Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-09-2019, 10:24 AM   #2141
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joker nominated for 4 Golden Globes including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Score. For sure this film will get an Oscar best picture nod now
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #2142
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1204859466606354435

Going to temper my excitement but imagine what a $200 million Flash movie would look like. 2022 we will get Black Panther 2, Guardians 3, Flash and Aquaman 2 Wetter is Better.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #2143
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1204859466606354435

Going to temper my excitement but imagine what a $200 million Flash movie would look like. 2022 we will get Black Panther 2, Guardians 3, Flash and Aquaman 2 Wetter is Better.
Thats not really the title...is it?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #2144
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats not really the title...is it?
Yup it will be the first DC movie to come after 2uicide 2quad
Old 12-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #2145
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shazam 2 has just been announced for April 1 2022, which brings us to 8 DC Films on the schedule.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1205216651735531520
Old 12-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #2146
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Man that list just does nothing for me. What have I become..
Old 12-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #2147
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Because it's all just so forced and sterile.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #2148
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In fairness....that list is grim.

Thats not to say that they'll all be bad...they most likely will be, but maybe...maybe not.

All of those movies could go either way.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-12-2019, 03:43 PM   #2149
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Because it's all just so forced and sterile.
Agreed.

That is the one thing that the MCU (at least up until Infinity War) will always have the advantage of, it didn't feel forced and it actually felt like it was something that grew and blossomed organically.

DC now won't really be able to do that since they already forced the big team up movie. And are now caught in a weird place where Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash are still kind of the same people from BvS and Justice League, but it looks like Batman and Superman aren't.

And even with this slate of movies announced it's still not really clear if this is actually a universe or just standalone movies.

I still think D2C should have just re-booted it all. They should have made a Justice League 2: Flashpoint that re-set the whole universe while allowing them to keep Gadot, Momoa, whatever characters they wanted in tact but introduce new Batman, Superman after the event.

These type of "re-boot" events happen in Comics all the time but it's never really been tried in superhero cinema. I feel like done right it could have actually been an interesting way to jump start their new vision.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:54 PM   #2150
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Agreed.

That is the one thing that the MCU (at least up until Infinity War) will always have the advantage of, it didn't feel forced and it actually felt like it was something that grew and blossomed organically.

DC now won't really be able to do that since they already forced the big team up movie. And are now caught in a weird place where Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and the Flash are still kind of the same people from BvS and Justice League, but it looks like Batman and Superman aren't.

And even with this slate of movies announced it's still not really clear if this is actually a universe or just standalone movies.

I still think D2C should have just re-booted it all. They should have made a Justice League 2: Flashpoint that re-set the whole universe while allowing them to keep Gadot, Momoa, whatever characters they wanted in tact but introduce new Batman, Superman after the event.

These type of "re-boot" events happen in Comics all the time but it's never really been tried in superhero cinema. I feel like done right it could have actually been an interesting way to jump start their new vision.

"None of that crazy BS happened...this is all new! Everything is new now!"

Old 12-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #2151
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

"None of that crazy BS happened...this is all new! Everything is new now!"
I think it's better than the current messy scenario where it's not really clear what is canon in this universe vs what is not.

They are making sequels of some titles (Aquaman and WW), fully rebooting others (Batman), and soft rebooting some (Suicide Squad).

At least with a bit of a "Flashpoint" type of story it could explain some of that, but my guess is instead we will just get a messy mish mash of films that overlap when they feel like it and won't when it's inconvenient.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #2152
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

God I hated the Flash in the Justice League. I wanted to see him burst into Flames and die half way through.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:28 PM   #2153
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I think it's better than the current messy scenario where it's not really clear what is canon in this universe vs what is not.

They are making sequels of some titles (Aquaman and WW), fully rebooting others (Batman), and soft rebooting some (Suicide Squad).

At least with a bit of a "Flashpoint" type of story it could explain some of that, but my guess is instead we will just get a messy mish mash of films that overlap when they feel like it and won't when it's inconvenient.
Embrace the Chaos. Revel in the mess and worship the filth.

Old 12-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #2154
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

BLACK ADAM: Dec 22, 2021 (because of actor)
THE SUICIDE SQUAD: Aug 6, 2021 (because of director)
BIRDS OF PREY: Feb 7, 2020 (because of Margot Robbie)
WONDER WOMAN 1984: Jun 5, 2020 (complete wild card)
THE BATMAN: Jun 25, 2021 (Pattison actually could be good?)
SHAZAM 2: Apr 1, 2022 (honestly, who knows)
THE FLASH: Jul 1, 2022 (Woody Allan as the Flash)
AQUAMAN 2: Dec 16, 2022 (the stakes are really low! Exciting!)

I tried to put them in order of how good I think they could possibly be, and it looks like they are ending on a really down note. Like Empire!
Old 12-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #2155
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Embrace the DC domination, it will make the next 3 years more fun! Healthy competition is good for Disney/Marvel, and if these 8 films do good then hopefully we get a proper Justice League film in 2023.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #2156
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Embrace the DC domination, it will make the next 3 years more fun! Healthy competition is good for Disney/Marvel, and if these 8 films do good then hopefully we get a proper Justice League film in 2023.
Normally I'd agree except...its like a Prizefighter heroically getting off the mat to continue the fight....after having been knocked out, hes already lost, everyone has left and the lights in the arena are off.

Think of it more like this:

This is an opportune moment for DC. Marvel wrapped up their immense story arc are moving along in untested waters with lesser-known characters and stories, this is DC's time to shine, their opportunity to swing the pendulum in their direction and generate some momentum.

This is a great time for DC to really gain a foothold in the market and....the best they've got is that list.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #2157
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Normally I'd agree except...its like a Prizefighter heroically getting off the mat to continue the fight....after having been knocked out, hes already lost, everyone has left and the lights in the arena are off.

Think of it more like this:

This is an opportune moment for DC. Marvel wrapped up their immense story arc are moving along in untested waters with lesser-known characters and stories, this is DC's time to shine, their opportunity to swing the pendulum in their direction and generate some momentum.

This is a great time for DC to really gain a foothold in the market and....the best they've got is that list.
Lol.

4 of the last 5 DC movies have all been considered major successes. They have a foot hold.

In what way is a Black Adam movie not a movie about a lesser character? They'll also be introducing all sorts of lesser characters in Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad 2. They should also 100% continue to keep up momentum with Aquaman, WW, and Shazam.

Personally, I'm pretty excited about the Shazam franchise. I would say - now that End Game has wrapped up - potentially more than any of the other Superhero franchises on the markets.

I detested the last Suicide Squad movie so much, that both Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad 2 will have to get great reviews for me to see. Batman and the Flash remain total question marks.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #2158
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the average movie fan really care what is "canon" and do they need a movie explaining why certain actors or characters are back and others are different?

People didn't like Justice League.
It seems they loved Aquaman. Same actor, same character.
Joker had nothing to do with anything and they liked it.

Some big movie that explained all this would be awful IMO.

Personally I will likely see a lot of these movies other than maybe Aquaman. I didn't much care for the first one. I will also be curious to see if they try to weave Superman into any of these.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #2159
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

If nothing else these make decent movies to watch on Netflix. Guilt free shut it off at any time type movies have their place.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #2160
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If nothing else these make decent movies to watch on Netflix. Guilt free shut it off at any time type movies have their place.
To watch on HBO Max, you mean.

I should probably give Shazam another chance. I was expecting a lighthearted movie, and the opening 30 minutes or however long I lasted was crushingly depressing.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 12-15-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote