Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2022, 09:52 PM   #2321
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Did they not do this digging before the leadership race? Or did their journalistic integrity get in the way that they felt they would have had to do it for all 27 candidates or whatever?
Wouldn't be surprised if the NDP has dug up a treasure trove big enough to leak 5 of her moronic comments every day until election day.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:21 PM   #2322
Delgar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status...2Jrp8M81Q&s=19

Smith commenting on Jim Prentice not running in Calgary-Elbow, in 2014.
Delgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:49 PM   #2323
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

She's a greasy hypocrite, too? Someone bring me my fainting couch.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 10:50 PM   #2324
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
I wouldn’t count on that. I’ve voted conservative for at least the last 25 years and won’t be voting for any party led by Danielle Smith.
Yeah, I've pretty consistently voted for conservative parties and I won't vote for a party led by her. She's certifiable. I'm definitely not a natural NDP voter, and if there was an election today I'd absolutely vote NDP.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2022, 01:06 AM   #2325
14Roman14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
There were 'freedom' protestors at the corner of 4th Street in Mission on Monday. I pointed at them from the liquor store and told the cashier that there's more flags in that group than combined brain cells, and everyone in line laughed. It's too easy.
Are you even listening to yourself?

These people have a different viewpoint than you for sure, but one doesn’t have to go out of your way to belittle anyone.

What a bully mentality. I was buying liquor and pointed and made fun of the people outside and then the people by me laughed and made me feel good about myself for trying to make them look bad. I must be on the right side of history because those laughs allowed my self righteousness to prosper.

Many in this group seem to love feeling like they can feel very self righteous and that anyone with a different viewpoint is just stupid. It’s almost like they are now fighting to be able to treat others poorly without consequence. They seem to get off weirdly on the fact that they weren’t discriminated against and that others were and that they were upper class in those situations. I think it scares many with smith calling out and planning on changing things so people can’t lose their status in society, because deep down those people enjoyed the feeling of power and the platform to belittle others.

Maybe this time the ask was something you were ok with. At some point if governments were able to continue with segregated society, the ask may not be something you are comfortable with and I hope people treat you inclusively at that time.
14Roman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:14 AM   #2326
14Roman14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Tell me you are clueless without tell me you are clueless
Are you actually ok with Gondek and others jumping up and down yelling white supremacy and racism? I get it if they don’t like the comment and want to keep fighting for the right to have a segregated society in the future but it wasn’t limited to white people.

They do realize that there were folks from all walks of life including the ones they specifically listed who were shunned and shamed and segregated right?

It’s not like there was a card for vax status and an exemption card that bypassed it if you weren’t white.
14Roman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:22 AM   #2327
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, it's been a weird few years in this province. I grew up being frustrated and upset at how we're viewed here, and defended our people against the rest of Canada. But these days, it's a sad realization that our province is actually inhabited by a signifiant population of half wits and old, dumb conservatives that will justify a conservative vote no matter what happens.

Heartbreaking, really. We could be so much more as a province.
We have two women vie for the premiership, our two major cities voted in mayors that are traditionally white, Fata what the rest of Canada thinks.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 10-15-2022 at 01:26 AM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:27 AM   #2328
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Roman14 View Post

These people have a different viewpoint than you for sure, but one doesn’t have to go out of your way to belittle anyone.

What a bully mentality. I was buying liquor and pointed and made fun of the people outside and then the people by me laughed and made me feel good about myself for trying to make them look bad. I must be on the right side of history because those laughs allowed my self righteousness to prosper.

Many in this group seem to love feeling like they can feel very self righteous and that anyone with a different viewpoint is just stupid. It’s almost like they are now fighting to be able to treat others poorly without consequence. They seem to get off weirdly on the fact that they weren’t discriminated against and that others were and that they were upper class in those situations. I think it scares many with smith calling out and planning on changing things so people can’t lose their status in society, because deep down those people enjoyed the feeling of power and the platform to belittle others.

Maybe this time the ask was something you were ok with. At some point if governments were able to continue with segregated society, the ask may not be something you are comfortable with and I hope people treat you inclusively at that time.
Nah. No one is forcing them to take a vaccine, there are no more mandates. Nothing to protest. Literally just a waste of time and space. Frankly, it's embarrassing at this point.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:59 AM   #2329
Hatter
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m ashamed to admit I voted for the Wildrose when Danielle Smith was the leader of that party years and years ago. Fool me once.

Maybe I was completely ignorant, but I can’t believe she was this much of a nutjob back then. The floor crossing gamble was silly, but at least the government at the time didn’t seem like they were absolutely inept. Why are Covid vaccines even a discussion anymore? Most people got them, and the ones who didn’t are back to life as normal after a brief interrupt. Let’s move on. We have real issues in this province to fix.

Kenney stunk and it seems Smith is significantly worse.

Did the classic Lougheed PC’s just completely disappear?
Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hatter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2022, 02:00 AM   #2330
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not saying I agree with Muta and his original post, but like it or not people expressing views related to or similar to the convoys back in January are not going to get tons of support from a large portion of Canada. You complain that Muta expressed a 'bully mentality' when that is exactly how many felt about the original convoy protestors. I'm pretty sure the people of downtown Ottawa felt like they were being bullied as well.

Right or wrong, the convoy protestors acted in a way that garnered a lot of hate to their cause. It's only natural now that some people in society will look down upon them (or others protesting in a similar fashion).

People have the right to express themselves in this country, but that doesn't mean they're free from ridicule. Free expression goes both ways.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:10 AM   #2331
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
I mean what alternative would you have preferred? As I said in a previous post, modern society has always been about balancing individual rights with collective security/safety. The pandemic was this on steroids.

Covid presented society (and the governments of the time) with an unprecedented challenge that they were ill-equipped to handle. Government leaders were presented with terrible possibilities related to the spread of Covid and imposed measures that they thought might help. I'm not saying everything that was done was right or just, but it's incredibly disingenuous to look back now with hindsight and judge the actions of governments in a time of crisis.

I'm fairly confident Kenney (and other government leaders) really did not want to impose any restrictions or mandates but did them because the alternative could have resulted in mass spread of the virus and the overloading of our healthcare system.

So if you're now saying that the government should never have imposed these restrictions/mandates, than that's fine. But you need to understand you're actions would have likely overloaded the healthcare system and led to much more hardship in our society. Kenney did what he had to without actually limiting anyone's rights. I understand you feel like your rights were limited, but they weren't.

Last edited by b1crunch; 10-15-2022 at 02:13 AM.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to b1crunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2022, 07:13 AM   #2332
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This isn't about a different viewpoint, it's about different choices. And it's not like you chose onion rings and we chose french fries. Your choice has a negative effect on society(and that choice contributed to the death and suffering of others), which makes it a selfish one. Why do you keep ignoring that, pretending like there is some equivalency?
Old 10-15-2022, 07:29 AM   #2333
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
You're whistlin' the same pathetic rusty dog whistle as Danielle Smith. Invoking segregation - which was a very real, horrible and specific thing (read a book) - when describing the merry band of idiots that are anti-vaxxers is transparently manipulative and stupid.

Now go ahead and give me the definition of segregation as just another word for separation, and oh look at me I'm just dogpiling on poor you and twisting your words and it is kinda the same though isn't it, what black people went through and also the poor convoy people? Shaddup.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2022, 08:06 AM   #2334
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is quite interesting in the context of her statements on Residential Schools, and lots of Russian disinformation.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:08 AM   #2335
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
This isn't about a different viewpoint, it's about different choices. And it's not like you chose onion rings and we chose french fries. Your choice has a negative effect on society(and that choice contributed to the death and suffering of others), which makes it a selfish one. Why do you keep ignoring that, pretending like there is some equivalency?
Yup.

For all this waxing about treating people with respect, kindness of differing viewpoints, etc etc, it sure seems to be lacking towards people like, well, in my family - seniors, people with significant health issues, etc.

Respect and kindness for me, but not for thee indeed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2022, 08:12 AM   #2336
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Hey Alberta healthcare workers, Ontario is calling

https://globalnews.ca/news/9197823/d...-embarassment/

Quote:
Following the comments, the CEO of CHEO, a pediatric health-care and research centre in Ottawa, took to Twitter in an attempt to attract any disaffected healthcare workers in Alberta looking for a new opportunity elsewhere.
Quote:
Good morning Alberta healthcare workers, Alex Munter tweeted.
We think racism is bad, immunization is good, and we love occupational health and safety,” the tweet continued. “Come join us.
https://twitter.com/AlexMunter/statu...mbarassment%2F
Superflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2022, 08:14 AM   #2337
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

So you agree with people blocking hospitals, bullying doctors and nurses on the street, blocking borders and businesses… all while restrictions are over… but laughing at someone is too far?

Do you listen to yourself? Aren’t you ashamed? Or are you going to ignore this post too because it’s not easy to respond while feigning some righteous indignation? You understand that everyone sees you right?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2022, 09:09 AM   #2338
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing the anti-vaxxers, anti restriction, Danielle Smiths of the world can never seem to explain is how they would deal with the increased infecting rates and hospitalizations of following through with their freedom policies. I think it's a pretty big failure of those in media to grill them on that. The science, and capacity of our system was pretty clear that they couldn't handle that. "OK, so we have on mask requirements, no vaccine requirements, and no restrictions on gathering sizes. Reality dictates our hospitals would be overwhelmed, staff would not be available to work due to sickness...how would you navigate that?"

I've yet to hear an answer, because there isn't one. So it's disappointing they get away with repeating the same tragically disastrous ideas, and sometimes get the general public to nod along and think "ya, we did go to far..." as if Jason Kenney would have had more restrictions than absolutely necessary for survival.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #2339
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzz View Post
one thing the anti-vaxxers, anti restriction, danielle smiths of the world can never seem to explain is how they would deal with the increased infecting rates and hospitalizations of following through with their freedom policies. I think it's a pretty big failure of those in media to grill them on that. The science, and capacity of our system was pretty clear that they couldn't handle that. "ok, so we have on mask requirements, no vaccine requirements, and no restrictions on gathering sizes. Reality dictates our hospitals would be overwhelmed, staff would not be available to work due to sickness...how would you navigate that?"

i've yet to hear an answer, because there isn't one. So it's disappointing they get away with repeating the same tragically disastrous ideas, and sometimes get the general public to nod along and think "ya, we did go to far..." as if jason kenney would have had more restrictions than absolutely necessary for survival.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1581221107809783809
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2022, 11:03 AM   #2340
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not being flippant, but I think some of it is, well, death.

We saw some commentary at the start, "its a 70-80 year old, they've lived a good life", or "it doesn't matter anyway, they were going to die soon from something else", or "well, they shouldn't have gone out, they should just stay at home", "should a hospital bed go to that old person or person with pre-existing issues, or to a younger etc person", etc.

Last edited by RedHot25; 10-15-2022 at 11:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post: