Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 01-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #3361
PaperBagger'14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I can't stand shaving anymore and at the same time I don't want a beard. Over the last few years I went from clean shaven daily to shaving every two or three days to once a week. I've tried various disposable razors, safety razors, trimmers and shavers and I just feel like I can't do this anymore. I use a pretty decent shaver now daily or every second day. It is pretty quick and it is pretty smooth but I find that on the neck it doesn't do a very good job. Maybe this is a stupid question but is there some sort of alternative out there for inhibiting facial hair growth? Lasers or something? I'd be willing to pay if I could have a smooth clean faces for weeks or months with very minor upkeep.
Learning the shape of your beard hair is important. Make sure you shave with the grain and it will help with getting a closer shave and not getting as many ingrown hairs
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:50 PM   #3362
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Burns your face.
Ya I only had to make that mistake once, man that night sucked. It was also pointless as Nair doesn't work on coarse facial hair

My recommendation to anyone that hates shaving is to get a shower mirror and do it there. I used to always battle with razor burn when shaving at the sink no matter what kind of razor I used, but doing it in the shower I can use the cheap Dorco 3-blade razors without issue. Takes a whopping 2-3 minutes to get clean shaven with no prep or cleanup

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 01-23-2021 at 11:54 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 11:54 PM   #3363
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1352725439962353665
Old 01-24-2021, 12:24 AM   #3364
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pre-shredded mozzarella? What the hell.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:31 AM   #3365
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
That is brand new information. Never thought of looking into it...

This #### grinds my gears.
I had crazy IBS. At least every couple days there was a clinching sprint to a toilet, but some days it was terrible. Like at least an hour on the can. .

Also I was very over weight. 6í1Ē 255 lbs.

This is 3 months ago, and 9 months before Iím supposed to be married this June. All I was really focused on at the time was weight loss. I promised the wife to be I wouldnít be a fatty on the day. Iíve lost a lot of weight before and fast, so I knew I could get it done. At least I hoped so, as Iím 46 now and getting up there.

I put myself on 1800 calories a day, spent 5 grand on a basement gym and do 2 hours of weight training 4 days a week. No bread. No pasta. No cereals. Gotta save those calories for protein rich foods.

Down 30 pounds in 2.5 months. Lifting close to my maxes I had in my 20ís/30ís. (old man strength is not a myth I have learned.) but most importantly, my IBS is literally gone. The only 2 times itís shown itís ugly head is on the 2 cheat days I ate some pizza.

I do believe part of my success is the fact I eat 0% probiotic yogurt and berries every morning for breakfast.

I seemingly cured my IBS by accident, when my goal was simply to drop weight, as I had expected to just live IBS until I die.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 12:35 AM   #3366
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
My recommendation to anyone that hates shaving is to get a shower mirror and do it there. I used to always battle with razor burn when shaving at the sink no matter what kind of razor I used, but doing it in the shower I can use the cheap Dorco 3-blade razors without issue. Takes a whopping 2-3 minutes to get clean shaven with no prep or cleanup
The cleanup is best part. Sucks needing glasses to see though.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #3367
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I had crazy IBS. At least every couple days there was a clinching sprint to a toilet, but some days it was terrible. Like at least an hour on the can. .

Also I was very over weight. 6í1Ē 255 lbs.

This is 3 months ago, and 9 months before Iím supposed to be married this June. All I was really focused on at the time was weight loss. I promised the wife to be I wouldnít be a fatty on the day. Iíve lost a lot of weight before and fast, so I knew I could get it done. At least I hoped so, as Iím 46 now and getting up there.

I put myself on 1800 calories a day, spent 5 grand on a basement gym and do 2 hours of weight training 4 days a week. No bread. No pasta. No cereals. Gotta save those calories for protein rich foods.

Down 30 pounds in 2.5 months. Lifting close to my maxes I had in my 20ís/30ís. (old man strength is not a myth I have learned.) but most importantly, my IBS is literally gone. The only 2 times itís shown itís ugly head is on the 2 cheat days I ate some pizza.

I do believe part of my success is the fact I eat 0% probiotic yogurt and berries every morning for breakfast.

I seemingly cured my IBS by accident, when my goal was simply to drop weight, as I had expected to just live IBS until I die.
Sounds like you cut out a ton of gluten as a side affect of reducing carbs. Have you ever been celiac tested?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:25 AM   #3368
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I guy I work wth mixes tomato soup and zoodles together, then sprinkles powdered parmesan on it.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:12 PM   #3369
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Ya I only had to make that mistake once, man that night sucked. It was also pointless as Nair doesn't work on coarse facial hair

For me it isn't even an issue of irritation or razor burn. I just hate shaving in general but I don't want to deal with a beard. I use my shaver in the shower now as is and if/when I use a razor it is in the shower as well. I would just be happy with the peace of mind of knowing I never, or very rarely, would have to shave again.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:12 PM   #3370
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Wow, read all the BP's stuff in here, while coincidentally eating a BP's pizza. Wow, that stuff was good when tipsy after a hockey game, with some nostalgia mixed in. It was horrendous. It has that frozen pizza from the grocery store texture to it, like everything is kind of "separate" if that makes sense.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #3371
Cappy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The Anglo-American (Anglo-Protestant?) culinary scene is one of the greatest travesties of food.

It bothers me this woman has an apparently great kitchen while mostly cooking this trash.

Also, it reminds me of the Robert Pattison GQ article of him making pasta:https://www.gq.com/story/robert-patt...ion-june-cover
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:41 PM   #3372
Cappy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Wow, read all the BP's stuff in here, while coincidentally eating a BP's pizza. Wow, that stuff was good when tipsy after a hockey game, with some nostalgia mixed in. It was horrendous. It has that frozen pizza from the grocery store texture to it, like everything is kind of "separate" if that makes sense.
I knew someone that worked at BPs growing up. At one time they made the pizza's fresh. I do not think they do anymore.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:44 PM   #3373
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I knew someone that worked at BPs growing up. At one time they made the pizza's fresh. I do not think they do anymore.

Wow, really? That makes sense then. They totally have a "heated up" feeling to them, and I swear they were way better in the mid 2000's after hockey.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:18 PM   #3374
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Crust is for sure fake. It used to actually taste good. Last time I had a perogy pizza a couple years ago it was exactly as you described jay. The toppings almost slid right off.

I had a perogy pizza somewhere else pre-covid and it was pretty decent but now I can’t remember where that was.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:29 PM   #3375
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to be 'that guy' because I really dont have anything against Boston Pizza in the grand scheme of things. I generally believe that its okay-to-good for what it is and its price point.

But if there is one thing, one thing that BPs sucks at more than anything else, it is ironically Pizza.

It is the one thing I will never order from Boston Pizza.

Theres just a million better places for Pizza.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #3376
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
People have team meals and have to pay themselves??
Yeah, not celebratory team meals, but a bunch of people from work at a conference or at some work deal where everyone congregates. Must be nice to be living the Evander Kane lifestyle where you just walk out of restaurants and assume it's all paid for.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #3377
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Wow, really? That makes sense then. They totally have a "heated up" feeling to them, and I swear they were way better in the mid 2000's after hockey.
I grew up in a small town in BC in the 1990s, which meant there was a BPs there. The kitchen was at the front with a glass viewing area and every time we went there all the kids would go watch the pizzas being made after we ordered. The cooks would flip the dough up in the air and the kids would cheer. This was considered excitement before iPods. For birthdays you could book the kitchen and 10 kids could go in and make their own pizzas in front of the cooks. There is no way any of this was sanitary. I don't know if they made the dough themselves, or they bought it frozen and just let it proof . I'm pretty sure it was made in house.

I worked at the BPs in Westhills, and the dough came in frozen there. Very little food was actually prepped in house. I worked at a different restaurant in Calgary that made the dough from scratch when it first opened. After a couple years they started buying it frozen. It reduced prep time substantially, and made it easier to cook with, but the quality was substantially worse. Pizzas were one of the most ordered staff meals before the switch and nobody ordered it after.

I worked in development with the former CFO of BPs. He said their mission was to put a BPs in every small and medium sized town (bigger than a village) in Canada, because people go there for name recognition if they are travelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion
Sorry if this is a stupid thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #3378
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
I grew up in a small town in BC in the 1990s, which meant there was a BPs there. The kitchen was at the front with a glass viewing area and every time we went there all the kids would go watch the pizzas being made after we ordered. The cooks would flip the dough up in the air and the kids would cheer. This was considered excitement before iPods. For birthdays you could book the kitchen and 10 kids could go in and make their own pizzas in front of the cooks. There is no way any of this was sanitary. I don't know if they made the dough themselves, or they bought it frozen and just let it proof . I'm pretty sure it was made in house.

I worked at the BPs in Westhills, and the dough came in frozen there. Very little food was actually prepped in house. I worked at a different restaurant in Calgary that made the dough from scratch when it first opened. After a couple years they started buying it frozen. It reduced prep time substantially, and made it easier to cook with, but the quality was substantially worse. Pizzas were one of the most ordered staff meals before the switch and nobody ordered it after.

I worked in development with the former CFO of BPs. He said their mission was to put a BPs in every small and medium sized town (bigger than a village) in Canada, because people go there for name recognition if they are travelling.
Honestly, when I am on the road I almost always go to BPs. After spending all day on the road or at a site, its nice to be able to go have a couple beers and some food and watch sports and know exactly what the food is going to be like. Too often I will go elsewhere and the food can suck (not saying BP's is great, but its consistent).
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #3379
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The cleanup is best part. Sucks needing glasses to see though.
You don't need a mirror. Most guys are just used to USING one. But most of us know the shape and feel of our face, and after a couple practice goes, you'll basically never need a mirror again. I've not had a shower mirror in years, and can count on hand the number of times I've needed a post-shower touch-up with a razor.

Give it a try without, you may be surprised at how good you are with that razor without a mirror.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #3380
darockwilder
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
You don't need a mirror. Most guys are just used to USING one. But most of us know the shape and feel of our face, and after a couple practice goes, you'll basically never need a mirror again. I've not had a shower mirror in years, and can count on hand the number of times I've needed a post-shower touch-up with a razor.

Give it a try without, you may be surprised at how good you are with that razor without a mirror.
Same here. You don't need a mirror.