Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #21
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Spoiler!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks like the roster of a team that's tanking. I wonder how Kane feels about wasting what's left of his career on this? At least it's a short season so they can stink for 50+ games, pick high and maybe retool a bit next offseason.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:36 AM   #23
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

It's just a cycle. We're not talking no good as in no hope ever and mismanagement.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #24
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I always try to find the silver lining in things, at least this dumpster fire of a season is shortened. Short term pain for a high pick and long term gain.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #25
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hawks need to rebuild IMO, so if I was a Hawks fan, I would understand this horrible lineup is a necessary evil and when things got bad, I'd just watch one of the cup runs.

Like Holy heck is it tough to feel sorry for the Hawks.
Geeoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #26
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if they had Toews and Dach, that's still one weak roster!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #27
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Chicago is the type of team that wins lotteries. Like LA and NY, I wouldn’t be surprised to see things move quickly.

In their history, the only time the 'Hawks "won" the lottery, was a year where there was no consensus 1st overall. Kane was criticized as "too small" and a poor defender before the pick.

And I don't think you can look at this lineup (which is the way they practiced on Monday), and say that they are one super rookie away from contention.

I am, firmly, opposed to the concept of "tanking" , and do hope that some of the gambles step up.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:37 AM   #28
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know that line up sucks, but man, would I still trade Blackhawks situation for the Flames if it meant we got to celebrate multiple championships in the past 10 years. Heck, if it was past 30 years, I'd still think it was worth it.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #29
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Spoiler!

Woof!
Old 01-12-2021, 09:41 AM   #30
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I know that line up sucks, but man, would I still trade Blackhawks situation for the Flames if it meant we got to celebrate multiple championships in the past 10 years. Heck, if it was past 30 years, I'd still think it was worth it.
The team would also have Toews and Soderberg on it without those issues arising, and that would make it significantly stronger. You're absolutely right though: in the cap world there is a long term cost associated with building and maintaining a competitive roster. Chicago is in a bad situation now, but they're paying for the 3 cups they won. If we were good enough to win 3 more cups in the next decade i would eagerly trade for the following decade of mediocrity.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:47 AM   #31
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I bet this lineup still beats the Oilers.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #32
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just have to take the positives out of this, that's all.

1) You still get to watch one of the league's more exciting players in Kane every night.
2) It is a shortened season, so at least it will be a shortened season of pain.
3) You will end up following the draft a lot more than usual, and that brings a different sense of excitement.
4) They will surprise you on some nights.

When the Flames tore things down and started rebuilding, I was surprised at how good they were. There were lots of fun to watch games throughout that first season, and it didn't go unnoticed. I remember on a few occasions all the fans in the Saddledome gave the team standing ovations. It wasn't such a terrible season, and though there were many more losses than wins, there were many exciting games still. The worst happened in that shortened season, and hopefully for you, the worst will happen in this shortened season as well.

Even if this season ends up being terrible in every way for you and doesn't bring you any enjoyment, then it is simply part of the story and history of your fan experience. The one thing that you have is an owner that wants to win and cares about winning, not just saving a buck, so things will be different than the last 'dark time' in your franchise's history. You can watch your team struggle and lose most nights, but it will just make the good seasons that much better and more enjoyable later.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately you cant just play against Edmonton for the whole season.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #34
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Unfortunately you cant just play against Edmonton for the whole season.

Sadly, my guys don't get to play Edmonton at all!

(Also sad that there are no H2H matchups with your guys to have spirited game threads, with my friends here at CP!)
Old 01-12-2021, 11:05 AM   #35
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
You just have to take the positives out of this, that's all.

The one thing that you have is an owner that wants to win and cares about winning, not just saving a buck, so things will be different than the last 'dark time' in your franchise's history.
Cal...the sad thing, for me, is I have no confidence in Stan Bowman, being in charge of a rebuild. I feel that he gets far too much credit for a well constructed team that he inherited. He has made poor contract decisions. His trades have mostly been salary dump panic moves. He was allowed to scapegoat a future HOF coach, that he stuck with a badly flawed roster.

I feel that he has been able to skate on his father's reputation, despite his own mistakes.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #36
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hawks have won enough Cups. So, meh.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #37
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Toews, Soderberg, Dach and all of a sudden Strome becomes the 4th center. Changes the look of the team a lot. And no matter how much Seabrooke has fallen back he still is a top 4 dman on most teams.

The weakest area is really the goalies (Subban - brutal since year one)
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #38
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Once upon a time the Toews/Kane tandem was thought of as equal, if not superior to their Crosby/Malkin counterparts out east. Kane is still at a similar level as the Pens guys, Toews not so much. but even if he were, they've clearly done a considerably poorer job with the support cast to keep the contention window open.

that being said, the Pens upcoming dark period will easily rival what they went through in the mid 80's and early 00's. we'll see if they once again get the generational player rebuild.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #39
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #40
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Once upon a time the Toews/Kane tandem was thought of as equal, if not superior to their Crosby/Malkin counterparts out east. Kane is still at a similar level as the Pens guys, Toews not so much. but even if he were, they've clearly done a considerably poorer job with the support cast to keep the contention window open.

that being said, the Pens upcoming dark period will easily rival what they went through in the mid 80's and early 00's. we'll see if they once again get the generational player rebuild.
Excellent case comparison IMO. Both have built rosters based off of multiple consecutive top 5 picks and then solid late round drafting + acquisitions to round off the squads. I'd say we have another 5 years yet of tracking to determine the support cast and contention window results though... for all we know toews comes roaring back and the hawks are a low seed threat again. Malkin or Crosby could face a limiting injury. There's still time. If you had asked this question in 2013 it would have seemed like Chicago was built better.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: