Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaProfessor View Post
Nabil has hosted a few times so people that are surprised probably don't actually watch Sportscentre that often. I think he does a great job. I've never seen the other guy to be honest. The funniest part about all of this is that these two guys are more well spoken than any of the idiots posting on Twitter about foreigners and moving to the middle east, etc.
Nabil is actually really eloquent, I like him, his delivery is really smooth and his commentary is to the point with a touch of humour.

I really like O'Toole and Onrait, but they can be a bit over the top sometimes. Their highs are high but their lows are really low too. That said, they've had me in stitches more than a few times.

Who was that sportscaster on Sportsnet that was absolutely God-Awful? I forget his name but he would always say crap like 'Top Shelf where momma keeps the cookies' and 'what a goal by the Coppernian one!'

That guy needed to be taken out back and shot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #42
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Listen to you guys... "oh, those foreigners, they're so well spoken and eloquent"... So, what you're saying is, they don't sound brown?

Racists.

Also re: the sportsnet guy, do you mean Don Taylor? "He hits with a scowl on his face! But he also barbeques with a scowl on his face. So I wouldn't read too much into that!"
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #43
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Man what's more ######ed is the sheer amount of people that don't know the difference between Arab/Middle Eastern and South Asian.
The internet exposes these idiots all the time. Typically, it's the reverse though. I see people mistaking Indians and Pakistanis for Middle Easterners. Or even mixing up Arabs and Persians (as well as other Iranian groups of people).
Old 02-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
Listen to you guys... "oh, those foreigners, they're so well spoken and eloquent"... So, what you're saying is, they don't sound brown?

Racists.

Also re: the sportsnet guy, do you mean Don Taylor? "He hits with a scowl on his face! But he also barbeques with a scowl on his face. So I wouldn't read too much into that!"
They sound like Sportscasters.

And yeah, Don Taylor. I hate that guy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #45
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Flames Fan View Post
You call that racist?

You should have seen the hash tag that was floating around when Obama was elected for his second term...
Saw this on a bumpersticker in Denver:

"We have monkeys in the Denver zoo and a monkey in the Washington white house".

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #46
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The internet exposes these idiots all the time. Typically, it's the reverse though. I see people mistaking Indians and Pakistanis for Middle Easterners. Or even mixing up Arabs and Persians (as well as other Iranian groups of people).
Arabs and Persians I can understand. It's inexcusable, but understandable. Both cultures are similar enough, the religions are similar and the languages look and sound similar to North Americans (though technically Farsi is more similar to English than it is to Arabic, but that's another argument altogether). Arabs and Indians/Pakistanis/Sri Lankans/Bengalis is just pure ignorance. Different cultures, religions, languages, alphabet, food, etc. That's on top of the fact that South Asians don't look Arab at all. It's like confusing an Italian with a Norwegian because they're close enough to being the same thing. In fact Italians are more similar to Scandinavians than Arabs are to South Asians.

I remember growing up, a lot of white people would be surprised when they hear that I'm Arab, because "I don't look Arab". Then I would introduce them to a bunch of other Arabs and their reaction would be something like "there's no way you guys are all Arab". It would just confirm to me that what they have in their mind as "Arab" is actually South Asian.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #47
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Welcome to Sportscenter with your hosts Saddam and Osama made me chuckle, they can't even tell the difference between Arabs, and East Indian. Idiots.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #48
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There actually is a Punjabi broadcast team for Hockey Night in Canada, I've always wanted to watch and see what it is like
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #49
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Twitter was always a bad idea. I wish it would die.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #50
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Of the ones that they highlighted on yahoo I thought a lot of them weren't racist... they were racial (and not particularily amusing) but I don't consider the mere observation of race as racism unless it comes along with implicit or strongly implied sense of imparted inferiority or denegration.
As someone that does have brown skin, when I saw them on TSN I turned to my wife and said "two brown guys on SportsCenter, what has this world come too!!!"

My wife chuckled.

Of course my comments were meant to be cheap humour and nothing more. I think a few of the tweets were along the same line.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #51
C-COOP
Draft Pick

Quote:
Arabs and Persians I can understand. It's inexcusable, but understandable. Both cultures are similar enough, the religions are similar and the languages look and sound similar to North Americans (though technically Farsi is more similar to English than it is to Arabic, but that's another argument altogether). Arabs and Indians/Pakistanis/Sri Lankans/Bengalis is just pure ignorance. Different cultures, religions, languages, alphabet, food, etc. That's on top of the fact that South Asians don't look Arab at all. It's like confusing an Italian with a Norwegian because they're close enough to being the same thing. In fact Italians are more similar to Scandinavians than Arabs are to South Asians.

I remember growing up, a lot of white people would be surprised when they hear that I'm Arab, because "I don't look Arab". Then I would introduce them to a bunch of other Arabs and their reaction would be something like "there's no way you guys are all Arab". It would just confirm to me that what they have in their mind as "Arab" is actually South Asian.

I think most of these tweets were meant with humour and not hatred in mind. Same jokes we would make if there were 2 white guys announcing the And1 Streetball tournament.

FYI, students are taught ZERO about Arabs and Indians/Pakistanis/Sri Lankans/Bengalis in school here. They are not even on the radar here. So instead of getting pissed off and calling people out, use it is a teaching opportunity to explain the differences.

I would not move to Pakistan then get angry at those people if they thought I was from South Carolina instead of Canada.
C-COOP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C-COOP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #52
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I've always thought the way brown people in this country embraced hockey is amazing. Watch a game in Vancouver, it's great.

btw, what's with Dome Beers and his stupidity, Locke and Jiri both mentioned him in this thread too, what's the history I'm missing?
He’s the guy that ran a campaign to have SN dump PeteL and then had the arrogance to after the fact take credit for the dismissal – and rejoice in it.

He represents everything wrong with the Internet – a guy that feels he can say anything he wants because he can hide behind his keyboard.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #53
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
He’s the guy that ran a campaign to have SN dump PeteL and then had the arrogance to after the fact take credit for the dismissal – and rejoice in it.

He represents everything wrong with the Internet – a guy that feels he can say anything he wants because he can hide behind his keyboard.
is he still on the board?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #54
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post

Yeah, ######canoe to the max.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #55
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
is he still on the board?
No we banned him.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #56
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

You guys should have seen ESPN the other day, they had white guys covering NBA games.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #57
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have to be honest when i saw these 2 dudes Nabil and Gurdeep i thought wtf is this where are the regular guys. Where is Jay and Dan?

TSN could have put Wayne and Mario to cover the hockey and would have thought the same thing wtf is this where is Jay and Dan.

Honestly TSN had to realize they were bound to get some internet slamming and on a racist tip towards Gurdeep and Nabil.
Doesn't mean it is right but don't be naive to see that its not going to happen TSN.

Just go on youtube and look up anything & then take note of the cesspool of racist comments that exists there even though the subject has nothing to do with race.

After all this i'm still left wondering Why weren't Jay and Dan on?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #58
Halfcreek
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man what's more ######ed is the sheer amount of people that don't know the difference between Arab/Middle Eastern and South Asian.
While I appreciate the sentiment of your post - using the word "######ed" as a derogatory term kind of ruins your good intentions. It may not be racists, but it is prejuduiced against people with disabilities.
Halfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #59
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Random people on twitter: racist.
Russel Peters/ Dave Chappelle on stage in front of thousands: hillarious.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #60
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Random people on twitter: racist.
Russel Peters/ Dave Chappelle on stage in front of thousands: hillarious.
Comparing Dave Chappelle to Russel Peters should be illegal
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tsn