Last edited by Ashasx; 01-28-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #187
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting! I typically don't like Wendy Mesley interviews, but that was great. Managed to get some humanity and self-doubt out of him, which he seems to guard against based on my limited exposure. Both came off well.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #188
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But he hasn't really gotten that much coverage in Canada - that's the point. I think the Globe and Mail has done two stories on Peterson in a year and a half, neither of which interviewed him. The Guardian did two stories on Peterson last week. The Toronto media establishment despises Peterson, and are doing their best to no-platform him.
That seems to be on the level of a conspiracy theory, considering he’s had sufficient coverage through each of the major outlets and just had a sit down interview on CBC.

If you look at the amount he’s come up, it’s about representation with his relevance. It’s peaking with his book, so he’s back in the news cycle.

This is just a lot let sinister than I think you think it is.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:17 PM   #189
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good interview. I was impressed with the self-awareness Peterson showed when he offered that his fame was likely to end in tears in the next 12 months. Though I think the most likely cause will be some kind of breakdown.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:40 PM   #190
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish it was a longer interview. I would be really interested to know more in depth what he means when he says what he is doing likely won't end well. I hope they have him on again at some point to continue the discussion.

I have been out of the loop with this whole Pepe thing. I'm still not sure I get it and I have to wonder if Peterson doesn't struggle with that. After thinking on it, he said he doesn't think taking the picture was a mistake, but you could tell from his manner that he knows it isn't clear-cut. From the aspect of allowing one to surrender to happenstance and practice free-speech, there would be a high threshold for being in error, but he has to know now (if he didn't then), that this has negatively affected the perception people have of him and distracts from the point he says he was making. From that perspective, I would think it was a mistake.

I have watched a few videos from him and one thing he says I can really relate to and he touched on it in this interview. The fear of saying the "wrong thing" or something inappropriate. That little voice in our heads that tries to filter our thoughts through a lens of emotion that often leaves us saying things we don't really mean (whether it is filtered by positive or negative emotion). Just as anger isn't always the appropriate response, neither is kindness if you want true meaningful discussion and change.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-28-2018 at 03:43 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #191
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

edit: oops yeah of course they've had a chat

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-28-2018 at 03:52 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #192
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Excuse the left-bias of the outlet, but a recent article notes a few of Peterson’s less than admirable oopsies:
https://pressprogress.ca/former-trut...lly-surprised/

Quote:
In one tweet dated March 24, 2016, Peterson replied to a selfie posted by author Gregg Hurwitz: “It’s good you drank the liquor this time instead of letting some Indian steal it.”
Quote:
Following that interview, Peterson was dogged by a video where he claims feminists have entered into an alliance with Muslims because they secretly yearn for “brutal male domination.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #193
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Excuse the left-bias of the outlet, but a recent article notes a few of Peterson’s less than admirable oopsies:
https://pressprogress.ca/former-trut...lly-surprised/
Gregg Hurwitz‏ @GreggHurwitz
In which I provide context to a two-year-old Tweet response from @jordanbpeterson to one of my posts.
Spoiler!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #194
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the kind of thing Peterson means when he recognizes that this ride won't last long.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #195
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Excuse the left-bias of the outlet, but a recent article notes a few of Peterson’s less than admirable oopsies:[/URL]
Zero context. Here's a good reply I saw on Twitter regarding this:

Quote:
And by the way, attacking someone’s character as a means of tarnishing their reputation or credibility so as to distract people from the information they present is essentially the same tactic trump uses against all the media outlets he rejects as “fake news”.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #196
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, this is a perfect example of a context-less age we live in on social media. It's all about how others feel when presented with a wrong doing reduced to a tweet or mere mention of one sentence devoid of a dozen others spoken around it.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #197
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Peterson would agree though that in retrospect, on a platform designed to be contextless, he shouldn't have tweeted that since it invites these kinds of situations. The tweet has been deleted, after all.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #198
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Peterson is not perfect, he knows he will eventually be torn down by both sides.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #199
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think Peterson would agree though that in retrospect, on a platform designed to be contextless, he shouldn't have tweeted that since it invites these kinds of situations.
It's true, but it's kind of blaming the victim. There are plenty of public figures now who are frequently plagued by deliberately dishonest interlocutors who look for opportunities to smear them by taking words out of context. This happens to Sam Harris constantly.

There are also plenty of people who are predisposed to want those people discredited, and so will perform a simple google search to find examples of bad things posted around the internet about that person on random ideological websites, like the article posted above. Owing to confirmation bias, people who are most likely to read those smears will generally just accept them at face value and not go looking for any context - they were actively looking for proof that they were right not to like this person, and lo and behold, here it is.

Moreover, such people are unlikely to be moved by clarifications. For one thing, they probably won't even see them, but it's simply a problem of human psychology that it's easier to damage someone's reputation through dishonesty than to repair it.

So yeah, I guess you could say that people like Harris (and Peterson apparently) should be aware of that reality and avoid giving dishonest detractors opportunities to smear them, but that's a pretty sad state of affairs when you have to take active steps to avoid people intentionally and maliciously lying about you.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #200
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-29-2018 at 02:33 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote