Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #12841
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I don't really care if the Flames acquired forwards.

Before today, the clear need was goaltending. After today, the clear need is still goaltending. No point overpaying for other areas.
The goaltending market is nonexistent, so there really wasn't much to do.

The only trade that bugs me is the Stone trade. 9.5 mill is the going rate for a point-per-game, defensively-sound, locker room-leading, winger. The contract will take Stone right through his prime, and Vegas really didn't give up all that much to get him.
That trade was a huge win for Vegas. Stone is a top 5 RW in the NHL.
Exactly what comparables are you basing this on?
Old 02-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #12842
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Exactly what comparables are you basing this on?
Purely based on points, Jamie Benn and John Tavares. I would prefer Stone at his contract over Benn and Tavares at their contracts.
A tier below would be Voracek.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #12843
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
I'm ok too. Over the last two year nashville, jets, Vegas, caps and Minny have all given up first rounders to no avail (given tatar did nothing in the playoffs). I'm glad we're not one of them. The big fish trades rarely work out.

If valimaki does become that top pair guy then we'll look back thankful. It's nice that treliving is thinking with that level of foresight rather than a 'Forsberg' style trade.

Are you really comparing Martin Erat to Mark Stone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #12844
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think 9.5 for Stone is a bad deal at all. It isn't a 'team friendly discount', but it isn't an overpayment either. He is a game-breaker at both ends of the ice and gives you a tonne of effort every shift. Vegas definitely upgraded today. I consider him a franchise-level player.

With that being said, the Calgary Flames didn't improve (much) today, but they also didn't get worse in the short term OR the long term. They are currently the 2nd best team in the league according to the standings.

I wish Treliving was able to add something to the line-up - upgrading the 2nd RW spot or getting a stronger 2nd/3rd line centre - but this is the 2nd best team in the league right now. The safer play is to just see how this team performs in the playoffs, and further shape this team based off of that. Nyquist went for a song - but there was no chance Calgary would have been able to trade for him. Johansson was another player that went for a song - I would have liked the Flames to have been in on that one too, but for whatever reason they weren't.

I am actually glad - and also extremely interested - to know why the Zucker deal fell apart. I am not as big of a fan of his as some seemed to be, and would rather have packaged-up some more assets and get better quality.

I also think that Frolik will up his value in the off-season - entering the last year of his deal, and I am sure teams will notice him a bit more in the playoffs.

Should be a real good race to the playoffs. I just hope that the Flames don't match up against St. Louis - I am cheering for them to either get into another funk and drop out of the playoffs (not gonna happen) or just play into the third spot in the division. Let them wear themselves out against another big heavy team first.

Not a bad day. I am sure we as fans feel a bit disappointed that there wasn't a significant and exciting move today - I was really looking forward to one myself. However, standing pat when you have the 2nd best team in the league, but relatively untested in the playoffs, is not a bad move at all.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #12845
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little late to this party but I'm perfectly fine with the Flames going into the playoffs with this lineup. The asking prices were too high for the flavour-of-the-month type guys, and while it would have arguably made them better in the short term, there is a need to sign some of the existing players. It would've been cap hell had Stone signed that deal. The others were purely rentals and that wouldn't have been worth the compensation they went for. I'm happy as this team is good enough to contend for it without hugely sacrificing their future.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #12846
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, late as well to be able to post, but I think Flames did fine.

I do think Hayes was the most likely, then Simmonds, but both slipped away.

Zucker out of left field so that is a mystery to be solved but another example of stealth Treliving doing Treliving things. Having him and Neal and Backlund all for another 4+ years and all around $30m could’ve been a problem in a few years, cap wise.

Stone is 2 years, and probably $1m too high as is and too much for Flames ideal salary structure. And as mentioned, it was going to cost the Flames probably $2m more per year anyways to give him the same take home pay from Nevada.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #12847
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have loved Stone but let's be serious here. We would have had to pay about 10M which would have left us 5-6M left to sign 4 forwards (including Tkchuck) and 2 goalies. It wasn't going to happen unless we sent back Neal and Frolik and that wasn't happening without giving up a lot of assets. I'm happy standing pat, wouldn't have minded another depth piece but that's it.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #12848
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. seeing the price for Stone, it just wouldn't work too well. I kinda wish we were able to pull something off for Kevin Hayes. Decent chance at re-signing with the connections on this team, and not a hefty price like Stone.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:20 PM   #12849
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think 9.5 for Stone is a bad deal at all. It isn't a 'team friendly discount', but it isn't an overpayment either. He is a game-breaker at both ends of the ice and gives you a tonne of effort every shift. Vegas definitely upgraded today. I consider him a franchise-level player.
He is also a very physical player that isn't the best skater. $9.5M over the next four years will look fair but boy is that deal going to look ugly when he hits 30 and everything starts going south. A 5 year deal would have been great but the last 3 years of that deal is going to bad imo.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #12850
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Only thing I wish the flames had done was go get Radko Gudas. Serviceable dman, and he would've been a great deterrant to any team that decides Johnny doesn't need his wrists working in the playoffs.

Just skate by their bench before game 1 and say "anybody touch Johnny, get big stick to head"

Now instead you have bennett and hamonic doing all the policing in the postseason and it is a different game and the refs put their whistles away
Old 02-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #12851
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Purely based on points, Jamie Benn and John Tavares. I would prefer Stone at his contract over Benn and Tavares at their contracts.
A tier below would be Voracek.
Tavares is a centre. Not a comparable. Plus he had 9 seasons of solid stats before his big contract.

Stats wise, Voracek has done it for a lot longer. And he makes $1.25M less.

Similarly, Benn had had numerous PPG seasons before his big contract. At or near that mark since his second season, so he had a 7 year history of those stats.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:28 PM   #12852
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tavares is a centre. Not a comparable. Plus he had 9 seasons of solid stats before his big contract.

Similarly, Benn had had numerous PPG seasons before his big contract. At or near that mark since his second season, so he had a 7 year history of those stats.
Yeah, good points, but Benn is older and is unlikely to perform as well at the end of the contract as Stone is.

Stone has had 2 consecutive point per game seasons, and has never really been below a 60 point pace.
Not bad for someone who is only 26.

At the very least, it's hard to argue that they're not comparable.
There aren't many UFA signings for point per game wingers, so you can only be so picky in distinguishing the contracts.

And I've been praising Stone, but with all that said, I wouldn't be surprised if he produces less on Vegas than he did on Ottawa.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:04 AM   #12853
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

TBH, I don't know Stone much, but that kind of money in the past was for a top line center, stud defense, a Ovechkin or Kane. Is he the best two way player in the league, Selke winner, past two seasons has been about a point per game player, this will be his first season that he will score more than thirty goals, big guy, is he more like Kopitar big or Getzlaf run-you-over big? Signing him to a contract anywhere near what he got from Vegas would have messed up this team for a while, not just the trade costs.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #12854
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come to think about it, I don't think Treliving has ever made a big deadline deal. I think he is very conservative when it comes to trading for rentals. I think it's fair to assume going forward, for the duration of Treliving's tenure, the team we see in September will pretty much be the team in April.

Off the top of my head, his biggest buy at the deadline was Lazar and you have to call that trade an L.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #12855
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Michael Stone is the biggest one that I can think of.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #12856
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't really care if the Flames acquired forwards.

Before today, the clear need was goaltending. After today, the clear need is still goaltending. No point overpaying for other areas.
The goaltending market is nonexistent, so there really wasn't much to do.

The only trade that bugs me is the Stone trade. 9.5 mill is the going rate for a point-per-game, defensively-sound, locker room-leading, winger. The contract will take Stone right through his prime, and Vegas really didn't give up all that much to get him.
That trade was a huge win for Vegas. Stone is a top 5 RW in the NHL.

I disagree ... Vegas gave up a lot to get him, which is why many in here are grateful Tre didn’t make the move. Valimaki, 1st, + is the equivalent... personally, I’d rather we keep our future assets.

I think the trade was fair, for sure, but VGS paid a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #12857
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I guess it depends how you measure it. Lazar cost more to acquire but Stone had more of an impact on the team.

Either way, neither of these players ended up being rentals. Brad will probably re-sign Fantenberg because he hates rentals LOL
Old 02-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #12858
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Lazar gave the Sens the pick they used on Formenton, who looks to be a key piece of their future. Lazar will probably be playing somewhere in Europe in a few months.

In terms of the cost paid Lazar was his biggest, and any way you cut it that trade was a big fat loss.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #12859
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think most people would take Stone over Voracek, and Stone signed for less % of the cap than Voracek did (if the projected $83 million cap holds true).

People seem to think the cap goes up every year but contracts are just going to stay the same $ wise.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #12860
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, I'm never going to defend the Lazar trade. It looked terrible from day one. But the question was about "biggest buy" and I took it as meaning impact. Stone's presence in 2016-17 really was something special, especially compared to Wideman. He was great.

Closed Thread