Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2021, 07:34 PM   #2521
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Tom Hanks new movie, News of the World, is excellent. Wife and I really enjoyed it. Helena Zengel, the young lady who plays opposite Tom was excellent.
Completely agree.
Great to spend a couple of hours with Hanks in a slow but compelling duster.
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hart50 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #2522
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Enjoyed One Night in Miami. It was quite engaging for a movie that takes place almost entirely in a hotel room.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:27 AM   #2523
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh just made a big post on tenet and for some reason didn’t post. So I’ll summarize.

Tenet: overall I thought it was a decent action movie. Not close to Nolan’s best though.

Nolan does suspense and sense of urgency well
Casting was great
Great visuals
Action scenes were down well and not choppy
Didn’t notice dialogue issues
Concept was relatively straightforward

Dislikes:
Character development
Pacing was too fast (is this due to short attention spans and focus on international audiences?)

Spoiler!
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:42 PM   #2524
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally saw Parasite and I quite enjoyed it. A few LOL moments for me as well. Enjoyed the unique storyline and this was even before the reveal!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2021, 08:35 PM   #2525
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I love a good John Grisham book adapted movie. This afternoon I watched "Runaway Jury"

A movie about rigging the vote and buying off the jury.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:41 PM   #2526
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Watched Rumblefish last night. What a great movie. Beautiful cinematography and flawless acting. Mickey Rourke as Motorcycle Boy may be one of the "coolest" performances ever. He really pulls off the"I don't even have to try" feel. Here's a clip of the gang fight which gives a good idea of the style of the movie.

savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 02:25 AM   #2527
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Finally saw Parasite and I quite enjoyed it. A few LOL moments for me as well. Enjoyed the unique storyline and this was even before the reveal!
I watched it recently too. Cool fun movie. Not sure about all the hype and it winning best film though. But still enjoyable.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-20-2021 at 02:43 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #2528
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW, anyone find that after watching Parasite, they feel the need to complete each sentence with a deep "Over"?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:14 AM   #2529
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Clint Eastwood's Changeling last night starring Angelina Jolie. What a great film. Absolutely love his style of directing and everything that goes along with it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #2530
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Loving Vincent last night. It's about a guy trying to deliver a letter to Vincent Van Gogh's brother after the artist's death. Each frame of the film was painted by hand to match Van Gogh's style making for a very trippy experience. This is worth the time, folks.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #2531
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I liked Tenet but it is the most Chris Nolan movie ever. Zero character development, super confusing, somewhat nonsensical, entertaining, a series of action set pieces only loosely tied together by the thinnest of plot threads, frenetic pacing and yet at times felt like it was overlong and dragged.

I’d rank it below Inception, Dunkirk, Momento and the first two Batman movies. It wasn’t a complete failure but it felt heartless. The action scenes felt like an excuse for him to overuse the backwards moving effects. Especially the end. It went on forever.

It was far too confusing for the tent pole crowd and not nearly cerebral enough for viewers who want to be challenged.

It was pretty cool at times but it was impossible to feel any emotional attachment to any of the characters. They had no depth and the audience was never given a reason to care about any of them. As the ending was approaching, I briefly wondered if it would end on a happy note or have a kind of twist downer ending. Then I realized I didn’t care if they failed and the bad guys won. I was only watching to find out more about the concept, not the fate of the characters.

And yes, the sound mixing was awful. Overbearing score, tons of characters wearing masks, muffled speaking, which was bad because basically the only thing the characters ever say is key exposition to explain the mind bending concepts.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-23-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #2532
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Wind River yesterday on Netflix and it was great. Much recommend. Do watch.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #2533
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I watched Wind River yesterday on Netflix and it was great. Much recommend. Do watch.
Sicario, Hell or High Water, Wind River and Yellowstone (tv). Sheridan is one of the few writer/directors who don't annoy me. Wind River went under the radar but is very solid.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #2534
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Other than often feeling like it’s being filmed far too tightly in I’ll say I quite enjoyed Possessor. Interesting concept of someone who takes over host bodies to perform assassinations and Cronenberg’s kid directed it. Definitely takes a page from dad’s body horror playbook. Bit artsy with the whole who are we really business and the pacing but would recommend. Nice change of pace.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #2535
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Other than often feeling like it’s being filmed far too tightly in I’ll say I quite enjoyed Possessor. Interesting concept of someone who takes over host bodies to perform assassinations and Cronenberg’s kid directed it. Definitely takes a page from dad’s body horror playbook. Bit artsy with the whole who are we really business and the pacing but would recommend. Nice change of pace.
Yeah, it's pretty neat. I've been impressed with Brandon Cronenberg so far. Antiviral was also a weird not-too-futuristic idea with creepy implications.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:49 AM   #2536
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brandon definitely is a chip off the old block as Possessor is a movie his dad could have made. It's a very interesting spin on assassination and visually one of the better movies I have seen in some time.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:32 AM   #2537
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only complaint about Possessor was there was no 4K release in Canada. It annoys me that in order to get a 4K copy of this Canadian film by a Canadian director I have to order from America.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:50 AM   #2538
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some Nostalgic movie recommendation time! My wife and I decided to re-watch all the Batman movies... I'm not sure why, we could definitely leave a few out and be all the better for it.

Batman - still good, but definitely not as good 30 years after release. Perhaps I'm not a fan of Tim Burton's style. Maybe it was too much comic book like and not quite movie style. It just isn't as good as I remembered but definitely not a bad movie.

Batman Returns - This is the one that made me think I don't like Tim Burton's style. Meh. In the future if I ever rewatch all the Batman movies I'd probably skip this one. It's not bad for a sequel but I enjoyed the first one much better. Maybe the next two makes this one seem good for a sequel.

Batman Returns and Batman & Robin. I haven't re-watched them yet. I don't need to do so in order to give a recommendation or not. They're terrible. I'm in for a good nap when we watch these.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #2539
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I re-watched Batman and Batman Returns a couple years ago. I remember Returns being one I didn't really like, but watching it again it was great. I thought the first was fantastic, too. Love the sound track.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #2540
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too really liked Returns on a rewatch. My only complaint was that anything with real live penguins should be excised from the film. Other than that, the score, design, cinematography, performances are all great. Dark and murky, but a nice combination of horror and joy running underneath.