Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #3741
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only guy I can say truly made a comeback after it looked like he was done was Eric Staal, but he never got all the way back to his former status of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #3742
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s still early but that’s a whole lot of “meh” outside of their top 4 forwards (not shown is Josh Archibald who has one goal in six games, and James Neal who put up a -2 in his first game yesterday). They’re going to need a couple of those guys to start scoring because McDavid is only going to get so many hat tricks this year.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 05:03 PM   #3743
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Part of the problem, is when you have coaches double and triple shifting the stars whenever they need offense, the other guys on the bench realize that the coaches don't trust them and part of them puts on their Frack you, I'm getting paid mind set.

I wouldn't doubt there isn't resentment in that room at this point towards Tippett, McDavid and Draisaitl.

Did you ever wonder why good free agents rarely go there? Because if they're not top 6 guys they don't play.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 05:10 PM   #3744
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

and then they get thrown under the bus anyway
Old 01-23-2021, 07:07 PM   #3745
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Part of the problem, is when you have coaches double and triple shifting the stars whenever they need offense, the other guys on the bench realize that the coaches don't trust them and part of them puts on their Frack you, I'm getting paid mind set.

I wouldn't doubt there isn't resentment in that room at this point towards Tippett, McDavid and Draisaitl.

Did you ever wonder why good free agents rarely go there? Because if they're not top 6 guys they don't play.
Hard to get a better payday as well, when your ice time and points are limited.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #3746
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
The only guy I can say truly made a comeback after it looked like he was done was Eric Staal, but he never got all the way back to his former status of course.
I think you could make arguments for Dustin Brown and Zach Parise.
Brown in particular had four consecutive sub-30 point seasons. He then followed that with 36, 61 (career high), 51 and 35 point seasons. At 36 years, old he has 3 points in 5 games so far this season.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #3747
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

It’s still early but that’s a whole lot of “meh” outside of their top 4 forwards (not shown is Josh Archibald who has one goal in six games, and James Neal who put up a -2 in his first game yesterday). They’re going to need a couple of those guys to start scoring because McDavid is only going to get so many hat tricks this year.
"If Kahun had only scored 12 goals this season we would have made the playoffs"

Book it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 10:55 PM   #3748
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I think you could make arguments for Dustin Brown and Zach Parise.
Brown in particular had four consecutive sub-30 point seasons. He then followed that with 36, 61 (career high), 51 and 35 point seasons. At 36 years, old he has 3 points in 5 games so far this season.
Brown is also a liability if he has to engage with anyone in the neutral zone. He gets by with position and their power play.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:21 PM   #3749
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kyle Turris was putting up .66 PPG just 3 years ago. Talk about falling off a cliff.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:07 AM   #3750
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

This is purely anecdotal, but its always been that way with the Oilers. Its not even that they dont trust anyone else to play, but when you're riding the stars hard the rest of the team takes their foot off the gas.

The same thing happened when Hall was there. Everyone was expecting him to do everything and so their compete level dropped like a rock.

They've basically taken the same attitude and mainlined it.

"Why should I work hard when Connor and Leon have it taken care of?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #3751
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Exactly why do Oiler fans think the schedule is unfair to them?

(other than the fact that they don't get to play the Oilers 9 times)
Don't know, but as has been the norm forever, I see the Oilers are getting the Jets on the second game of a back to back tonight. Their fans have absolutely no reason to bitch and complain about their butter soft scheduling.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #3752
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

E=NG IX: Maybe it is the goddamn water!
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #3753
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Even the categories where the Oilers are "leading" the league by a huge margin are NO GOOD!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jaybo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #3754
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Oy.... and that's by a fairly substantial margin as well. Whole lotta no good!
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #3755
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is purely anecdotal, but its always been that way with the Oilers. Its not even that they dont trust anyone else to play, but when you're riding the stars hard the rest of the team takes their foot off the gas.

The same thing happened when Hall was there. Everyone was expecting him to do everything and so their compete level dropped like a rock.

Sure your right, its purely a guess on my part. Based also on coaching and on playing.

First of all I don't think Connor is a good Captain or leader. A good captain doesn't complain about his linemates, his goal as Captain is to provide that leadership that encourages players, if the coach puts a guy on your line and your el superstar, then you should take that as a Captain's view and try to make that player better.

Now the ice time distribution isn't a Captain's decision, however a Captain needs to look at the dressing room and go to his coach as an advocate for the other players as part of monitoring moral and say "Hey coach, I'm playing nearly half a game, and your benching everyone for me when the games in the balance. Maybe the the players are resentful.

A good captain doesn't coast back on defense, doesn't do flybys of his own zone, he leads by example because he doesn't he can't sit there and make statements like "We need to play the right way" when he is not playing the right way.

The biggest disaster, take a supremely talented offensive player that's lazy defensively and doesn't put in the effort to improve it, and make him a Captain and cram a ton of ice time on him.

You could see it in the last game, when the whole lineup pretty much threw up their arms and quit after the first period. The Oilers have a talent problem, a depth problem, a goaltending problem, a coaching problem, and a leadership problem, and if/when they lose the game tonight expect the sh%t show to intensify.

I wouldn't want to play with Connor, how do you approach a Captain and say, hey maybe help us out on defense Captain? Hey Captain, stop crying about linemates?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 01-24-2021, 12:41 PM   #3756
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

The season starts as "Why should I work hard when Connor and Leon have it taken care of?" and after a few weeks it’s "Why should I work hard when Connor and Leon don’t?”
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 01:11 PM   #3757
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

They're moving Frankenberry to the top line.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1353428738994671616
Old 01-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #3758
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
They're moving Frankenberry to the top line.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1353428738994671616
Predicting a -2 and at least 5 shifts that look lazier than Dubois’ now famous shift.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:15 PM   #3759
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

That’s probably how many shifts he gets on the line. He won’t be there for long.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #3760
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing he gets a couple pts (despite being -2) and Oiler nation concludes he was the missing piece and the path to glory has been unfurled
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread