Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #21
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I found interesting was that the first thing I think of when I hear Paul kariya is a shot ringing off the crossbar during an Olympic shoot out.

All that said, I still think the Suter crosscheck was dirtier than the late Stevens hit. And that burke should have hit Suter for 20 games for that
Old 09-28-2017, 08:14 AM   #22
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Stevens ended careers. At the time he was basically doing his job, and I think everyone knew it. "Keep your head up!"

But to hear that Karyia is mentally operating in the 25th percentile of his age group... that kind of life altering brain damage transcends sport.

The long term effects are so clear now. I loved rock em sock em hockey. But the human cost is simply brutal.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #23
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 2 things that stand out for me in his career are the Steven's hit. I remember watching it on TV, then seeing his visor fog up when he started breathing again. In all my years of watching hockey, that was probably the scariest moment I can remember.

But to me my greatest memory of him was him playing on the wing of Lemieux at the '02 Olympics and the between the legs "pass" to Kariya for the goal.

That goal began the rise of Canadian domination at the Olympics that still goes on to this day.

I don't blame him one bit for being angry or stepping out of the spotlight. Not every star player needs to have a role after hockey in the league simply because fans want them too. If the guy wants to surf all day, then good for him.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #24
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Love Paul Kariya. I'd like to think that he's one of the reason that there are more Asian-Canadian/American players emerging in the NHL now.

Still happy I have my 2002 Team Canada Kariya jersey.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #25
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

His wife is hot
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 AM   #26
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
What I found interesting was that the first thing I think of when I hear Paul kariya is a shot ringing off the crossbar during an Olympic shoot out.

All that said, I still think the Suter crosscheck was dirtier than the late Stevens hit. And that burke should have hit Suter for 20 games for that
This. While not a cross bar, I remember being at a game when he was with Nashville, and I was sitting behind the visiting net. During warm up, i saw him wind up for a snap shot, and the second I saw his stick touch the ice, the glass rang loud as hell. After i blinked from that, I saw him finishing his follow through. While every player in the NHL can shoot, Kariya had an amazing one.

/Coolstorybro
manwiches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #27
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

A player of Japanese descent not being able to play in Nagano was a big blow. The fans in Nagano boo'd Suter that entire tournament.

With Kariya, we don't lose the 1996 World Cup or the 1998 Olympics.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #28
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
His wife is hot
Sweet comment bro.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #29
FireItUp
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In a way, Kariya stepping away from the game is refreshing to see. The NHL is stocked with past players doing jobs they ain't qualified for (Look up north). I love the idea of a player doing something other then hockey that he obviously loves.
It's unfortunate to have players hockey careers and lives altered because of those type of hits. They may wow the crowd at the time, but in the end I think it hurts the NHL.
The NHL would be far better off having elite players like LaFontaine, Lindros and Kariya playing till they choose to retire, rather then hanging them up early from concussions. These type of players put fans in seats and bring revenue to the NHL and owners, but the biggest reason to removed these type of hits is because life and life quality always trumps hockey.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #30
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

It really is ridiculous what Stevens was allowed to get away with, that was a clear targeting from across the ice, and he smoked Kariya directly in the head. Scary stuff.

I thought it was awesome as a 12 year old watching Stevens light people up but today it's mostly stomach churning watching that clip again.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #31
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Enjoyed watching that but hate the implication that him staying away from hockey now is because of his injuries, and he's bitter or something like that.

He lives on the beach, surfs everyday and has smoking hot partner.
I respect that he's living a different chapter in life and seemingly enjoying it. Knowing what head injuries can do to players, I hope that's the actual case.
Amen. Damn.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #32
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
It really is ridiculous what Stevens was allowed to get away with, that was a clear targeting from across the ice, and he smoked Kariya directly in the head. Scary stuff.

I thought it was awesome as a 12 year old watching Stevens light people up but today it's mostly stomach churning watching that clip again.
It's odd to look back on it now, but at the time brain damage from stuff like that was viewed so differently. Like you say, thinking back to the days of rock 'em sock 'em videos, it was always great seeing the guys get their heads nearly taken off. That kind of stuff just isn't as palatable to me these days.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #33
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It wasn't just Stevens. He just happened to be the best at what was allowed at the time. If I'm not mistaken concussion research was non existent back then.

Sure it is insanely easy to vilify players for their actions in hindsight but how can person be held accountable for playing within the rules of the era? Responsibility goes up the ladder to the league.

How about the fact that after that hit the team allowed Karyia back out on the ice. Or any subsequent concussion after that?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 01:08 PM   #34
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stevens was Lady Byng material compared to Mark Messier
Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #35
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Stevens ended careers. At the time he was basically doing his job, and I think everyone knew it. "Keep your head up!"

But to hear that Karyia is mentally operating in the 25th percentile of his age group... that kind of life altering brain damage transcends sport.

The long term effects are so clear now. I loved rock em sock em hockey. But the human cost is simply brutal.
I couldn't tell from that interview if he had permanent brain damage or if he was able to regain it. Could you? Not that it matters, it's horrible none the less.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #36
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It wasn't just Stevens. He just happened to be the best at what was allowed at the time. If I'm not mistaken concussion research was non existent back then.

Sure it is insanely easy to vilify players for their actions in hindsight but how can person be held accountable for playing within the rules of the era? Responsibility goes up the ladder to the league.

How about the fact that after that hit the team allowed Karyia back out on the ice. Or any subsequent concussion after that?
It was known that concussions were bad you back then. Smoking too, iirc. However, there was a lot of victim blaming back then. It was all about keeping your head up and being a good headhunter was praised.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #37
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I couldn't tell from that interview if he had permanent brain damage or if he was able to regain it. Could you? Not that it matters, it's horrible none the less.
No, but it's a kind of implied when he mentions how he's testing in the bottom 25th percentile of his age group for brain functionality. If not permanent, it's at least long term.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #38
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Stevens was Lady Byng material compared to Mark Messier
True. Messier is the most talented goon to make the HoF.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interview , kariya , tsn