Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #141
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

What streaming service are the Star Trek movies on these days? Netflix doesn't seem to have them any more and I'd love to watch a couple.

Also, to counter the "Enterprise is weak" argument, I'd rather it not be an indestructible flagship covered in plot armor. I also don't like it being destroyed immediately like in Beyond, but since it's a flagship it should be used in combat and take on the toughest enemies. Any ship should be able to be taken down by a clever attack too.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:46 PM   #142
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crave has them. No movies though.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #143
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Crave has them. No movies though.
Sorry, what? Crave has the movies or no? That was my original question - who has the rights to the movies?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #144
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some are free on Amazon Prime, not all of them though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #145
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Star Trek General Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Sorry, what? Crave has the movies or no? That was my original question - who has the rights to the movies?

Sorry misread your post. Crave all of the TV shows + Discovery. No one, as far as I can tell, has any Star Trek movies. I think Netflix has some of the JJ Abrams stuff for a bit.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #146
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other than the Abrams reboot (which is on Prime), the Star Trek movies aren't on any streaming service. You have to rent/buy them individually.

https://www.justwatch.com/ca/movie/s...-first-contact
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #147
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Amazon has Reboot 1, Insurrection, STII, and STIII
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #148
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

This is an awesome read

Spoiler!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #149
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a good read.

On another note though, it appears that association with Star Trek in any form has eventually becomes some sort of 'Mummy's Curse.'

They're dropping faster then red-shirts on an away team.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #150
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's so brilliant. It was the one thing that drove me a bit crazy in TNG, then got substantially worse in Voyager. But they kind of got away from it in DS-9 and Enterprise.

Every episode, they'd just try stuff.

Riker - "there's a breach in space time captain"
Picard - "Solutions people"
Data (ultimate cheat) - "We'll what if we release a high powered inverse tacyon stream through the main deflector"
Geordie - "Yeah we can try that, I'll just need to completely invent a buffer circuit"

Now this is where someone should have jumped in and said "Yeah, I looked at what you're proposing, and they didn't design the deflector array to do anything like that and the power alone would fuse the entire warp core"

But instead

Picard - "How long to do that"

Geordie - "I can have it done in 15 minutes"

This is again where a red shirt should have jumped in and said "Um can we run this through a simulator or something first, because you know warp core"

Instead nope- They just do things in 15 minutes that the most brilliant minds in Star Fleet didn't come up with, and they always did it untested.

Voyager had that in nearly every episode. The worst thing that ever happened was in the original star trek when someone got a unknown version of space herpes, and McCoy would just start shooting people with vaccines without testing them on rats or whatever.

I would have liked to have seen the cummulative effects of all of these modifications. Where the engineer opens a panel and all you see is a ton of cross wiring, a couple of coke cans jammed in and a paper clip holding the warp core together.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #151
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would have liked to have seen the cummulative effects of all of these modifications. Where the engineer opens a panel and all you see is a ton of cross wiring, a couple of coke cans jammed in and a paper clip holding the warp core together.

Poor Geordi. I don't know what was worse for him; finding out his favorite holo-screw was a total bitch in real life, or that she hated his work?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #152
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

We did see the result in the episode where the warp designer lady that Geordie was holodeck stalking came to the ship for real and she was mad that he’d Frankenstein’d her ship.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #153
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
-snip-

It's probably a lot like the area behind my stereo stack. It started out all nice and neat, and then I had to add something. And I kinda just let that dangle behind everything. Then I added a few more like that, then had to rip out the VCR, but just left the cables because they were tangled in the newer cables. Then I needed an HDMI switch, which just involved tugging the cables until they all reached. And so on. It works, but don't touch a GD thing. Basically like the Enterprise engineering room at this point.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:02 AM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If that Warp Core could talk. Its seen some despicable, unspeakable things...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #155
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Poor Geordi. I don't know what was worse for him; finding out his favorite holo-screw was a total bitch in real life, or that she hated his work?

That whole storyline, especially when she came on the ship for real was uber creepy, and not one of Geordie's better moments.

We know now that those googles probably had x-ray vision.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #156
Tabaracci_31
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Less than three weeks until Picard premiers. Who’s pumped?!

I rewatched The Undiscovered Country last week. I think it may be my favourite original cast movie. What a great finale for that cast and I like how they mirrored the political events of the era. “Guess who’s coming to dinner...”
Tabaracci_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #157
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am excited. I really hope it is awesome.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #158
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I hope its great, Star Trek needs a win here, Discovery has been to me a major disappointment.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #159
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very excited, my most anticipated show/movie of the year for sure.

And Undiscovered Country is fantastic. Christopher Plummer as a one eyed Shakespeare-quoting Klingon was a thing of casting brilliance.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #160
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Undiscovered country was one of my favorite Trek Movies

In terms of a general list for me

Star Trek VI UC - Allowed the crew to get old, great plot line of conspirators pushing for war on both sides. Fantastic performances by all, with Plummer being an inspired Klingon

Star Trek 2 -TWK - Again, a great story of sacrifice and aging. RM was great in his return as Khan. Shat and Nimoy were terrific.

Star Trek 3 - TSFS - "You Klingon Bastards, you killed my boy" Shatner's stumble backwards was inspired. A great villain in CL. Sadly the actor who played David died afterwards but he was great in this movie.

Star Trek First Contact - I'm torn on this movie, This was the start of the Picard and Data show where no one else mattered that much. It also went a long way in emasculating the Borg. When they were initially a pure hive mind they were terrifying. By putting in a hyper sexualized Queen they weren't quite as good.

Star Trek 4 TVH - I loved this movie, it only gets graded here because the previous movies were so strong. The first movie that took place without the enterprise. Great humor and writing throughout.

Star Trek - The remake with new actors. The actors were really good at playing their characters. The plot line featured a convoluted time travel story. But overall I thought the movie had a great deal of heart.

Star Trek Generations - It felt like a lot was shoe horned into this including Kirks love that wasn't Carol Marcus. There was a lot of cheese in this sandwhich. But it still involved most of the crew having some key roles.

Star Trek TMP - I look back on this with a lot of fondness because I loved the story line concept of a Probe returning to its home to seek out answers. The flaw was that it was just too plodding and the sets and costumes were colorless. They introduced us to the modern Klingons who were less jerks and more warriors.

Star Trek Beyond - It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great, it was kind of meh. I think they wasted the main villain who's plot was pretty nonsensical.

Star Trek into darkness - Never ever try to reboot Kahn, never and BC was really miscast

Star Trek V TFF - Awful, Shatners turn in the Directors chair was devestatingly bad. The characters were out of character, the nice bonding moments camping came across as forced. The villain was stupid. The only redeeming scene was Kirk asking God what he needs a Starship for.